Trying out the new scoring system

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ViningWolff, Nov 9, 2005.

1. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Wow - the games sure are quick.

What I noticed it that with two even players, conditioniong is now not at a premium as before. Even with a 21-19 game, that's only 40 rallies - that's it. No more of this back a forth serve where you can wear the other person down. ( or in my case, get worn down :eek: )

Serve it at a premium - I can see the high serve not being used much. One good smash or quick slice and you've immediatly got that point back. The guy I was playing against lost the third game by serving into the net.

I feel It's going to make people be very conservative as you can dig yourself a hole VERY quickly with rally point. Trying that trick shot that before might only lose your serve, is now a point against. Makes yo think twice about it.

We never tried it out with doubles, but we can see that the pressure on server is going to be huge.

I found that I played a more bread and butter game by the end of the night. Guy that normally trounce got game off me too.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    was your 21 point system a rally point or point on serve system?

#2 cooler, Nov 9, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Not just the # of rallies will be "countable" now (means, less than the old system), we can also find the result from "probability" point of view:

In old system, say 50-50 even match. You need to hit the 50%*50% = 25% chance to get a point (if ur opponent serve 1st, u need to win 2 consecutive rallies to start to score). But now, u only need 50%, which in theory, is a much larger chance and easier task. ;)

4. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    We were playing rally point.

Exactly LB. We saw that last night in the one game when we both had problems with serve.

We're going to play it some more to see how it work out, but I know my mentality changes over the course of a few games. ( most my smashes went for the body and I tended to do more lobs than flicks at the net to make sure they didn't go long.

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    But on the other hand, being too conservative is not good in a short game. You need to attack to gain the control. In old system, u can play good conservative defensive games to tire out the more aggressive opponents. However, with the game to be shortened, such strategy might not work any more. :rolleyes:

6. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    How the new system suppose to work in double games? I mean, if say my team lost the rally on 1st serve:

1. We lost 1 pt, and the right to serve to the team?

2. We lost 1 pt, and 2nd player can still serve?

3. 2nd player still serve, if against lose the rally, lose the right and 1 pt?

Which one? :confused:

7. ViningWolff

Process Engineer

2. We lost 1 pt, and 2nd player can still serve?

I assumed this one - we figured that if both players served into the net - they would go side out, and two points down. You have a bad serving day and it'll be murder.

8. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I think it is going to take a while to get used to and VW, you are right in that the way it is proposed, the server will be at a disadvantage. Damn, a maximum total of 45 rallies per game is pretty quick. Maybe it will allows us (who don't have dedicated badminton facilities) to get more games in although not sure if they will be better quality games or just a matter of finishing each game faster.

I think the new proposed scoring system is still following the normal rules other than the fact that you can earn or lost a point during each rally so in doubles, you will probably get to serve at an average of 10 times?

9. ViningWolff

Process Engineer
    The first game, we were so screwed up trying to keep track of score. Strating serve at one point was bizarre and many times we were, " 13-9" - no wait you served to me, so it's 14-9... did you count the last time I lost serve... then it's 14-10... right?"

Bewildered look all around.

We'll try some doubles out next week and keep track of the services.

I can tell you that it sure shook my confidence in my typical "roof scraping" high serve as I tended to leave them short for fear of putting them long. Ended up going to a short serve to put me back on the offensive right away.

10. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    I took the liberty of going through the WC 2005 MD between Candra/Sigit and Jonas/Las where C/S won 2 games to 1.

Current New
    First 15-10 (29:45) 23-21 (18:45)
    Second 11-15 (16:45) 21-16 (12:08)

Under the new system, C/S would have won two games straight and in a total time of just over 30 minutes compared to 67:35

11. sharkw

sharkw Regular Member

Why why why!!!???

<rant on>
    Just found out about the proposed new scoring system. What the &*$(#? Just what is the IBF trying to achieve? Making the scoring easier so that there's more television coverage in America? Let's see, that 5 games to 7 or 9 or whatever worked out just great. When will they get it through their thick skulls that no new scoring sytem will accomplish what they want - there are other ways to make badminton more TV-friendly but that's a topic for another post.

What the changes will achieve: shorter matches. No more long 3 set classic battles with multiple changes of serve with the game on the line. More upsets. Lower quality matches overall (all my opinion, but feel free to disagree with me!)

Scoring changes I would be in favour of: making LS best of 3 to 15, but making LD best of 3 to 11 or 12. The old argument against LS players not having enough stamina to play three sets to 15 is outdated, if it was ever a valid one. Meanwhile some LD matches do get a bit tedious when both sides' offence just cannot break through.

Call me a dinosaur. An old fart who enjoys running his opponent around and doesn't need to win every rally (or even most of the rallies) to win the match. Whatever - these IBF rule changes are just driving me nuts and I had to get this off my chest.
    <rant off>