Things Look Bleak for Malaysian Badminton Kit

Discussion in '2005 South East Asian Games - Badminton' started by jug8man, Nov 14, 2005.

1. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    I could be wrong but read the article bellow and share your thoughts...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2005/11/15/sports/12593095&sec=sports
    Common kit for national teams

By S. RAMAGURU

OVER TO YOU: Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak hands over the Malaysian flag to Low Beng Choo (right), the Chef de Mission to the Manila SEA Games after a ceremony to launch the new kit for national teams at Putrajaya on Monday. Looking on is Youth and Sport Minister Datuk Azalina Othman Said (left). – STARpic BY KAMARUL ARIFFIN
    PUTRAJAYA: “The Malayan Tiger” is the theme of the new kit for national teams to international sports events and it was launched by the Deputy Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak, at the Youth and Sports Ministry here yesterday.

And the Malaysian contingent to the 23rd SEA Games, which begin in Manila on Nov 27, will be the first batch of athletes to wear the new attire.

The tracksuit and jersey are orange-based with wide black stripes. Both attire have the Malaysian flag on the front right and the word “Malaysia” printed on the back. The front left is kept open for sponsors.

Najib said that over 4,000 entries were received from the public in the contest to design the national jersey, which was launched earlier this year.

“We narrowed them down to three choices and then asked the Lim Kok Wing University College to redesign it with a national theme in mind,” he said.

“The Malayan Tiger has all the characteristics that we want our athletes to emulate. And I'm sure that having a single national identity will spur our athletes to excel further in their chosen fields.”

An assistant architect, Zulkifli Abdul Aziz from Johor, submitted the winning entry. The other two entries were from Leong Wai Hong and Zainal Ikhwan Mahmud.

The Youth and Sports Minister, Datuk Azalina Othman Said, said that the design took to the national crest and not the national flag.

“From now, we expect all teams to use this design for their national teams. Of course, the attire for different sports varies but the basic concept must be adhered to as well as the colours.

“After 48 years of independence, we have finally come up with a single identity and it is important that we use it and popularise it so that Malaysian fans will also start using this design when they come out in support of the national teams.

“We will register the design and colours so that we have full control over their usage. We will encourage all teams, even the professionals, to use them.”

Azalina added that national teams with their own sponsors would also be asked to use the new design.

“Having the new design should not affect the sponsorship of the national teams. They (the sponsors) can still make the attire for the teams using the new design. We will provide any help they need to make the attire,” she said.

Attached Files:

2. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

i dun get it why are things bleak? :confused:

3. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

The Malaysian Badminton National Team Players may be forced to wear only this type of 'Kit' for all the tournaments that they take part in the future.................

It is a question whether yonex will comply and design a T-Shirt of such for the Malaysian Team to use................. if not... it will pose a great sponsorship issue.

8man

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i think sponsors can actually profit from this if they respond the right way.

5. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    To be honest, it looks ugly. It looks more like a bee than a tiger.

6. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Perhaps if this design sold like hotcakes year round for the next few years.

But, remember........... With only 1 design.... Yonex will only be able to Market / Advertise 1 T-Shirt Pattern on all the Malaysian Players.... instead of a multiple T-shirts on various Malaysian Players. This will certailnly reduce the Malaysian Team's Value to Yonex in general in regards to Marketing purposes. How will it effect future sponsorship contracts..... cause and effect.

Cheers

8man

7. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Looks YELLOW and not ORANGE to me.

8man

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    whahahaha. Never saw a yellow tiger before. They should at least went with orangy yellow instead all bright yellow.

jug8man, i think is some room for manipulation

Of course, the attire for different sports varies but the basic concept must be adhered to as well as the colours.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I hope those in charge have not forgotten that "Variety is the Spice of Life".

10. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

Lets hope not just SOME manipulation............. but MANY and VARIOUS manipulation :D :D :D :D

8man

11. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

all countries should make athletes representing thier country wear certain attire. Yonex should just make the players sew a Yonex badge on the arm or something. Look at Nascar.... the most boring sport on the planet... the drivers and thier cars are just decked out with sponsors, they have badges representing various sponsors sewn everywear.

Also I would love to have a malaysian badminton shirt whether its made by Yonex or not.. even if its ugly, its more sentimental for me with badminton.

12. Wizbit

Wizbit Regular Member

Testing ladie's lingerie
    I think Yonex can incorporate it somehow...but team China already predominately use Yellow and black. I think the sleeves are too long for badminton...

Maybe if they wear it when not playing, and wear Yonex on court?

For reference, a Wong Choon Hann pre Yonex sponsored picture..

Attached Files:

• wong.jpg
      wong.jpg
      File size:
      58.5 KB
      Views:
  13. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

They're gr-r-r-r-reat! lol

Though i guess that picture there of the Prime Minister doesn't help - they need pictures of athletes wearing these uniforms.

14. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I'm not sure weather malaysia team will wear yonex during the tourney. My guess is most likely they will don the yellow and black shirts above.