Badminton Fashion - Archaic?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Loh, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Here's a comment on the badminton fashion scene as reported in our New Paper today. Punch Gunalan's remarks on baddy's ladies outfits during the WC have already been highlighted in this Forum some time ago. Wonder what are your views.

THE EYES HAVE IT!

November 14, 2005

AMONG the racket sports, tennis is streets ahead of badminton especially in the fashion stakes.

The traditional badminton shirt (often with rather garish and awkward colour combinations), and the shorts, add up for a look that is well, prehistoric.

The same goes for table-tennis wear.

It's not even 'retro' hip.

The overall look worsens when soaked with perspiration.

It's no wonder after badminton's World Championships in the US in August, the International Badminton Federation called for its female players to wear more glamorous outfits.

IBF deputy president Punch Gunalan said he wished the women shuttlers would dress more like Russian tennis star and world No.3 Maria Sharapova.

He said: 'We are too old-fashioned. Nowadays, the girls are becoming a little better dressed.

'Let's take Maria Sharapova. Look at her tank-tops. They are pretty.

'We need to be in the fashion world. So we would like to see players wear more clothes that are appealing to the public.

'By appealing, I mean people would want to wear it.

'Unfortunately, we are far from that.'

Indeed, take a look at the pictures The New Paper has featured. (Unfortunately no pictures were given in the email sent me.)

SAME SET AND MATCH

IN women's badminton, they mostly wear a similar 'shirt-and-shorts' combo to the men, like Singapore's Li (left), in this case.

That's the kind of look Gunalan doesn't want on television.

ONE LOVE

CHINA'S top women players like Zhang Ning, Xie Xingfang and though, have taken it one step further at least, by wearing skirts.

WATCH THE BIRDIE

EVEN in golf, younger stars like 16-year-old Hawaiian Michelle Wie have revolutionised the women's game with not only her talent and looks, but her sense of fashion while competing.

TIE-BREAKER

BUT why can't men be fashionable or even be a bit more imaginative when they play sports?

Take tennis's world No.2 Rafael Nadal and his doubles partner Feliciano Lopez here in the picture we've featured.

Taken during a Davis Cup tie, they certainly look a striking pair on court representing their country Spain with their spandex skin-tight sleeveless red tops, contrasted with white three-quarter pants.

Nadal calls his pants 'piratas', and to complete the 'pirate' look, he tops it off with long flowing hair and bandanas.

THE MEN DON'T GET IT, EITHER

FOR the men though, their choices in sports fashion have always been more limiting.

In badminton, it's still very much standard across the board, as South Korea's Lee Hyun-il shows here.

MATCH POINT

ADMITTEDLY, not all athletes are blessed with Sharapova's looks and legs, and Nadal's well-cut muscles.

While genetics and looks have a major part to play, sportswear manufacturers must claim some responsibility.

For example, Gunalan said he is now talking to badminton clothing manufacturers like Yonex about coming up with some new ideas.

He added: 'We need to get companies like Reebok, Nike and Adidas involved.'

Even with Yonex the dominant sponsor in badminton, why can't they replicate a more streamlined design, like they do here for Russia's world No.7 tennis star Elena Dementieva?

2. coops241180

coops241180 Regular Member

Product Owner
    hmm.. i think nathan and gail emms look great! their carlton gear and nathan's flowing locks, designer stubble and pirate-esque bandana coupled with his on court demeanor make him quite an engaging character for girls.

gail also has inspired men in the UK too. you can't beat a blonde feisty girl like gail. but she can be sweet and innocent too - i remember at the masters when somebody in the crowd shouted (in jest obviously) ' Gail will you marry me!!??'

she went all red and embarrassed.

I'm sure this is exactly what punch want's to see from the majority of badminton players.

Coops

3. other

other Regular Member

Student
    hahaha dig dig dig dig punch, you've dug a nice big hole. u might want to stay down there for a few years.....

"look at her tank tops" yup punch, obviously u have been analysing maria closely then?

"be appealing, i mean people would want to SEE...oops..wear it"
    mmmm appealing to the players, or to you from courtside?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

just say make badminton more fashionable, let the players wear what they want (loosen the restrictions, yonex make nicer clothes (like carlton and others), like nadal. bring badminton inline with current trends, show people that its a cool sport etc etc.

what's with bringing in all this "tank tops" and "appealing":eek:

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes I agree that Robertson and Emms have been outstanding and a delight to watch. If only more of their counterparts are as daring and even outlandish. :D

5. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    it would be better if they play badminton with bikinis....:D

6. coops241180

Product Owner
    yuck.. men in bikinis - what a horrible thought...

i'll have nightmares for weeks :p

plus i'm sure nobody wants to see mia in a bikini???

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Maybe our guys should try out first in beach ball? Well at least as an eyeful diversion from their regular stale bird! :p

8. coops241180

Product Owner
    lol - mebbe badders should be played on the beach - smaller court, but big enough to force players to dive to retrieve smashes :D

now that would be cool..

lol - i'm sounding just like punch now.. totally nuts!!

Coops

9. westsideweiming

westsideweiming Regular Member

Badminton men's fashion should follow the way of the NBA: ditch the short shorts! That'll instantly give badminton more "street cred" and make badminton more appealing to young males.

10. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    There is a clear difference between the sportswear in tennis and badminton. Has anyone seen the Yonex gear that Elena Dementieva wears? On the other hand, i dont really know if trying to bring in popularity based on *** appeal is a really sound idea. If they do that, doesn't it become less about the sport and more about the hottie on the court? That isn't so good...

11. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    whoops, i didn't know i'd get bleeped for saying that! it's not a bad word... :)

12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

*** appeal is good for the game (there, I've said the *** word). The majority of players we watch are already at the highest level of the game. If they are comfortable putting on more "appealing" (thanks Punch) attire, why not? I love the way Robertson and Emms are portraying the game. They are also showing that badminton players have personality. Damn right they do!!

About the garish colour mismatch patterns on some shirts, the newspaper(?) is SOOOOOO right. Holy cow, they put a colour blind test chart to shame. Hopefully players also understand they have to sell the game for it to survive commercially....... *** (there, I've said it again :p )

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired

#13 Loh, Nov 14, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  14. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Boy, it sure had me confused. First I thought it was a typo, then I thought they really couldn't spell. Finally I thought they could have chesen a better name as it doesn't really roll off the tongue that well. Anyway, thanks Loh for the clarification and how to get around the *S3X* issue. Does this work?

15. Pball

Pball Regular Member

lol!!! ... the image does tend to lead to some sleepless nights...

16. Locomoco

Locomoco Regular Member

I'm waiting for them to announce the Extreme Beach Badminton League... :eek:

17. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I'm sure it'll get lots of "exposure" :D :D

18. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Great, that's just ruined my sleep for tonight :p

19. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    #19 jug8man, Nov 15, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  20. event

event Regular Member

I thought this dead horse was beaten to a pulp months ago. Why are these quotes being re-introduced to the media all of a sudden. This article came out this week in Korea's only weekly online (and otherwise?) badminton magazine.