User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD
    The rule of thumb is real good friend do not do business together and do not talk about money .
    True, GuavaWang and I just take turns buying each other dinner.

And if he were to break one of my rackets, I wouldn't think twice about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is the first time happened to me in thirty years that my partner broke my racket. The shuttle was on my right side, as I hit the bird (which I got it first) he uses he back hand smash right into my center side frame and broke! The problem is not an accident, he is the guy who likes to hit even the bird is not flying towards his side. I warmed him many times that he should not try to hit when the bird is not on his side. So I ask him to pay me Cdn$250.00 Li Ling Wood N90. I am not an unreasonable person, if my racket broke due to an accident. I would not ask him to pay for the damage; however, he knows his problem, he always like to steal the hit even it is not on his side. Well, guess what, he refused to pay! He says to me that one time someone broke his racket and that person did not pay him. I told him that he shall ask him to pay if it is not his fault. See I can live if it was an accident meaning if the bird is over the center and we both try to return the bird at the same time. But this time the bird is on my side and he reaches over trying to steal the hit and broke my racket! The other point is he has been playing badminton for over twenty years, he should have known better... I told him, if I break someone's racket, I will pay him/her back. These days, some people are just shameless...!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

that has happened to me too. a big swinger partner of mine broke my brand new cab20 JP. that was many years ago.

it is a tough situation. usually, the unspoken rule is the person who is holding the racket is responsible for the racket. no one want to be at fault as no one go out deliberately to break other people's stuff. the gray area is unfortunately so large that no matter what amount of arguing will let everyone agree. and in the end, it is just a racket, perhaps a friendship is worth more than that.

such players are to be avoided in the future, or just bring out the good old aluminum racket.

oh. and i didn't say anything to my friend.

probably not the answer you are looking for.

4. Likes Fidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I now keep a low to mid end racket or two as a loaner for others. As others have posted, only lend out what you can afford to lose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

i have a few low end yonex rackets that i keep in my bag in case people ask me for a spare. if i am lazy and forgot to bring out the crappy rackets, i just tell them politely that i don't have any rackets that i am willing to lend out because they are dear to me, and i also tell them that i am anal and very particular about my rackets, and i tell them i'm very sorry for my personality. even tho i didn't have to explain, but everytime i say that, they do understand and wouldn't give me a hard time about it. and with that, i don't have to worry, ever, about my good rackets being broken. those i lend out are on the verge of being thrown to the trash anyway because of cracks and chips anyway. there has been times where i bought new high end rackets and even people from my church group wanted to try and i just kindly tell them that i do have a demo program offered and that they would be better off checking with Racket Supply

very sorry for your lost nonetheless

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i play doubles, i always keep in mind that the vast majority of people don't understand how the game should be played - constantly trying to get shuttles out of their reach, always in the way with their stupid backhands on the center, at the same time they're always standing blantly in their half when i attack from the back court, instead of protecting the line of the attack. If i catch even a glimpse that my partner is going for the shuttle i'm about to hit, i stop immediately.
    clashes are normal but 90% of them MUST happen only in defense.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

too me, all these situations are quite clear:

1. if i lend someone my racket and i'm not involved in the game, he has to give it back. (that means: if he breaks it, he'll pay for it.)

2. if i play doubles and we clash rackets, everyone pays for his own racket. clashes do happen in doubles games. sometimes a racket is destroyed. i wouldn't even talk about it for a second! just throw the racket away, get a new one, play on... if you can't deal with it, buy cheaper rackets, go play singles, whatever.
    (if someone in the club regularly destroyed rackets because he's taking the shuttle all the time, i just wouldn't play with him anymore. nevertheless, if i play with him and my racket breaks, that's my problem.)

9. Likes eteran, gundamzaku, Fidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tomtung View Post
    It is the first time happened to me in thirty years that my partner broke my racket. The shuttle was on my right side, as I hit the bird (which I got it first) he uses he back hand smash right into my center side frame and broke! The problem is not an accident, he is the guy who likes to hit even the bird is not flying towards his side. I warmed him many times that he should not try to hit when the bird is not on his side. So I ask him to pay me Cdn$250.00 Li Ling Wood N90. I am not an unreasonable person, if my racket broke due to an accident. I would not ask him to pay for the damage; however, he knows his problem, he always like to steal the hit even it is not on his side. Well, guess what, he refused to pay! He says to me that one time someone broke his racket and that person did not pay him. I told him that he shall ask him to pay if it is not his fault. See I can live if it was an accident meaning if the bird is over the center and we both try to return the bird at the same time. But this time the bird is on my side and he reaches over trying to steal the hit and broke my racket! The other point is he has been playing badminton for over twenty years, he should have known better... I told him, if I break someone's racket, I will pay him/her back. These days, some people are just shameless...!
    I have had this happen to me. Exactly the same situation as yours. I am taking the shuttle on my forehand as the partner swings a backhand into the shuttle. His racquet collapses and mine stays intact. My racquet is a carbonex 20cn and his is a iso800cn.

The partner is an ex-international player!!

For your case, you have some implicit acceptance of risk, even more so if he is known to you. My suggestion is that either you don't partner him or you use a racquet you can afford to lose.

I have had one idiot opponent do a full forecourt power smash while I am at the forecourt. I tried to turn away and just managed to do so enough for the shuttle to strike the bony orbit of my eye. That was a shot that would have blinded me and was totally unnecessary. I refuse to be with that person on court ever again (other people around me are unaware of my feelings).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol, if you're in the way when i smash (even from the frontcourt), that's your problem. just get your face out of the way when things might get dangerous...

(obv i try not to aim at opponents in training and risk losing a point in a training-match, but when it comes to competition you can't think "oh, i don't want to hit him." you just do your stroke, if he's in the way it's his problem...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by |_Footwork_| View Post
    lol, if you're in the way when i smash (even from the frontcourt), that's your problem. just get your face out of the way when things might get dangerous...

(obv i try not to aim at opponents in training and risk losing a point in a training-match, but when it comes to competition you can't think "oh, i don't want to hit him." you just do your stroke, if he's in the way it's his problem...)
    If you deliberately aim for my head to cause injury, I will punch you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    If you deliberately aim for my head to cause injury, I will punch you.
    i would never deliberately aim at someone's head!
    sometimes i go for a bodysmash deliberately. and if i'm at the net and try to kill the shuttle, i won't look and try to not hit you. usually the game is to fast and caring about my opponent's security is not my business (and i don't have the time to care, i just go for the netkill...). sometimes you get hit by a shuttle in the face at fast netgames, that's part of the game and may happen. (aiming at opponent's face with a full smash after a very weak net shot is a totally different thing! i've never done that my whole life...)

14. Likes gundamzaku liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

sometimes i go for a bodysmash deliberately. and if i'm at the net and try to kill the shuttle, i won't look and try to not hit you. usually the game is to fast and caring about my opponent's security is not my business (and i don't have the time to care, i just go for the netkill...). sometimes you get hit by a shuttle in the face at fast netgames, that's part of the game and may happen. (aiming at opponent's face with a full smash after a very weak net shot is a totally different thing! i've never done that my whole life...)
    Good to have clarified you do not endorse deliberately smashing from the forecourt into the opponent's face in the forecourt.

16. Likes gundamzaku liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    I have had one idiot opponent do a full forecourt power smash while I am at the forecourt. I tried to turn away and just managed to do so enough for the shuttle to strike the bony orbit of my eye. That was a shot that would have blinded me and was totally unnecessary. I refuse to be with that person on court ever again (other people around me are unaware of my feelings).
    I don't know how that could happen to you. When i play with weaker partners and they are at the back court, i'm covering the net, there're a lot of loose drop shots that a good opponent will immediately kill. I always crunch and turn away as fast as i can, i don't care about the point.

18. Likes gundamzaku liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swunk View Post
    I don't know how that could happen to you. When i play with weaker partners and they are at the back court, i'm covering the net, there're a lot of loose drop shots that a good opponent will immediately kill. I always crunch and turn away as fast as i can, i don't care about the point.
    Once you get more experienced and seen more on court, you'll understand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gee,that sounds like a big hit.I would buy a same racquet again,I believe that a very good racquet breaks easily;a so so racquet isn't easy to break.I'm maybe wrong.I always get a couple of one kind.Here in Taiwan we deal with it this way.Who ever breaks a racquet,you buy one, very good one directly from distributors or manufacturers,tell them it's a compensation,we always get a huge discount.That way,no one hurts.
    Man,losing a racquet has never been easy,a man should "swallow it,wash it down with a double scotch.
    If you were here in Taiwan,I would keep my eyes open on manufacturers' hand and grab a couple of good ones for ya.It isn't hard to do so here.
    I saw that happened once in Montreal,I wanted to give out a fly power to one who lost his racquet,they didn't talk nicely,so I walked away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You have 3 options when someone needs a racket and you have a spare to lend.

1. Give it to them, say nothing and if it breaks just accept it.( if he offers to pay that would be a bonus/ a nice thing to do, but if he doesn't then you learn your lesson)

2. Say you can borrow one of my rackets but if anything happens to it strings/frame(whatever conditions you like) you pay ok? wait for answer then give or not depending on answer.

3. Don't lend anyone your rackets.

Since I am guessing OP is in the #1 category you just have to accept it. Your lesson is this guy that borrowed it does not have the same moral code as you. Other lesson is when it comes to contracts of any type(even with a friend) never assume/leave anything unsaid before you agree to something(unless of course you are not bothered on outcome). Welcome to planet earth horrible place.

22. Likes gundamzaku liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default caring for opponent's security

sometimes i go for a bodysmash deliberately. and if i'm at the net and try to kill the shuttle, i won't look and try to not hit you. usually the game is to fast and
    caring about my opponent's security is not my business (and i don't have the time to care, i just go for the netkill...). sometimes you get hit by a shuttle in the face at fast netgames, that's part of the game and may happen. (aiming at opponent's face with a full smash after a very weak net shot is a totally different thing! i've never done that my whole life...)
    Perhaps those words did not come about properly. I was gob-smacked when I read this as this is quite contrary a sentiment of sportsmanship, and that too in a non-contact sport!

Without changing the original thread, which incidentally was revived after being dormant from Nov '05 and was about responsibility for breaking a racquet, in most sporting contests, there are written and implied aspects of that sport, one of them is caring about the safety of the opponent. Consider this, you could win that rally, at what cost? And I am certain, most people across the net will be grateful of not being hit in the face, eyes, especially when the hitter could easily have done that. That is control, control of racquet, control of the shuttle, control of emotions.
    <end thread-hijack reply>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast