MP23 Stringing tensions

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by __Lam, Nov 1, 2005.

1. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

Anyone know the maximum amount of tension an MP 23 can take? wondering cause MP23 is low end MP and kinda scared to get it restrung above 23 lbs... Its a 2U MP 23 btw.

2. daringkidz

daringkidz Regular Member

Well, if you want to follow Yonex's recommended tension then the max would be between 21 to 22lbs.

The recommended tension is usually printed on a sticker and stuck on the side of the cone area for normal yonex rackets..

3. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

yeah i know that, just wondering what the maxed out tension is, like above the reccomended tension... mine is 21 - 23 lbs btw :confused: :confused: :confused:

4. racketinter

racketinter Regular Member

the rage is 18 -23:) are u all plnning to string higher than the recommended tnsion/

5. lex1437

lex1437 Regular Member

my mp30 is strung at bg 85 @ 26 so that in a few sessions it will go to around 24lbs ..
    no sweat .. looks tough.

6. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

hmm well mp23 is very durable, so i think it should hold at least 28lbs?:confused:

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Personally, I think relatively lower end racket are build more for durability rather than playability. I don't see a point to push the tension to such a high lelvl. It will only risk the racket. :rolleyes:

8. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Electronics Tech, Badminton Junkie!
    Isn't more important to find out what tension is more suitable for your style or level of play? Rather than finding out how much tension your head can handle?

This whole 'High Tension' thing gets pushed way to far on this site and is misleading for most people .......otherwise they wouldn't be asking these questions.

Any Yonex I have owned........over 15 years has never performed better outside of the 'reccommend tension guide' on the cone............if the sticker on the cone says 18-24lbs this does not mean the racket will break if it is strung over 24lbs. If rackets did perform better at 25lbs plus wouldn't manufacturers make their rackets stronger and have the tension guide sticker say 24-30lbs? ofcourse they would.

I know alot of people will disagree with me here but I speak from many years of competition and experience.

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Each player has his or her preferred tension. However, the increasing use of higher tension also has something to do with improvements in racquets. Older racquets had to use very low tension because of the very poor modulus and/or resilence of older racquets, and a special way of hitting the shuttle-a more sling-like hitting action-was generally used. Today's racquets are ideally suited to very fast hand speed shots. Shots can be hit with a 'swating a fly' action with great power and precision, ideal for players who hold their shots.
    It is not true that the specified tension range by the racquet manufacturer is the best tension for playability. For Yonex it is prudence, for others maybe to get a marketing edge.
    I have played badminton for close to 50 years, using tensions as low as 15lbs on a 135g Dunlop Maxply. I can still play with this tension but it would not be as satisfying on today's racquets as at, say 27/30lbs.
    It may seem strange that my experience about lower tension having more power does not bear out. Lower tension may be good for that mighty smash or full length clear but I find the shuttle's elapsed time slower than higher tension.
    Another interesting observation is that most players using low tension, when given another racquet with higher tension, will prefer their own lower tension racquet. But if you string their own racquet at a 2lbs higher tension they will almost always say this is an improvement. This is how I get new and very loyal stringing customers. On the other hand, some of my stringer friends who string at low tensions, are not too happy with me. BTW I always warranty my high tension stringing on almost any modern racquet.

10. fast3r

fast3r Regular Member

What would constitute as a 'high tension'? If I gave you for example my MP88 3u to string at 30lbs, would it be guaranteed?

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Yes, no problem but I would do it 29lbs mains/32lbs crosses.

12. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Sorry, can u please explain the underline parts....don't quite understand, can explain in a different way.:)

The red part: What tension is their racket at before you restring 2lbs higher?

The Blue part: What is the tension at when you add 2lbs to their previous string job.

As going from low tension and adding 2lbs doesn't put you in the 'high tension range'

If low tension is around: 16-22lbs then going up 2lbs would bring you to:18lbs-24lbs. and you say that your most of your stringing customers notice an improvement?..........Then this would bring them within in most cases with yonex rackets somewhere in between their stated tension levels on the cones sticker, is that right?:confused:

In that case the tension is no where near 25-30lbs(what I would say is high tension) but very close to what yonex recommends?

Why would yonex state 18-24lbs on a racket if the strings they make in combination with their racket models perform best at a tension way above that stickers rating? that does not make sense:confused:

I have recently got 2 ns8k's which were strung overseas......at a ridiculus tension.......I would say approx 26lbs......the racket does not repel the shuttle nicely.....it vibrates like crazy and lacks power. I know going down in tension will improve it's performance as going up will make it worse than it is.

If yonex rackets in combination with their brand of string worked better at 25-30lbs then they would make rackets that way and garantee them. If you made/designed rackets to work well at those high tensions then you would put a sticker on them with that suggestion.........don't say you wouldn't because you would want your rackets to perform at their best otherwise no one would buy them.

Teenapak I know you are and sound very experienced and I am in no way trying to undermine you,:) PM me, I would like to discuss this more with you without clogging up this thread.

13. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

ehh, i'm just wondering what the maximum tension of it is so i can see how far my prefered tension is to the absolute maximum, the closer it is to the max, the higher chance of the head cracking so... just wanted to know

14. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

if it didn't perform better outside the reccomnded tension range, why do pros have it so high? they have it because not everyone is pro so they have reccomended tension ranges where they think it will perform best to the average players abilitys.

15. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Aprrox 30lbs......................:)

16. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

you know from experiance, or just a quick estimate?

17. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

its just the placebo effect. most people think higher tension = more power, or something.

18. LongReach

LongReach Regular Member

Glad you know that..........I just feel alot are influenced too much by alot of the high tension talk. :) And the plecebo effect you talk about is spot on.