Adjusting to a long, head-heavy racquet

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by aducky, Nov 20, 2005.

1. aducky

aducky Regular Member

I recently purchased the More XL+ from Prince and have had difficulty adjusting to the racquet. I am looking for some tips as to how to ease the transition. I tend to be missing the sweet spot on my hits, hitting mainly above it on the racquet face.

Prior playing with this racquet, I have always used even balanced racquets and have developed my skills with those. Now with this new head-heavy racquet, I am at a loss in even hitting a smash. Clears are still decent but require more effort than necessary. It's sort of funny, because with the larger impact area I would've expected this racquet to be easier to use. I switched to a friend's MP100 and hit much more flawlessly.

I've practiced with this racquet on and off for about two weeks now but had to take a break because of a shoulder injury.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to best adjust? I.E. swing faster, grip, hand placement on handle should be higher than on even balanced, etc. Anything would be helpful, thanks!

2. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

sell it, buy a new one.

sotx raquets are especially light-headed raquets, perhaps victor ... might suite your style.

3. lui_boy

lui_boy Regular Member

Computers (Internet)
    Do you use a death grip when holding a racquet? Hold it lightly, it will give you more maneuverability, then tense up on impact. The M+XL comes with a pretty thick grip, G3. If the grip is too thick for you to begin with, that might be your problem. Most of the power generated comes from a combination of fingers, wrist, and forearm. If the grip doesn't allow your fingers to open up and close on a hit, it's hard to generate any speed or power. The racquet itself isn't that heavy, it's just not very aerodynamic. But if you have room, try the racquet with an overgrip. This will make it feel less heavy on top and more controlled. But you really don't need to swing fast for this racquet to make power. Having good strings strung at the right tension will help a lot. The factory strings really do suck that bad. I would practice hitting around without overthinking things and don't even worry about power for now and focus on getting into position to hit and placement of shot.