1. kaustubh

kaustubh Regular Member

I was going through rules of service in badminton, what does the term delivered means,

9.1.3 some part of both feet of the server and receiver must remain in contact with the surface of the court in a stationary position from the start of the service until the service is delivered (Law 9.6);

9.6 Once the service is started (Law 9.4), it is delivered when the shuttle is hit by the server's racket or, in attempting to serve, the server misses the shuttle.

Does it means the moment the server's racquet hits the shuttle the receiver can charge to the net or move from the position?

2. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

yes... hmm since i gotta type more characters for a post.... hmmmm this should do :p

3. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    Yeah. It's the moment the server's racquet makes contact with the shuttle. :)

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. and conversely, it means the receiver cannot move before the server's racket contacts the shuttle.

otherwise, the umpire will say, "fault, receiver".

5. manduki

manduki Regular Member

Student
    hmmm a childish thought but what if you sorta phych (?) him into moving his feet my mis-swinging a bit or stopping in the middle?

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    that's illegal. it must be one smooth forward motion.

7. Russki Bear

Russki Bear Regular Member

IT
    I hate that, when the server makes you move about before actually serving. Most of the time at our club it is not intentional, but it is very annoying. Especially prevalent with new guys.

8. SandeepD

SandeepD Regular Member

How can they "make you" move about? :D

If it's because of mis-swinging/interrupted swinging during the serve, then it's a fault and they should lose the serve - that makes it their problem.

If it's because they are serving properly but since they are new you haven't yet learned how to predict how their serve will go, then it's your problem that you have chosen to move inappropriately in response to a legal serve.

Actually this raises an interesting point (interesting to me that is) - if they don't have one smooth forward motion in their serve, and you start to move before the serve in response to it, is it declared a 'let' because both sides have faulted? Intuitively it seems that it isn't really the receiver's fault in that situation, but I would like to know how the scenario is meant to be handled from the more experienced players.

9. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

As soon as the players have "set" in their serving/receiving positions, the serve is defined as commencing with the first forward movement of the server's racket.

If the server makes a forward movement and then a backward movement, he has committed a fault. The rally is over, and nothing the receiver does matters.

On the other hand, if the receiver moves and THEN the server moves his racket backwards for a second stroke, then the receiver committed the fault first.

The rally ends with the first fault. Whoever makes the first fault loses the rally.