Badminton No 1 Lin Dan overcomes gritty Chong Wei

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Open / China Open / Chinese Taipei Open ' started by ants, Nov 5, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar

6th Nov'05

HONG KONG: China's Lin Dan marched towards the men's singles title in the US$250,000 Hong Kong Open badminton championship but said his 15-4, 15-6 semi-final victory over Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei yesterday was anything but easy.

“I was exhausted after yesterday's quarter-final match against Peter-Gade (Christensen). That took a lot out of me. My match against Lee Chong Wei was not as easy as the scoreline suggested,” said world number one Lin Dan, 22.

“My quarter-final match against Peter-Gade really got me prepared for this game. I was mentally prepared for it. I played good,” said the left-hander, the 2003 Hong Kong Open winner.

Chong Wei, who put out the challenge of compatriot Wong Choong Hann in Friday's quarter-final, matched Lin Dan with some exquisite play, but the Chinese was still able to dictate terms against the Malaysian as he gradually wore down the resistance of the world number three.

“I couldn't put pressure on him today. His speed was incredible. He moved fast around the court and his recovery was really good. I couldn't quite perform to my best and against Lin Din you have to if you are to have any chance of beating him,” said 23-year-old Chong Wei, last month's Denmark Open winner.

“It has been a tiring few weeks since I won the Denmark Open. Lin Dan was just faster than me and played the points better than me,” he added.

Lin Dan will play either compatriot Bao Chunlai, the third seed, or South Korean Shon Seung-mo in today's final.

Meanwhile, Olympic champion Zhang Ning of China was in imperious form as she stormed into today's final after putting out the challenge of France's Pi Hongyan, the fourth seed, 11-3, 13-11 in her semi-final.

Zhang has yet to drop a game so far in the tournament, but was in danger of tarnishing her record against the former Chinese national player, who played a hard-fought second game.

Pi, last month's Denmark Open winner, led 11-10 in the second before Zhang executed some irretrievable returns and drop shots, winning the game and match when Pi hit a return into the net.

“She (Zhang) played very well today and I didn't think I played badly. I didn't feel confident enough. She's an attacking player and her game is always dangerous.

“I am sad to have lost the match but I am satisfied with my play. Hopefully, I will play better against her in future,” said the 26-year-old.