What 12 months off does...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Quantum, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Quantum

Quantum Regular Member

Our badminton team has started up again, albeit an intramural sport that isn't state sponsored. I haven't played in twelve months and I stink. No timing, no reflexes, no power. It is quite embarrassing really. Just wondering how long it takes you all to rebound from a long break and any tips that will make my rebound faster. Thanks.

2. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    It all comes in stages. To get back to fitness it usually takes 1 month for every year you haven't played so fitness should come back in one month.

As far as tips go, just keep getting out there. The shots are still there, you've just forgotten how to play them. The more you practice the quicker it will come.

UKP

3. Jan

Jan Guest

Re: What 12 months off does...allot

I have been out for 6 or 12 month to. I will give you that UKplayer – fitnesswise it might take a month or two, but I find that I take the same amount of time to get back where I was. I think you advance to something like 90-95% relatively quickly. But the timing and also the strength in your muscles is increasing slowly. Off course this applies for breaks of 6-12 months and not for 4-5 years.

And it also depends on how much you play. The top players practice every day – and they will have a much harder time getting in shape after an injury than the players that play once a week!!

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed

also as you get older, after any extended periods of inactivity, it may be recommended to consult your physician and get a checkup before embarking on a strenuous program.

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer

Regardless of age, one should always increase training load gradually. Muscles adapt much quicker than joints and tendons... so a fast increase in muscle strength will likely cause injuries.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    From personal experiences;

There were two prolonged periods when I had to forgo badminton.

During the first one, I was able to continue in another physical activity which involved a lot of speed in the legs and fast movements. Restarting badminton was very simple, much easier than I had expected.

During the 2nd period, I did not participate in the alternate physical activity. It took me 6 months to regain some speed in my legs. Even going for runs didn't help too much. However, hand skills were not too bad.

Going on a slogan, "if you can't get to the shuttle, you can't hit the shuttle", and being out of position affects one power, timing, positioning, then the priority would have to be the legwork exercises for suplementary training in the intial phase.