User Tag List

wong

Default new 7 point system??

<html>hey guys, what do you all think if the new 7 point system proposed by the IBF???<p>i have not read anywhere whether its still the best of 3 games - which would mean a dramatic shortening of games (if it were the best of 3)!<br>anyone knows whether its the best of 3 or the best of 5???<p>hope maybe someone from the IBF or someone knowledgeable is reading this and can give us some answers!
    </html>

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: new 7 point system?? but not to few games, rig

<html>My only reservation is that in badminton, many of the points have runs of 5 or 6 points.<br>Wouldn't it be funny, just a couple of runs of points and you'll either be two games up or down.<br>People should try it out. Best of 5 games or best of 7 games.<p>If best of 5 games, then winning 3 out of 5 will win the match. This means the winning team only needs 21 points to score victory.<br>Matches will be even shorter.<p>Need four games to win best of 7 games match. The minimum total scoring points for a win would be 28 which sounds pretty OK.<p>More intermission breaks will certainly add to the commentary analysis and some more slow motion action replays of crucial points.<p><p><p><p><p><br>: hey guys, what do you all think if the new 7 point system proposed by the IBF???<p>: i have not read anywhere whether its still the best of 3 games - which would mean a dramatic shortening of games (if it were the best of 3)!<br>: anyone knows whether its the best of 3 or the best of 5???<p>: hope maybe someone from the IBF or someone knowledgeable is reading this and can give us some answers!<p>
    </html>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: new 7 point system?? but not to few games, rig

<html>I agree with your reservation, also that best of 7 games is preferable. The present system, best of 3 games, requires players to score at least 30 points when they win 2 games; which compares to 28 points winning 4 of 7 games. I like the present system, because it emphasizes endurance and long-term strategy (example, tiring your opponent), but if a change would make badminton more popular it's worth considering. : My only reservation is that in badminton, many of the points have runs of 5 or 6 points.<br>: Wouldn't it be funny, just a couple of runs of points and you'll either be two games up or down.<br>: People should try it out. Best of 5 games or best of 7 games.<p>: If best of 5 games, then winning 3 out of 5 will win the match. This means the winning team only needs 21 points to score victory.<br>: Matches will be even shorter.<p>: Need four games to win best of 7 games match. The minimum total scoring points for a win would be 28 which sounds pretty OK.<p>: More intermission breaks will certainly add to the commentary analysis and some more slow motion action replays of crucial points.<p><p><p>: <br>: : hey guys, what do you all think if the new 7 point system proposed by the IBF???<p>: : i have not read anywhere whether its still the best of 3 games - which would mean a dramatic shortening of games (if it were the best of 3)!<br>: : anyone knows whether its the best of 3 or the best of 5???<p>: : hope maybe someone from the IBF or someone knowledgeable is reading this and can give us some answers!<p>
    </html>

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: longer break between games

<html>At present, there is only a 90second break between the 1st and 2nd game. The reason for this was to increase advertising exposure. However, it means only one short advert can be shown.<br>If badminton wants to bring in more TV advertising, it will have to bring in a longer break between games.<br>Having a best-of-7-game match will take full advantage of this and we could also get a chance to re-runs of crucial points.<p>At the moment, the duration of gaps between points is such that only the last 3 shots of the previous point can be reasonably shown before the next point is already on its way.<p>However, the setting up of the winning shot sometimes takes place 4,5 or more points back. An audience really needs to see these set-ups to learn more about how a shot is used to create an advantage and for themselves to try out later.<p>Cheung<p><p>: I agree with your reservation, also that best of 7 games is preferable. The present system, best of 3 games, requires players to score at least 30 points when they win 2 games; which compares to 28 points winning 4 of 7 games. I like the present system, because it emphasizes endurance and long-term strategy (example, tiring your opponent), but if a change would make badminton more popular it's worth considering. : My only reservation is that in badminton, many of the points have runs of 5 or 6 points.<br>: : Wouldn't it be funny, just a couple of runs of points and you'll either be two games up or down.<br>: : People should try it out. Best of 5 games or best of 7 games.<p>: : If best of 5 games, then winning 3 out of 5 will win the match. This means the winning team only needs 21 points to score victory.<br>: : Matches will be even shorter.<p>: : Need four games to win best of 7 games match. The minimum total scoring points for a win would be 28 which sounds pretty OK.<p>: : More intermission breaks will certainly add to the commentary analysis and some more slow motion action replays of crucial points.<p><p>: : <br>: : : hey guys, what do you all think if the new 7 point system proposed by the IBF???<p>: : : i have not read anywhere whether its still the best of 3 games - which would mean a dramatic shortening of games (if it were the best of 3)!<br>: : : anyone knows whether its the best of 3 or the best of 5???<p>: : : hope maybe someone from the IBF or someone knowledgeable is reading this and can give us some answers!<p>
    </html>

SO

Default I am not convinced its just the scoring

<html>I think I read somewhere that the change is to make the game more interesting from a commercial & TV perspective.<br>So that viewers are not bored with too long matches. In fact on the contrary, if you look at some of the recent TC games, they have been too short.<br>On this note lets look at other well followed and televised sports.<br>Soccer, arguably the most popular sport in the world - 1 1/2 hours with on average 2- 3 goals, sometimes none.<br>Tennis, on average, much longer than any badminton games.<br>Golf, over days, with a lot of time on walking ans scenery.<br>Cricket, test match over 5 days and limited overs, 1 day.<br>So I don't think its just scoring thats keeping badminton from being a more popular global sport than it should be.<br>So what is it? Is it lack of active presence of the US?<br>This would help from a commercial perspective as it is a populous and wealthy nation.<br>But Soccer and FI racing does very well indeed without that.<br>Speaking of FI, talk about potentially boring. I have been to one and all you do is watch cars zoom past you for a few seconds at 200mph.<br>But I enjoyed it because the whole event had atmosphere.<br>And Bernie Ecclestone has managed to bring FI from relative obcurity to its success now. How did he do it?<br>Whatever it it is - its not just the scoring. IBF has to look a bit harder!!!<br>
    </html>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

um... im kinda confused... whats this 7 point scoring system??? Isnt there only the new scoring system and the old scoring system discussion??? wahts the 7 point scoring about??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by White_Gemini91
    um... im kinda confused... whats this 7 point scoring system??? Isnt there only the new scoring system and the old scoring system discussion??? wahts the 7 point scoring about??
    You resurrected a thread from 2000. There was a 7 point scoring system back then in which you play a 7 point game, 3 out of 5. It lasted only 2 years i think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*phew*, that's good, at least we hopefully won't have to deal with it now... Just to hope that the 21 pt rally system won't be implemented..