Which player(s) to watch in 2006??..

Discussion in '2006 Tournaments' started by ctjcad, Nov 20, 2005.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

...I know it's a bit early, but with the 2005 IBF calendar year coming to an end just around the corner, and the 2006 IBF calendar year coming up in a bit more than a month, which player(s) do you guys think will be the player(s) to watch next year??..Will it be someone new for each of the field (MS, WS, MD, WD and XD), or will it be same old story and players??.. :rolleyes: :cool:

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Let me have a try on this....with a focus on new player/pair and current player/pair which are on the rise.

MEN'S SINGLES
    Chen Jin -- definitely the star of tomorrow for Team China after good showings at the Denmark and China Opens. He will be ranked in the top 15 at least by end of next year.

Park Sung Hwan -- a young lad who also impressed during the last 3 tournaments. He too will be one to watch out for next year.

Personal hope:
    Sony Dwi Kuncoro -- to break into top 10 again and hopefully win some important tournaments. He just needs to improve his stamina!

Simon Santoso -- to break into top 20 with consistent performances.

WOMEN'S SINGLES
    The young Chinese players, especially Lu Lan, Jiang Yanjiao and Wang Yihan. Most are ranked outside the top 40s now, but, I believe one or two will be in the top 20s by end of next year.

Eriko Hirose -- currently ranked 7 and only 20 years old. Park Joo Bong is slowly moulding her to be a top 5 player and time is on her side.

Wong Meow Choo -- currenly ranked 12 and the surprise package this year perhaps? Who will expect her to be in the top 15 by end of the year? She's only 22 and chance of breaking into top 10 is definitely very good.

Cheng Shao Chieh -- currently ranked 14 with impressive showings at the World Championships and Asian Badminton Championships. With Fung Permadi as her coach, she will continue her progress by breaking into the top 8 at least by next year. With Eriko Hirose, Cheng is perhaps the best player to break the Chinese domination of the women's game. Age is on their side with the other top 10 players all above 25 yo. I will be rooting for her in women's singles.

Personal hope:
    Any of the Indonesian trio to break into the top 20s. I think Maria Kristin and Adrianti Firdasari show some good prospects this year.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Ws..

..don't forget Kaori Mori also who seemed to be more consistent than Eriko..

But concur very much here..

barring any major injuries, both of these young gals look to be the most promising ones and are going to be the "main" forces and to a certain extent "challengers" for the China's WS for the next 5-6 yrs. Yes, age is their main advantage and on their side..
    With ZN, basically the reigning queen of WS, already reaching the age of 30 and accomplishing almost all of the most sought-after titles, she probably will retire within 1-2 yrs. That will leave only XXF as the only China's WS veteran to lead her younger compatriots..

4. badMania

badMania Regular Member

MEN'S DOUBLES
    Chan Choong Ming/Koo Kien Keat -- Malaysia's no 1 pair, but very very erratic. They can be wonderful in one tournament and then lousy in the next. However, they have definitely improved with wins at the Denmark Open and a bronze medal at the World Championships. With Rexy's coaching, they will continue to challenge the top 4 pair.

Mathias Boe/Carsten Mogensen -- Denmark's no 2 pair currently (after Paaske/Rasmussen retired) and definitely a threat to any top side. They are relatively young (25/22) and still yet at their prime. They will remain as a top 8 side and could perhaps capture 1 or 2 titles next year.

Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan -- a relatively good year, with two titles in the bag and some important wins against fellow top 10 pair (against Paaske/Rasmussen, Candra/Sigit, Jung/Lee, Chan/Koo, etc). At least one 5* title is a must for them to prove to PBSI that they are capable of becoming the future no 1. I have great hopes in them after watching their spectacular wins over Candra/Sigit and Jung/Lee. Time is on their side (both are still 21) and they WILL become Indo's no 1 pair in 2-3 years time.

Malaysia's young pairs, esp Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari/Lin Woon Fui and Tan Bin Shen/Ong Soon Hock -- currently ranked 11 and 12, they are Malaysia's future as I have often emphasized. They are still unable to create major upsets, but, they have been consistent in entering the quarter-finals of some major opens. With Markis/Hendra, these 2 pairs are set to rule the world by the time the old pairs retire!

Personal hope:
    Candra Wijaya/Sigit Budiarto-- the undisputed the World no 1's pair with 4 titles and 4 runner-ups this year. They were very very unlucky to lose the WC title. Hopefully, they can win the major titles next year like the All England, World Championships, and Asian Games gold. Helping team Indo to regain the Thomas Cup is also a priority.

Luluk Hadiyanto/Alven Yulianto -- a bad year for them with no titles to show for. Hopefully a SEA Games gold in both the team and individual events can help them end the year in a good shape. Hope for next year includes continuing to be in the top 5 and perhaps some major titles. I think they are going to be another Flandy/Eng Hian or Denny Kantono/Antonious -- a good pair, but not good enough to win the really important titles or become Indo's no 1 pair.

Hendra Gunawan/Joko Riyadi -- Indo's future no 2 pair hopefully and they need to be sent to major tournaments starting from next year onwards. They also need to start winning a few 3* and 4* tournaments (like Asian Badminton Championships).

WOMEN'S DOUBLES
    Kumiko Ogura/Reiko Shiota -- I like this pair and again the Park Joo Bong's infuence is there. With Park's coaching, I believe they will rise even further and challenge the top 4.

Du Jing/Yu Yang -- same old story...a young Chinese pair on the rise. With Wei Yili/Zhao Tingting on the decline, this pair will become China's no 4 pair.

Jo Novita/Greysia Polii -- personal hope as well, but they have shown considerable progress. Currently ranked 22, they will definitely break into the top 15 and hopefully top 10 by end of next year.

Personal Hope:
    Lita Nurlita/Nathalia Poluakan -- currently ranked 41, they should break into the top 20 by next year.

Nitya Krishinda/Nandya Melati -- currently ranked 66, with a satisfactory victory at the Indian Satellite, they will probably be in the second team and continue their progress to perhaps break the top 30-40 by end of next year.

MIXED DOUBLES
    Nathan Robertson/Gail Emms -- they will be desperate to retain their All England title and win the World Championship next year after forced to withdraw because of Nathan's injury.

Sudket Prapakamol/Saralee Thungthongkam -- my second favorite pair and they have definitely improved immensely this year. They should continue to be in the top 5 and win some important titles.

Xie Zhongbo/Zhang Yawen -- the surprise package of this year, with a silver medal at the World Championships and a good win at the HK Open. They will be China's main hope in the Beijing Olympics 2008.

Zheng Bo/Zhao Tingting -- a straight replacement for Chen Qiqiu/Zhao Tingting because of Chen's early retirement. They are for sure a top 10 material and they will be there by end of next year.

Daniel Shirley/Sara Runesten-Petersen -- I underestimated them...but they have continued to surprise. They should break into the top 10 next year.

Songpol Anukrityawan/Kulchala Worawitchitchaikul -- Thai's second pair which is definitely on the rise. They beat Zhang Jun/Gao Ling in the Malaysia Open 2005. Should be a top 10 side within 1-2 years.

Personal Hope:
    Nova Widianto/Lilyana Natsir -- they are still pretty inconsistent, especially against top pairs. They should retain their top 5 rank, but, their aims should be higher. An All England title and perhaps 1-2 more important titles are needed to solidify their position as a top pair.

Anggun Nugroho/Yunita Tetty -- Indo's no 2 pair, but very very inconsistent. Except for good showings at the All England, Indonesia Open, and HK Open, they went out in the first or second round. They definitely need to improve their consistency to still be ranked in the top 15. A top 10 rank by end of next year is must if they are to remain Indo's no 2 pair.

Devin Lahardi/Vita Marissa -- currently Indo's no 3 pair and should be ranked in the top 30s after yesterday's silver medal at the Chinese Taipei Open. Presuming they are sent to more tournaments, they will be a top 15-20 side by end of next year.

#4 badMania, Nov 20, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

how about Cai/Fu??.. :rolleyes: :)

hmm, barring any injuries, this field will still be dominated, i mean dominated, by China's team for at least, say another 2 yrs?!?!... :p :rolleyes:

how about KKK and his partner, ah, forgot her name??....oh, Wong Pei Tty..:p:)
    how about the S'pore XD pairs, 2 of them i believe which have Indonesian guys??..both pairs still young..

#5 ctjcad, Nov 20, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Cai/Fu should remain a top 4 pair barring any collapse of form. They are a very good pair, but still a little inconsistent also.

I think the 2 pairs u mentioned will not be good enough to maintain a top 10 ranking :p

7. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Md

What about Jonas Rasmussen and new partner in MD ?? there could be surprises here...

Tony and Halim could also be a pair to watch closely!

8. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    MD: Jonas Rasmussen with new partner Thomas Laybourn (this is me speculating...) :p

We're also going to see some Japanese presence in the top 10 rankings, especially in the women's categories.

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Oh yeah, JR and his new partner....as well as Paaske and his new partner??..

As for Tony and Halim, well, it depends. If they decide they will go *all out* next year and become a regular at many higher stars tourneys, then yah, they will be the one to watch out for...Wow, imagine, a "fourth or even fifth Indo" pair playing in the big league circuit, albeit under a different country... :rolleyes: :p :cool: :)

10. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

11. asriwn

asriwn Regular Member

Desa Paya Mengkuang, Gelang Patah,Johor, Malaysia
    MS- Chen Jin, LCW,Taufik Hidayat, Hafiz Hashim

MD- Chandra/Sigit, Markis/Hendra and Msia World Junior Championship 2004 (Tan/Hoon)

WS- Wong Mew Choo, Zhang Ning, and all China junior player.

WD- Zhang/ Yang, Gao/ Huang.:D

12. Daylightkiller

Daylightkiller Regular Member

Student
    I wonder if cheng (chinese taipei) is going to put on a good performance for next year

13. byelnats

byelnats Regular Member

Here is my prediction:

MS: Definitely Chen Jin

MD: Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan

WS: Wang Lin

WD: not sure

XD: not sure

Personal hope: All Indonesian players regardless of age and gender :D

14. fukusami16

fukusami16 Regular Member

My prediction:

Ms: :Lee chong wei, chen jin, simon santoso...

Md: Korean 1st and 2nd doubles,mas doubles,

Ws;Expected china will always at the top

Wd:Hopefully will be japan..Stop china from dominating every tournament.

Xd: Xie zhong bo / yawen ..

15. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

Personal hope, I prefer to watch upcoming star

WS : Wang Lin, Pia Zebadiah, Lidya Cheah, Saina Nehwal
    MS : Chen Jin
    WD : none
    MD : Markis Kidho/Hendra Setiawan, Lee Young Dae & Lee Jae Jin
    MXD : M. Rizal, Greysia Polii, Lingga Lie

#15 Sandy, May 19, 2006
    Last edited: May 19, 2006