Badminton in Canada

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Blaine, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Blaine

Blaine Regular Member

school
    I just want to know if any one has ever seen any badminton on tv in canada? I always look to see if it is on and i have never seen it. I have cable and live in alberta and if it is coming on could some one plz tell me

2. Don

Don Regular Member

Good luck! best place to watch badminton is at the tournaments.

3. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    In Canada, the only TV coverage is on CBC and that's like once a year at a really large tournament like the World Championships. Heck, they didnt even show HIGHLIGHTS of the All-Englands this year. So if you want more badminton coverage e-mail CBC and plead, beg, and ask for some. They haven't done anything about it yet but I'm sure they will when they get more feedback.

4. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    I have only seen it twice.
    The World Champs at Seville on CBC and some other one on WTSN

5. Don

Don Regular Member

let's see... 5 years of pleading and all I got to watch was 3 hours worth of badminton on CBC in the last 3 years. You have to like that ratio. Hugo, it's not going to happen.

6. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    But the thing is, how many people actually complain to them? Most people here don't even care about badminton. They'd rather watch their Saturaday Night Hockey. The problem is that there's not a big enough fan base to warrant TV coverage. So, anybody who enjoys badminton and lives in Canada should e-mail them and give it a try. I know that we wont be seeing regular badminton coverage here but who knows, maybe another 3, 5 years down the line?

7. Eric

Eric Guest

I seen it twice on wtsn

8. Tony

Tony Guest

It is pathetic for being a Canadian & CBC. They use to ask my support by donating but I refuse. It is so pathetic that this situation is not going to be changed for a long long time, may be after someone get an Olympic gold in badminton.

9. Normand

Normand Regular Member

Like everybody, there is not much going on TV but there is places that you can buy videos (sorry not free and often not the lattest) but if you check on CBC monthly schedule (updated every month) you can find out when it will playing. (http://cbc.ca/sports/schedule/)

Norm

10. Don

Don Regular Member

keep dreaming... I prefer to download tapes.

11. satellite TV

satellite TV Guest

you can occassionally watch WTSN for coverage of women's badminton.
    not sure if any channel will ever broadcast the males
    however i dont think wtsn is available on the pirate satellites ie. direct tv
    only on regular satellite tv, bell express vu, and the other one star choice or whatever its called