Is the VRC worth it for a teen?

Discussion in 'Vancouver Racquets Club' started by J.T.M.X., Nov 11, 2005.

1. J.T.M.X.

J.T.M.X. Regular Member

Newbie on BC here. Hi guys!

Been wondering about the VRC. What kind of teen player is it really for? I know the membership fee isn't really steep in comparison to other clubs, but it's not really peanuts for a highschooler. What kind of facilities to they have?

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Hey JTMX,

Welcome to BF! Glad to know your interest in VRC. For more details about the club, you should go on their website at www.vrc.bc.ca and also check out previous threads on VRC. Just from reading the older threads, you'll find out alot about our club. Happy reading;)!

3. J.T.M.X.

J.T.M.X. Regular Member

Thanks for the suggestion! Probably not going to join, though the club looks good.

4. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    No problem. If you're used to higher standard of play in Singapore, VRC is the only affordable alternative outside of the other private clubs. Community centers have some very good players, but they stick to their own group most of the time. Also, be aware that C.C. facilities are not geared towards the sport. When you tire from playing in the C.C., give VRC a try;).

5. badelbow

badelbow Regular Member

There is properby still a waiting list to join VRC Junior Membership!
    VRC is a non profit club as general memberships "pay" part of the Junior Training program by giving up their court times for junior Trainings.
    You may not find a better facility in Vancouver. VRC has produced many of the National Top Ranking Juniors from U12s to U19s

6. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    And the credit doesn't go to the head coach - cough and spit :p .

7. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    no... but the credit is gladly taken by that same head coach...

8. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Tsk, tsk, you guys...he's been doing it for years and no one had said anything about it to him so why would he stop?

After all if someone did, he can always point to his "Coach of the Year" award (choke, gag, etc.) and go "hey, I'm da Man!" :D

9. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student

Do you guys see a "Clear" exodus/defection of junior players from VRC across the Fraser river to a certain facility? :confused: :confused: Because if JTMX is looking for primarily training, he may consider that place instead.

10. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yes, lots of juniors goes to "you know where" to train and still retains their junior membership at VRC :D . The very thought of the head coach really disgust me.

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yes, the guy ate it so to speak :p .

12. J.T.M.X.

J.T.M.X. Regular Member

Head coach

Ok, I'm missing something. What's with the head coach?

13. wing-omega5-0

wing-omega5-0 Regular Member

Student(uni)
    dey all sound like they're talking about c1....XD. honestly i'm not getting wut they're saying either.
    JTMX u say ur teen? wut skool/age/lvl of play are u at?

14. flyingbird007

flyingbird007 New Member

Beware at the "head coach C" at VRC.

MING at VRC is a good coach I would say, having won his olympic championship and have been putting full time commitment in coaching perhaps should have been developing lots of national players for Canada and VRC. Unfortunately, the "Head Coach" at VRC himself, who never does much of the teaching, and the kids that went through his program never actually get anything out them or minimum, and he is the one that get all the credit and get away with it when a kid success because of someone else coaching. When I heard of MING situation, I felt really bad for him. And this situation has been going on for more than 15 years, and Calvin got all the credit that other coaches should be the one that deserve.

So my suggestion to you is boy and all you "teenager boys" out there, if you are seriously into badminton, you should not go to VRC and taking the teen badminton program because you won't get anything out of them and it is just wasting your parents money. My recommendation that Dariel at "Clear One" has done a great deal of commitment into coaching and that is one place you can go to and you kids will learn a lot of stuffs and you can be more successful in badminton, and if that is your goal. I also recognized out there are many other good coach who are willing to spend the time with you kids and you will learn a lot more than going to take lesson with Calvin at VRC.

For VRC, there need to be a replacement. VRC need to build back its own reputation and that MING should get some of the credit that he deserves. So boy, if you are interested in private lesson, you should either go to Dariel or MING at VRC for private lesson, but recommended not to take the group/private Lesson with Calvin, because you will be just wasting your money and time. Honestly, Calvin techniques is very old fashioned, outdated, and very very low compared to the asian or european standard. If Calvin is so great, why don't we have any canadian players going to the Olympic Games for single or even passing the 2nd round in the Olympic Games.

There are some rubbish coaches out there that you kids need to be awared of, and finding the right coach, will guarantee your success and enjoyment of the badminton sports and make good use of your money.

15. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I smell a lawsuit coming

16. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Essentially the assistant coaches at the VRC have higher skill and qualifications than their head coach. The problem with seeing them perform their job is like watching a any unenthusiastic employee working at any other job. They have lost their passion for teaching their skills, and in fact - they would prefer not to teach their techniques. In other words, they remind me of workers that are simply collecting a paycheck because they no longer believe in the company they work for...

if you have ever watched them coach, most times they are bored totally out of their skulls. compare that to C1/2 coachs who are all dedicated and passionate.

sad...

17. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Since VRC is a non-profit organization that is run by an elected board of directors ;), isn't it possible to turn this situation around. I know that the two Chinese coaches (Ming and the other one) are chomping at moving if an opportunity arise.

I know of folks who wouldn't join VRC mainly because of the head coach (I'm one :D)

18. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Everything comes down to incentive. I don't see how Coach Ming will put his heart into teaching with the current restriction.

19. dosun

dosun Regular Member

Hey everyone, I'm thinking of joining VRC too, but I'm having the same dilemma as everyone else (head coach). I'm quite low in the waiting list, mid-60s I think (junior), and supposedly, if the coach gets his way, he can move people down or move people up. I am wondering if anyone knows how it works or anything because I want to get into VRC asap (all my friends go there). And I totally agree with everyone else, take groups lessons at C1/C2. From what I've seen, the C1/C2 lessons look like more fun and the students actually learn (people actually go UP a level :eek:).

20. event

event Regular Member

"Ming" sounds like a Chinese name. There have only been two male Chinese champions in Olympic history: Zhang Jun and Ji Xinpeng. I'm willing to bet that the only Olympic champion in Vancouver right now is Kim Dong-moon and I hear he's never been to the VRC. If you want anyone to put any stock in what you say, try posting it minus the B.S.