HK Open 2005 Quarter-Final

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Open / China Open / Chinese Taipei Open ' started by badMania, Nov 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Predicted winners in bold

MEN'S SINGLES

Lin Dan vs Peter Gade (it's good to have Peter Gade winning for a change)
    Lee Chong Wei vs Wong Choong Hann
    Chen Hong vs Bao Chunlai
    Park Sung Hwan vs Shon Seung Mo

-- all (except for the last match) are tough matches and it could go either way

WOMEN'S SINGLES

Zhang Ning vs Xu Huaiwen
    Pi Hongyan vs Tracy Hallam
    Zhu Lin vs Wang Chen
    Yao Jie vs Xie Xingfang

MEN'S DOUBLES

Anthony Clark/Robert Blair vs Sudket Prapakamol/Patapol Ngernsrisuk
    Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun vs Gan Teik Chai/Abdul Latif Mohd Zakry
    Guo Zhendong/Xie Zhongbo vs Luluk Hadiyanto/Alven Yulianto
    Flandy Limpele/Eng Hian vs Jens Eriksen/Martin Lundgaard Hansen (it's a pity Markis/Hendra lost in 3 sets after winning the first set)

WOMEN'S DOUBLES

Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen vs Wei Yili/Zhao Tingting
    Lee Kyung Won/Lee Hyo Jung vs Ella Tripp/Joanne Nicholas
    Gail Emms/Donna Kellogg vs Jo Novita/Greysia Polii
    (another good performance for the no 1 Indonesian pair and they have a good chance to reach the semi-final of a 6* tournament tomorrow)
    Chien Yu-Chin/Cheng Wen-Hsing vs Gao Ling/Huang Sui

MIXED DOUBLES

Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir vs Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms
    Zhang Jun/Gao Ling vs Anthony Clark/Donna Kellogg
    Koo Kien Keat/Ooi Sock Oi vs Xie Zhongbo/Zhang Yawen
    Anggun Nugroho/Yunita Tetty vs Lee Jae Jin/Lee Hyo Jung
    (rematch of Indonesia Open semi-final....much as I hope Anggun/Yunita to win, I still think Lee/Lee will win)

So, since all Indonesian pairs win tonight, I will make a trip to watch the quarter-final tomorrow night. Any other BC members currently in HK wanna watch together?

2. rollerbuzz

rollerbuzz Regular Member

i wanna watch limpele/eng hian in the semi's at least.. haven't seen them in action for quite sometime.. go indo! go lin dan! :D

3. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    I've watched the match and they will enter quarter final tomorrow.

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i would pick wch over lcw.

5. yannie

yannie Regular Member

same goes, and also lin dan over peter gade! for sure...

6. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    The line up for men singles sucks big time! Look at 3 ouf of the 4 matches.. they are all own country's affair... wouldn't it be so much more exciting if they all get jumble up!! haha :D I blame it on the draw :p

7. FAST!

FAST! Regular Member

I don't agree with that simply because if we put all the good players in a single line, then no one will interest to watch the final. Because the result is very so obvious. Don't you think so?

8. yuval_ba

yuval_ba Regular Member

I hope you are wrong :D
    their last meeting on the WC was quite close and watching the match I think Peter made too many unforced errors.
    I think it is 50-50 chances and hope it will be Peter Gade :)

9. FAST!

FAST! Regular Member

I agreed with you, they are 50-50. But if Gade can't win the first game against LD, the chance for him is very slim.

10. Shuttlecock kin

Shuttlecock kin Regular Member

Lin Dan will not win HK 2005 open

I said 2 days ago that Taufik or Lin Dan will not win. Well, I am only 50% right thus far. Lin Dan is the best player in the world, a deservingly No.1 but his stars cannot shine all year round, its in the Feng-shui, its in the stars. WCH wins most of his titles towards the end of the Calendar year (China Open, World Runners-up etc) , he looks good and either him or Peter will triumph over Lin Dan.

I joined this site because I missed all the Singlish, Maglish and Honglish, they are so beautiful to read like

Last time he can, now cannot....or
    Yesterday result not posted, today one also can't find...
    and the gem of them all.....is
    Wow, no got result, 6 star tournament, how can? so lau-ya one, this thing no good...

:)

11. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Its so unfortunate that WCH have to face LCW in the quarters. Would hope at least they have each other in the semis or finals.

i think the match to watch will be peter vs lindan

12. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper
    Poor Gade as he is stucked with playing his archnemesis, Lin Dan, again but in an earlier stage this time.

Yeah, I think Gade can beat Lin but he needs to be patience and not make so many unforced errors. Nevertheless, it is pretty hard for him to do so since he has lost his strength and stamina, plus Lin Dan has superb attack as well as defense and stamina as well.

Boy, the odds are stacked up against him, aren't they? But I really want him to beat Lin though.

By the way have you guys noticed how in the MS matches, with the exception of the Gade vs Lin game, they are all playing against their compatratiot? If Gade pulls through, then Denmark, Malaysia, China, and Korea will all have a representative in the MS semi-final stage.

13. virusvoodoo

virusvoodoo Regular Member

court mopper
    Agreed! Lin and Gade almost always put up a good fight against each other.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT: Can we keep this thread up as the results for the Quarter-finals? Thanks.

14. nellute

nellute Regular Member

Except for the first match, all are lousy draws. The players are playing their own compatriots.

15. Shuttlecock kin

Yeah, you are right

Both WCH or LCW is good enough to be in the finals in their own right but I still fancy WCH this time. Again Peter might win or push Lin very hard, Peter, like WCH, is a late end of the calendar good player. K Johansson is the reverse, he is not going downhill, he plays well during Jan. to may be Oct. after he put all those X'mas pudding, pies and Turkey inside his system. watch out for him at All-England in March.

Hey, your own Kennectic is good player too as a fact, not an Assumption. He once nearly beat Xia Xuan when the latter was still the world champion.

16. Shuttlecock kin

Where got such thing !!

My dear,

Its not lousy draw, its because these players happen to come from countries in which badminton is like football in Brazil, still I do agree with you on a spectator point of view, it would be goos if it is WCH Vs Cheng Hong, LCW Vs SS MO and Bao Vs Park. That would make life much more exciting and we all needn't have to say "why this draw is so like that or my Indian fren would say "apa ini machang !!"

17. BaddestHawaii

BaddestHawaii Regular Member

HK Open MS Prediction

MEN'S SINGLES

1. Lin Dan vs Peter Gade

2. Lee Chong Wei vs Wong Choong Hann

3. Chen Hong vs Bao Chunlai

4. Park Sung Hwan vs Shon Seung Mo

1. Lin Dan will probably win because Peter Gade doesn't seems to be in good shape.

2. Lee Chong Wei will most likely will win over WCH as we can see Lee is in top form as his skills been polish over and over by Li Mau in the past year. He was unlucky in world championship but I think he has higher chance to win the title comparing to Lin Dan. As we can see, his win over Lin in M'sian open this year was not by chance, he was controlling Lin to the point that Lin was unable to use his smash. :D

3. No diff. since both players is from China. Bao may be advantage in terms of age but I think Chen plays better than him overall this year when he beats Lin Dan in All England 2005.

4. Shon should have no problem beating Park.

Talking about Legendary players, I think NOBODY can compare to ZHAO JIAN HUA, (not even close, may be Yang Yang :) ). When he is in mood, he can beats any players in the badminton history < 5. He is amazingly good. Probably we won't see anybody like him in the next 100 years.
    :rolleyes:

18. event

event Regular Member

Yes. IT's better to have it this way in the QF. If they were spread out, that's how you get only one country's players in the semi-finals. Everything would be like women's doubles where you always have 3 or 4 Chinese pairs in the last four with maybe the Koreans sneaking in when no one is looking. I know it sucks for Malaysia and Korea who only have 2 guys left and only one as of tomorrow but If Bao, Chen, and Lin were "jumbled up" you could end up with all 3 in the semis and that would make for a more boring SF and final.

19. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    True.. but I want both the malaysian to make it into semi finals though :crying:

20. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Matches between Lin and Gade are usually close. I have not seen Lin Dan for a while, but Gade seems to be waning as seen in the Denmark Open. So I go for Lin Dan, but I hope it's gonna be a close one again.

Wong CH may have beaten Taufik, but Lee CW is showing good form also. I will go for LCW on this one. A semi between Lee and Lin or Gade will be great.

It's hard to choose between Chen and Bao, but my gut feeling says Bao.

Shon should take this one.

All in all, the top half looks the more interesting (by miles) to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.