Dr. Charles Best Invitational 2005

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by William86_98, Oct 31, 2005.

1. William86_98

William86_98 Regular Member

Student
    Hi everyone, here is the link for the entry form for the Dr. Charles Best Invit. 2005. It is taking place Dec. 16-18, 2005. There is an age group for everyone. Please pass it on to all your friends.

Hope to see a lot of Bfers there!

Thanks.

P.S. Thank you to those that gave us input at the end of last year's tournament. We have taken steps to improve the organization of the tournament so that the problems of last year will not be repeated.

http://individual.utoronto.ca/william86_98/CB2005.doc

2. Takamsda

Takamsda Regular Member

Professional Badminton Racket Stringer at Noah's B
    Hey William.

I am sending FSBC to CB tournament. We have roughly 10 players. You will recieve entries from me by the mid Nov.

3. William86_98

Student

Thank you very much for your support.

4. William86_98

Student
    Today, I received an email from Clearone officially confirming that they will not be able to accomodate the Dr. Charles Best tournament. I was told that this is a "business decision" because Clearone had no other choice but to take this weekend, as they have to use this tournament for the grand opening of Cleartwo. So, it seems, the fact that the Dr. Charles Best forms were out first, both here on Badminton Central, and on the LMBA website, doesn't make a difference, as I have been told that they must have this weekend. I can only assume that even if our forms had been out even earlier, this clash would have still happened.

Still, I would like to let everyone know that the Dr. Charles Best Invitational will still happen. We will not be considering cancelling the tournament, as ours was the first one advertised, and we have held these December dates for the past 3 years.

As some of you might know, the Dr. Charles Best Invitational is a fundraising tournament. Like in all other years, we have already ordered prizes, shuttles, and other equipment for our tournament. At this point, it is not possible to cancel those orders. This is the first year that the tournament is in danger of losing money, and lots of it.

For the past 4 years, the Dr. Charles Best Badminton Council has been able to promote the sport of badminton in Coquitlam through our fundraising tournaments. I really feel that we have been able to attract a variety of players from all around Vancouver, and occasionally, we have even been able to invite out of town players to participate at our tournaments. As well, for the past 4 years, we have tried to give players the best tournament experience possible. I am sure that the Dr. Charles Best tournament is a unique one in many people’s minds.

Strictly speaking from the point of view of a member in the badminton community, I feel very sad that this clash of dates has happened. Firstly, it is obvious that both organizing groups will suffer a loss of participants. Secondly, a “business decision” is putting into danger a tournament that has been able to bring so many people together over so many years. Fundraising tournaments are exactly what they sound like; they are used to raise funds. If a tournament loses money, then it wouldn’t be fundraising anymore. In this case, I am sure that the school will no longer support the running of the tournament next year. I’ll be very honest, looking from the math, it appears that the school might lose more this year than what it gained by running last year’s tournament. Thus, it is entirely realistic and probable to say that this might be the last Dr. Charles Best tournament.
    I would like to thank the many of you whom have supported our tournament over the years. It is only with your support that we have been able to run our tournaments for so many years. I urge you to support us again. For the Cleartwo tournament, regardless of the outcome for their tournament, the club will still go on. They are more than able to cover for any money that they might lose from having a lower than expected turnout. And to be honest, I doubt that they will lose money. On the other hand, however, the Dr. Charles Best tournament has really been pushed to the edge of the cliff due to this clash. I feel really sad when I consider that it might never happen again, and only because of a private club’s “business decision.”

Thus, for the sake of the growth of badminton, I sincerely hope that you will choose the Dr. Charles Best Invitational for this December. Cleartwo will still be here next year if they fail, but I can assure you that this is definitely a do or die situation for the Dr. Charles Best tournaments.

Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to read all this, and I look forward to seeing you in Coquitlam from Dec. 16-18.

Thank you very much,

Sincerely,

William Wong

5. CalvinStorm

CalvinStorm New Member

student
    what is a Bfer?

6. William86_98

Student
    Badminton Forum"ers"

7. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Corporate decision ei?...

It's decisions lik this that giv corporates a bad name...

Anyway... keep badminton in Coquitlam!!! (stolen from TWU's "keep jobs in Canada" slogan) Go show ur support! :)

8. William86_98

Student
    Due to the many complaints that we had about the Black Knight shuttles that we used last year, I am glad to announce that the official shuttle for this year's CB tournament will be the Victor Green Champion shuttle.

9. chobo

chobo Regular Member

Student
    is there such thing as victor "green" champion, cuz i only heard of victor champion. what speed r the birds for this tournament?

10. Super~ME!

Super~ME! Regular Member

student
    ...and also...are they feather or nylon?...:)

11. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Victor Champions are Victor's top grade of feather shuttles in a "Green" coloured tube.

When purchasing shuttles, the speed of the shuttle is determined by the geographical zone & altitude (& sometimes the season) because air-pressure, temperature, and humidity affects the flight/speed of the shuttle.

Shuttles from the same tube will have variations in the speed, thus prior to game play, the feather shuttles can be "tipped" to either slow or speed the flight of the bird.

Generally speaking, the rated speed for Canada is 78 or 79.

Cheers!

#11 Break-My-String, Nov 29, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2005
  12. Takamsda

Takamsda Regular Member

William.

The matter we've discussed. It's been taking care of. It's on its way now. ETA within a week or so. And I am doing one group registration for ya tomorrow, and Sunday in my own group. cheers.!

13. William86_98

Student
    Thank you very much.

14. Katalio

Katalio Regular Member

It's too bad its' on the 16-18!!! Why does BOTH tourney has to be on the same dates -__-.. if it's ONLY 2 dyas later..i could've played! Damn I missed badminton!

15. William86_98

Student
    A friendly reminder to everyone that entry forms are due on Monday, Dec. 1.

Go Sign Up! =)

16. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Generally speaking, the rated speed for Canada is 78 or 79.

Cheers!

Only for you "low landers" out by the coast. We thin oxygen high altitude types use 76 or 75.

Good choice in shuttles - the BK shuttles have always been suspect.

17. Takamsda

Takamsda Regular Member

William, I thought the deadline is Dec 5th.

quote from registration form

Fax Entries:
    Due: 5:00pm Monday, December 5, 2005.
    Registration via fax can be sent to Dr. Charles Best Badminton Council at Dr. Charles Best Secondary School @ (604) 461-3913
    Note: Faxes MUST be addressed to Dr. Charles Best Badminton Council
    Email Entries:
    Due: 11:00pm Monday, December 5, 2005.
    Registration via email can be sent to cbest_tourney@hotmail.com

and I have about 25+ entries here with me. You're not telling me it's due right?

talk to me on Sat evening..

And Wolf... last yr... you cream me 2 begals in consolation... =.=

I am pretty sure I've improved since then. Let's rematch. And I'll provide shuttlecock myself

18. William86_98

Student
    yes, typo..sorry....monday dec. 5

19. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    TAKAMSDA- hopefully you weren't too put off. I try not to bagel anyone.

I won't be out this year for the tourney as I'm not in Vancouver for the holidays, but I plan to be out in the new year sometime.