User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by doublewings
    Please give squash a try. It's miuch more than just hitting the ball against the wall. You may find them equally fun.

-dw
    You've got to be kidding. Squash is a war of attrition Reason I kept to badminton was the excitement of seeing the "smash"! It's an extra dimension to the game that squash doesn't have.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Thinking Badminton

[QUOTE=doublewings]

Well.. of course the squash is my own personal opinion, no offence to squash lovers. I have tried both squash and racquet ball against the wall. I suppose it's just not a suitable sport for me. I used to play tennis too for 6 years and now I can't even hold the racquet it's so heavy. I guess I'm only connected to badminton. I just find badminton fascinating though. I think the speed and the anticipation of where your opponent is going to hit is amazing. With Squash the wall hits you back and you kind of know where it's going but badminton is alot of anticipation and the speed at which you can anticipate and move your body to that spot. I mean when you see the WC players, they need to decide where to hit the birdie in a split second. Mike was just telling me that he had a breakthrough to try to connect the dots by thinking 5 shots ahead!! How CAN?? He said while he is hitting one shot he needs to anticipate where his opponent will return shot so he can get there first and hit his next shot and so on... I can't even think 1 shot ahead let alone 5, but he can do it and so can his friend and coach at GGBC Jinsong. When I was chatting with WC players they were "studying" their opponents on video so they think one whole game ahead.

Of course the WORSE injury is ruptured achilles tendon which my friend and my friends friend both ruptured and my friend, in fact, Mike Yang owner of GGBC spent 1 full month in hospital and 1 depressing year in therapy, but I can tell you, tennis elbow is depressing enough too cos I been having it now for 4 months and I'm very miserable.... But I will just make sure I have a SPARE in my left arm!

Sally
    Last edited by GGsally; 11-17-2005 at 10:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GGsally
    Of course the WORSE injury is ruptured achilles tendon which my friend and my friends friend both ruptured and my friend, in fact, Mike Yang owner of GGBC spent 1 full month in hospital and 1 depressing year in therapy, but I can tell you, tennis elbow is depressing enough too cos I been having it now for 4 months and I'm very miserable.... But I will just make sure I have a SPARE in my left arm!

Sally
    Oh, sad to hear that you're sufferring from tennis elbow now. I think I know how frustrating it can be. Had it a few years ago and end up have to take a complete rest for 4 months or so. Now it's okay but have to wear an elblow support whenever I play badminton, squash or tennis, for protection and precaution if nothing else. The bad thing is I don't feel comfortable swinging the clubs anymore. Guess won't be 100% anymore.

So if you can allow your elbow to have a complete rest, for that i mean put away your racquets, for a couple of months, i guess you should be fine. Hope you get over it soon and enjoy badminton to its fullness again.

-dw

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung
    You've got to be kidding. Squash is a war of attrition Reason I kept to badminton was the excitement of seeing the "smash"! It's an extra dimension to the game that squash doesn't have.
    Doublewing is spot on about squash. Unless you know how to play it well, you'll just see it as hitting a ball against a wall. Squash is a tremendous sport requiring most of the attributes of badminton (footwork, anticipation, stamina, racket control and skill).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tennis elbow is depressing enough too cos I been having it now for 4 months and I'm very miserable.... But I will just make sure I have a SPARE in my left arm!

Sally
    You could work on your footwork in the meantime Doesn't require you to swing a racket.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=doublewings]

That's like a no way impossible to stay away unless I'm immobile which I will still try to find a way then. I don't know how I lived without badminton before. My friend told me she pained for 9 months so there is still hope for me. I'm wearing every kind of protection device on the market. I look like some kind of robot or something. ha ha.. Thanx for your sympathy though!

Sally

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madbad
    You could work on your footwork in the meantime Doesn't require you to swing a racket.
    That's exactly what everyone telling me, but me so naughty, footwork... BORING. ha ha..

S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=GGsally]

Sally
    Yes this is one of the reasons i stopped training full time here. The achilles is so important for badminton, i felt when i strengthen the muscle at the gym it really helped prevent my injury.

Jon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=GGsally]

I look like some kind of robot or something. ha ha..

Sally
    Um ... Sally and robot, reminds me of 'I Love Maria' (1998).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alloh
    wooww... leng lui from Austria huh? Anyone knows her name? Any more pic?

Why Zhang JieWen look like Tony Gunawan?
    I think her name's Tania - saw a pic of her at a club i play at for school.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madbad
    Doublewing is spot on about squash. Unless you know how to play it well, you'll just see it as hitting a ball against a wall. Squash is a tremendous sport requiring most of the attributes of badminton (footwork, anticipation, stamina, racket control and skill).
    Oh, I'm not saying sqaush does not have the attributes of - footwork, anticipation, stamina, racket control and skill. It has all of those. Once you get to a high level, the rallies become very prolonged. Badminton has an extra dimension that is not so available to players of squash.
    Badminton has variations in the game which are available to even occasional palyers of the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung
    Oh, I'm not saying sqaush does not have the attributes of - footwork, anticipation, stamina, racket control and skill. It has all of those. Once you get to a high level, the rallies become very prolonged. Badminton has an extra dimension that is not so available to players of squash.
    Badminton has variations in the game which are available to even occasional palyers of the game.
    Ive only started to pick up squash in the last few months, but becoz of my "not so strong" baddy, tennis and maths (trig ) background, after learning how to hit to the backwall, Ive managed to kick everybody including the guys in local team.... I dont see that as competitive as badminton and smashing in squash is just like another rally (not an instant kill) but the good thing is that one can play alone. Just my 2cents..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sudda
    I think her name's Tania - saw a pic of her at a club i play at for school.
    Luis is her last name and from Victoria if my memory serves me correct, have been seeing her name on a few international tourneys quite recently..

I simply dont know how the Aussies and Kiwis can afford the trips and stuffs... so jealous

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=GGsally]

Well.. of course the squash is my own personal opinion, no offence to squash lovers. I have tried both squash and racquet ball against the wall. I suppose it's just not a suitable sport for me. I used to play tennis too for 6 years and now I can't even hold the racquet it's so heavy. I guess I'm only connected to badminton. I just find badminton fascinating though. I think the speed and the anticipation of where your opponent is going to hit is amazing. With Squash the wall hits you back and you kind of know where it's going but badminton is alot of anticipation and the speed at which you can anticipate and move your body to that spot. I mean when you see the WC players, they need to decide where to hit the birdie in a split second. Mike was just telling me that he had a breakthrough to try to connect the dots by thinking 5 shots ahead!! How CAN?? He said while he is hitting one shot he needs to anticipate where his opponent will return shot so he can get there first and hit his next shot and so on... I can't even think 1 shot ahead let alone 5, but he can do it and so can his friend and coach at GGBC Jinsong. When I was chatting with WC players they were "studying" their opponents on video so they think one whole game ahead.

Sally

Hi Sally, I've been in a car accident a year or so ago and was forced to play baddy with my left arm since I was so addicted to the sport. After playing for a month or 2, Ive managed to pick up my left leg footwork and since my recovery, I was left with a more than confused footwork that was like a twisting lizard... but the inspiring thing is that I found my slices (LH) to be more accurate (I could feel and pin point it) and faster than the same action for the RH and my logic of the game has gone up to a new level. So, yeah injuries are not always bad. Just make sure you give it enough rest.

Fortunately I would be visiting HK at the end of the year. So, probably see you on court then! ( if you play in public stadiums, that is! )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Dude, you should be awarded BF's most fanatical badder under injury. Your determination not to quit the game and to use your left side is just amazing. Do you look at life differently now that you can use left and right side?

[QUOTE=manabu]

Hi Sally, I've been in a car accident a year or so ago and was forced to play baddy with my left arm since I was so addicted to the sport. After playing for a month or 2, Ive managed to pick up my left leg footwork and since my recovery, I was left with a more than confused footwork that was like a twisting lizard... but the inspiring thing is that I found my slices (LH) to be more accurate (I could feel and pin point it) and faster than the same action for the RH and my logic of the game has gone up to a new level. So, yeah injuries are not always bad. Just make sure you give it enough rest.

Fortunately I would be visiting HK at the end of the year. So, probably see you on court then! ( if you play in public stadiums, that is! )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Let us, the VRC morning crew, bring out the best in you when you visit Vancouver. You will shed footwork aversion in one night .

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/foru...uver+lazybuddy

That's exactly what everyone telling me, but me so naughty, footwork... BORING. ha ha..

S
    Last edited by Pete LSD; 11-18-2005 at 09:50 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=manabu][QUOTE=GGsally]

Oh Manabu you are sooo right! Twisting lizard! That's ME!! I'm going to use that now cos I couldn't describe how my body was going everywhere! I'm so glad I'm not the only one. Yes my footwork is all ascew now. You have really inspired me cos now I know I CAN get to a new level! I will wait for that day VERY anxiously!

Thank you so much! I play at South China in Causeway Bay Tuesday nights 7-10 11th floor, Sunday 1p-3p 3rd floor and again from 5p-8p 11th floor.

Sally

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast