User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's my opinion.
    I think it's partly scheduling and finance. Scheduling because remember, both are coaches and working with a paid contract(with OCBC). So, it's not as easy for them to just take 2 weeks every month or every other month and fly away and play in some tournaments. Remember, reg. tourneys are usually 5-6 days long, so their trip will take 1 week. Which leads us to the the finance factor:who will pay for their tournament trips?? Certainly not OCBC, unless both OCBC and Tony&Halim have somekind of a contract that require Tony&Halim to divvy up whatever they earn in playing in those tourneys. Which in turn, if one look at it, it'll be the same as them playing back with PBSI.

Their coaching position is the main income, so to speak. Playing in outside tourneys, is more like a "moonlighting job", so to speak, as a side extra curriculur activities for them to collect extra bonus pay...

Hopefully one of these days before beginning of next year, me or harimau or other people, can stop by OCBC and meet up with Halim and Tony and asked them what is their plan for next year. And come back and share with you guys..-

sorry folkz if this thread has gone a bit off topic with the original thread post..

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung
    I don't think it is a schedule problem. More one of finance I guess.
    Tony and Halim are proven pairing. But Halim is also lacking 'match rhythm' after being out for so long. It takes some time for anybody to get into the run of things. Playing in 5* doesn't help at this stage because you'd easily run into a seed and get knocked out early. What would be the point of losing in the 1st/2nd round? Difficult to get any rhythm like that.

I figure this is a running in period for Halim. They could have easily gone to CHina as well but the field is too strong. I'm sure their aim in Taipei was to go far but not necessarily expect to win. Halim gets a few higher level matches under his belt again, starts to get his rhythm again, and fortunately, gets a win. All in all, these are good pointers for him to get his confidence back. I'm sure he will be really motivated to do well after leaving PBSI.
    Last edited by ctjcad; 11-21-2005 at 07:52 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpoirot
    They used the reason that our junior players can't compete with other players yet. So junior players will be send to small tournaments that can guarantee a win.

How will the junior learn then if thay don't had chance to fight with top players in the world? Look at China, Korea, Denmark, Japan , Malaysia and even Singapore. They sent their junior players to at least 4-5 top tournaments a year.

I am hoping PBSIwillchage their rules next year by sending junior players to top tournaments specially WS and WD. Its not a big deal if theylost in firstround if they met top players as long as they show fighting spirit and not loose attitude.
    While I agree that it is necessary for PBSI to focus their effort on regeneration, it will be fruitless to send really junior players to 4 or 5* tournaments. Reason: they may not even be in the main draw and ended up losing in qualifying tournaments.

What these players need are more match experiences at those satelitte and 1 to 3* tourneys. Winning breeds confidence and once they have the confidence, they can then "graduate" to the first team. Well, from past experiences, these junior players are sent to the nearby tournaments like Malaysia and Singapore Opens every year.

It's difficult to get a title at even these smaller tourneys (eg: Chinese Taipei Open) because other countries may send their top players too sometimes, eg: Team Korea. They even let Shon Seung Mo and Lee Jae Jin to compete in the Malaysian Satelitte. I think it's a strategy to let Shon have the feeling of winning so that he's better prepared for next year.

However, once a player/pair achieves certain ranking (eg: top 30), then, sending them to higher rated tourneys will be the priority so that now, they can experience playing against top pairs. Taking Team Indonesia's second team at the moment, I do think that Hendra Gunawan/Joko Riyadi and Devin Lahardi/Vita Marissa should be more or less ready to take on bigger fishes. The other young pairs (esp the women's singles) should remain competing only in the smaller tourneys.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hcpoirot
    The result: Halim with Tony already got 2 MD titles and Tony already had 3 including World Championship. And suprise3x, our XD doubles who PBSI projected as second XD after Nova/Lili lost to Tony/Cheng who partner for the first time.
    Well, from the original draws, it's unlikely that Team Indonesia can get a title because of the presence of Mathias Boe/Carsten Mogensen, Lee Jae Jin/Lee Hyo Jung, and of course Tony Gunawan/Halim Heryanto.

My original predictions were that Hendra/Joko to reach semi-final and get beaten by their super senior Tony/Halim. Meanwhile, Devin/Vita will reach the final and get beaten by Lee Jae Jin/Lee Hyo Jung. I think Tony/Cheng's victory over the current world no 1 is the biggest upset in the tournament. Once they have done that, winning the title becomes easier because the main opponent is only the Indonesian pair.

Eventually, my predictions were correct. Tony/Halim did win the title, while Team Indonesia's best performance was a final appearance in mixed doubles.
    So, I will consider it a relatively good outing for the second team.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

regarding the WC, Tony and Howard participate because they were representing the host country and travelling cost isnt much of the problem if in the US.

just my 2cents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yuval_ba
    not sure I agree.
    If it's so simple to expolit Shon's problem how come he was able to beat Chen Hong / Sony in the Olympics ?
    I think he can be top 10 player level when he is in form
    Also he deserves big credit for competing in Badminton despite his disability.
    I remember I heard a commentator mention he had a chance to compete in handicaps category and chose not. (not sure if it's true or not).
    I hope to see him back in top form before he retires
    Mo's eye problem wasn't really known about until he got 2nd at the Olympics. Also he does deserve huge credit for getting to where he is at with such a big disadvantage!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

agree, very unrecognized accomplishment.

when i get a tiny nick on my hand or i ate little too much, my performance drop quite abit and then other players say i whine too much

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    agree, very unrecognized accomplishment.

when i get a tiny nick on my hand or i ate little too much, my performance drop quite abit and then other players say i whine too much
    haha that used to be like me until ardy alex and dan kept making fun of me

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    then other players say i whine too much
    There's no whining in Badminton. Only cramping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OCBC pays for their tournament trips. And they get to keep their winnings.

Quote Originally Posted by ctjcad
    Here's my opinion.
    I think it's partly scheduling and finance. Scheduling because remember, both are coaches and working with a paid contract(with OCBC). So, it's not as easy for them to just take 2 weeks every month or every other month and fly away and play in some tournaments. Remember, reg. tourneys are usually 5-6 days long, so their trip will take 1 week. Which leads us to the the finance factor:who will pay for their tournament trips?? Certainly not OCBC, unless both OCBC and Tony&Halim have somekind of a contract that require Tony&Halim to divvy up whatever they earn in playing in those tourneys. Which in turn, if one look at it, it'll be the same as them playing back with PBSI.

Their coaching position is the main income, so to speak. Playing in outside tourneys, is more like a "moonlighting job", so to speak, as a side extra curriculur activities for them to collect extra bonus pay...

Hopefully one of these days before beginning of next year, me or harimau or other people, can stop by OCBC and meet up with Halim and Tony and asked them what is their plan for next year. And come back and share with you guys..-

sorry folkz if this thread has gone a bit off topic with the original thread post..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, thx for clearing that up ironchef. I guess you are a member with OCBC and know the ins and outs of OCBC and Tony & Halim??..
    If that's the case, then i will say OCBC is pretty generous, if they are willing to pay for T & H trips and let them keep their winnings..

Quote Originally Posted by ironchef
    OCBC pays for their tournament trips. And they get to keep their winnings.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3