new scoring system- 9x5 !!!!

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by N. Usmani, Mar 16, 2002.

1. N. Usmani

N. Usmani Guest

I have not heard from anyone yet a full satisfaction with new 7x5 system. Even backers of this system admits that under new system, beside other drawbacks, game often finishes too early.
    Why not since full match only last 7x5=35 points instead of 15x3=45 points (22 percent less). Straight match also 7x3=21 points instead of 15x2=30 points (30 percent less).

Why not IBF adopt 9x5 system. It sure give enough time to player and spectators to enjoy the game and at the same time give enough breaks for commercials!!!!

9x5= 45 same as 15x3=45
    9x3=27 little less than 15x2=30 (only 10 percent less)
    Anybody knows why IBF do not support 5x9 system?

2. Dimo

Dimo Guest

Most governing bodies that run badminton are not very 'clever' !

In my view almost the entire badminton community wants proper marketing and publicity. Changing the scoring system is OK but, in the end, if it is not backed up by a rigorous (and costly) publicity campaign it isn't really going to make a lot of difference. I agree that 5 x 9 is better because 5 x 7 games are just too short.

3. sjoe

sjoe Regular Member

Engineer
    Why not retain 15X3 systems and change side at 8 with short breaks for commercials(?).

4. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    who cares about TV breaks anyway?

Has soccer been broken into 6x15 minute segments?
    No it has not. 2x45 does not lend itself to commerical breaks. And how popular was the World Cup?

TV Commercial breaks make no difference. If IBF want to do something they should put their energy into working out how to televise it to make it exciting to watch. Different camera angles, commentary and statistics may help.

Change it to 5x7 5x3 10x20, whatever, the general public in the West won't consume it until it's exciting to watch for whatever reason.

There are not enough viewer ratings for these ads to make a difference anyway if the sport looks like a bigger version of table tennis. The IBF should have woken up to this already and stop messing around with the fundamentals of this beautiful sport.

5. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    They could fix the length of it

Turn all games into 60 minutes (4 quarters) with the winner being the one with the most points.

This would allow clubs and tournaments to plan matches better as well, with 30 minute matches in the early stages of the game.

After that we could stop using rackets and just kick a ball.

Or it could just be left the way it is!

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    FYI, 5 x 9 has been tried before. It was a Dutch Open many years ago. Feedback unknown.

An advantage of having five games is that it produces more excitment in the latter stages. a game tied at 2-2 seems much more intereting than a game at 1-1 with only one set to play.

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Do You Wanna Dance?

Oh, here we go again! ;)

Breaks CAN make a difference.

Football (or soccer as you call it) is already one of the dominating sports in the world, and has been so for as long as there was television. TV channels really have no alternative but to air the big events, so the format doesn't really matter. Due to its massive popularity, football can, so to speak, "afford" the odd format.

Badminton, however, is the smart but bespectacled girl at the school dance who doesn't get to dance with the boys... So, in true Hollywood fashion, she dumps the glasses, gets some new clothes and puts on some make-up, and voila -- the guys are drooling!

I'm not saying it's right -- I'm a firm believer it's the inside that counts -- but this is what the IBF is trying to do...

8. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Not if

It makes me lose most of my friends.

Badminton is in danger of losing people through 5x7. I mean it's a bit of a radical change isn't it?

So what difference is it going to make to TV popularity if you bore the elder 'die hard' following, make some of the matches 10 minutes long and lose the ratings?

I wonder how players who have spent years training for 3x15 must feel?

9. Slinky

Slinky Guest

unless of course they are equally balanced / matched standard wise
    Saw some excellent games at the AE last weekend, did you see any? if you had I would be surprised you could make the comments above. perhaps the games / matches (if youplay them) you have played have not been equally balanced in terms of standards and skills sets

10. N.Usmani

N.Usmani Guest

5x9 at Danish Masters

Yes, you are right Danes tried this system as recent as last December in Copenhagen Masters (double events only).

After reading all comments I still do not understand any reason why IBF preferred 5x7 system over 5x9? I like to see some stats in support of 5x7! If any member of IBF reading this please indulge us with your wisdom!

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    How about the final of the Mxd? was that excellent?
    I suppose the agony wasn't prolonged. But there wasn't much time for the Danish pairing to really get into the match. 1-0 down in about 5 mins.

12. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    The Danes had a bad day, the Koreans a good one, and I don't think it would have made one bit of difference if the match had went on for a little longer. It would just have been a long boring final instead of a short boring final.