Need help to pick a racket for a birthday gift "fast"

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by mickoz, Nov 22, 2005.

1. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    Hi,

I want to pick a racquet fast for my girlfriend as a gift (also an occasion to get her to play badminton). She will obviously be a beginner, but I still want that she has a decent racquet (yeah, I read today about racquet not being the best equipment, but it is still nice to have a nice one [and I can take care of teaching the little I know], I'm still having my old carbonex 15 long :D... yeah I stopped play actively since quite sometime... :\... always hoping to be able to get back regulary... life!).

Ok, well since I want it very fast (i.e. before her birthday), I want to put aside my mega perfectionnist attitude [the one that get me here to analyse all those string tension sometime ago and that I forget a lot] and do a good choice in a good timeframe.

Not being very knowledgeable all technically for a racquet, here is what I expect so far (to help narrow my search):

brand : yonex

type : isometric (I have a classic one, but I think that for beginner iso are quite right)

model : ? (that is mostly what I seek idea for)

string: I am gonna go for bg-65 (for durability, I think that is the best bet for a beginner. Maybe those ashaway were quite solid if I remember, but it makes too much time so I think going with the mainstream classic choice)

string tension: not sure, I read fast fast here (Recommended tensions: beginners: 19-20lbs), maybe give me info on the cross, etc.

I don't know if I should consider anything else.

(I never bought myself other badminton equipment, beside a replacement grip as I liked my original yonex grip, but I had no choice at some time... :D -- however, I might slowly consider to buy shoes, etc. but I am usually lazy for those stuff, however for now the goal is to buy a racquet for my gf, later I will see for extra equipment!).

Since the time is important, I might go buy locally (unless you have a decent suggestion also for online store).

I am located in Montreal / Quebec / Canada.

I expect to pay around 90-150$ (I guess most good racquet are usually in the 100$, I don't doubt there is very good one below that)

I am open to other suggestion that go away from my original criteria (yonex, iso, string type). However if you can give me good tips considering those criteria already, then it is gonna narrow the choice I have to make. (Of course I want best quality/price).

So if you have tips (considering this is for a beginner), model suggestion (thing that are available on the market now around my price range)

And also if you have store suggestion near me, or online store that can deliver in less than a week, I will greatly appreciate. Note: I might accept a little slip in the shipping time. I usually like to give the present the day it is due, however, I don't mind delaying a little if it is to get something good and maybe save something decent. But if the difference is 5$, I don't mind picking it up locally to get it in time.

I am gonna do my more serious research tomorrow... however if you guys can help me to go faster [and do a better choice], I am thanking you ;-)

#1 mickoz, Nov 22, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2005
  2. foo.tw

foo.tw Regular Member

Buy her 3u AT700 / 2U Ti10, then you will have a walking weapon girlfriend. :p

Seriously, I think you can look into wilson ncode series.
    There are some cute colors that girls will like more than YYs.

3. Patriotesq

Patriotesq Regular Member

Hi, I just buyed a new Racket (NS8000), and I have a Yonex Isometric for sale, a TI-5, I payed 160,00$ 2 or 3 years ago. The racket are in very good condition, and I strung it with BG-65TI (19 lbs) only 2 weeks ago. I can sell it to you 75,00$ if your interest. And I leave in Montreal to.

Let me know

4. ethelstan

ethelstan Regular Member

I just bought my dad a badminton racquet (although, myself not a player) here are some recommendation.

1.Determine her playing style (Offense, Defense, or Balanced?) and whether she likes to Play double, single or no prefence? The greater you have a preference (Double offensive, rather than "in the middle") the better racquet you will buy.

For Double offensive: AT 800 OF / MP 100
    Double defensive: Absolutely AT 800 DE
    Single offensive: no doubt, AT 700
    Single defensive: ?
    No preference, Offensive: NanoSpeed 8000

Offensive racquet has heavier head shaft (imagine urself as holding a hammer that has heavy head) it is great to CHOP / Smash, but its heavier to carry. the same principle apply to racquet.

2.Tension > I would say 22-23lbs . Remember that racquet loose its tension periodically, especially if racquet is used frequently. In a month or two, you may loose 1/2/3 lbs. Therefore setting at 19-20lbs sound a little bit too low for me.

5. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    Hi,

1 - I am most tempted to buy new for now, if I change my mind I will let you know.

2 - The person I am gonna buy this too, you have to consider her as very beginner. It is mostly a plan to play. Because she used to love racquet sport (i.e. Tennis), I guess she has very low experience in badminton. While at college, I improved my play where I can compete (before it was nothing serious, just for fun) and I believe I could teach her some stuff. But I doubt for now that we are gonna play hardcore (like I would want). So it will be for time by time. Not like 2-3 times a weeks (or 4-5 times like I used to before). I rarely play now. But what I like with badminton, is that I can play it anytime of the year and it is a nice indoor sport to practice the winter too.

If it was for me, I will go for the top notch for price. However, since the person will be a beginner, I still want a good racket, but maybe not the top notch (however if the near top notch is in the price range that I stated, then I will consider, and I guess for 100-150$ I can get a pretty good racket as I paid around that for mine some years ago and I really liked it -- carbonex 15 (classic/oval) long).

Also the player is not very tall (around 5'). I was wondering if it would make a difference by choosing long or not, or if most racket are long now (I know it is just 1 inch). And I don't think she will play like me, smashing a load, etc. So for criteria, it will be a racket for all around, not necessary too heavy (anyway most racket are pretty light now, unless you buy really cheap or you have a purpose to have a heavy racket... like I usedto practice sometime with heavyer racket [before I bought myself a good one], and I believe it made my arm a little bit more strong :D)

6. Patriotesq

Patriotesq Regular Member

For a beginner, I suggest you not to buy an oval racket. You better buy an isometric because the sweet spot is larger then an oval classic racket. And for a real beginner, if you pay 150,00$ for a racket, it's like to pitch money out of window.

7. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    Patriotesq -- yeah, that is what I am thinking.

Actually not because I won't want, but I would rather invest on other stuff than throw 150$ [especially consideirng that the 150$ racket won't necessary be used to its full extend and that maybe a kind-of high profile racket won't necessary be good for a beginner, and can probably even be worse. Exemple: buying a racket with high power for a no-power player who is just beginning. I remember in ping pong, high end racket some had very high effects... if you couldn't handle those (I liked to play all around from 2$ racket to 100-200$ one and even elite player liks my old 2$ racket, they had something special) it was just worthless to play with them. Maybe it is not entirely the same in badminton, but it probably do a difference].

However, near 100$ is ok with me if the racket is good.

If you look my criteria, I already put isometric and that is because it is for a beginner. I personally bought my oval while the iso were getting "hot" (5-6 years ago I think, dang! getting old...) -- one reason is that while I did a lot of net shot... I really liked to smash. And I think when I done my research it was better for power player back in time to use that kind of racket. I probably also liked it.

What you think of long vs. normal, I looked not long ago while passing thru a mall and saw they were all long (I checked fast, I don't have much time for shopping but I was near and needed idea and that is where I remembered I wanted to buy a racket as gift some time ago but always bought other stuff).

If you look at their yonex product:

http://www.badmintonzon.com/Produits/CatByCo.asp?SessionID=11200523214528EKZW8W3R9R3MHW73LP7Q7QD5DT&devise=1&CoID=9&S=1&PTid=9

Are there a lot missing? I would expect them to carry the most mainstream brand, but I haven't done my research yet (tonight I will more).

If at less I fixed myself on 3-4 model of yonex, then I could begin to seek for price.

I am also aware that in all business they do low-end model, I see the armotec 300 being way cheaper for example than other armotec. Maybe I should just check their attribute and choose one that is ok for overall playing at a decent price.

#7 mickoz, Nov 23, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    What i can suggest is either MP88 or MP99. Easy to use and good balance. AT series might not be suitable for her.

9. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    Looking at

http://www.badmintonzon.com/Produit...LP7Q7QD5DT&LangID=2&devise=&CoID=9&S=1&PTid=9

It is the high price ones for the MP99/MP88.

Maybe it is good choice. Is the "muscle series" have kind of attribute that are good for overall or you only suggest those mp99, mp88 in those.

Consider this is not gonna be for competition, she is not ready for this yet ;-) [see I don't mind paying, but like other said, I rather not paid the best high-end one if it is not the best and just for the heck of get the highest priced one]

I want something good enough, for play sometime (at beginning I don't expect to play with her a load of time, but if she begins to love it, and we get to have more freetime, it is something I would of course like to.) and for now I expect the racket to last sometime (heck, I played a *load* before [3-4-5 times a week] and I still have my old carbonex. But if I begin to play more I will highly consider trying something "new").

Of course, maybe if I done a lot of research, I could find an online store with very good price for those. But if I try to think fast and not be too perfectionnist, I will try to go for local shop.

10. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

These rackets you suggest are way out of his budget range, and i don't think it is necessary for a beginner.

I would recommand AT300 or AT500 (a bit over your budget) if you insist to stay with Yonex. Or SOTX Woven 2 or 8 if you're willing to try other brand.

Also check out my Pro Kennex Dynamic 800 group buy, I might able to get one for you earlier.
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=312734#post312734

11. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    Thanks Wong8egg, I will look into that.

Like I said, it is not just a question of price, but I established a price range that I think I can get a good racket for (in fact I probably paid 100-150$ for mine 5 years ago and I was hardcore and was very happy with my purchase) that will be suitable (see more than suitable) for a beginner (there is always chance the person won't get mad into it or what, we never know with GIFT, but that is the fun of it, you try to make something special, fun, etc.).

Like when you buy anything, for example computer products... you can do research 3 months to choose your video cards, your cpu, etc. however you can also look at it that way: choose the mainstream that give you the best for the buck (ex. for hard drive of same quality, if 100$ = 100 gig, 110$ = 150 gig, 120$ = 200 gigs, 200$ = 250 gig -- then the 120$ for 200$ is the best buy for the buck and it is probably the mainstream choice. Having a good price because it sells a lot and is not scarce).

What I want is the 120$ for 200 gigs for a all-around racket (not optimized for power, etc.). ;-)

So if MODEL XX is *way better* than MODEL YY for 10$ more, then that is good. If they are about the same, but just different (power vs defense vs other skill), I will pick the one with overall good quality.

Anyway I gave an example with ping pong and badminton is not the same kind of game (but I may not have tried much racket to say that) where there is a lot of "effects", etc. Therefore, playing and improve play (like Kwun well said it in his article) will leverage her skill way more than a racket. But it is still nice to have a nice rackets, light, that feel good. It makes a difference, especially versus heavy rackets that they usually lend or rent you at general sport center and as a bonus it is always fun to have "your racket".

12. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    Oups, I posted that message in the wrong thread, sorry for the flood of message guys, and I am very thanksful for the feedback so far. Here is the message I posted elsewhere:

--------------------------

If you look there:

http://www.badmintonzon.com/Produit...ID=9&S=1&PTid=9

Maybe you guys can look the model and tell which one between the 75-130$ price range is the best buy for overall (not a power/special style or what) playability and price.

Of course my first criteria is Yonex (I choose the mainstream/good choice to save time). But if you browse that website and see very good special (they have some black knight in special), I will listen.

http://www.racketsportsmontreal.ca/V2/Stringing.htm -- for string, that looks good.

http://www.racketsportsmontreal.ca/ -- also carry mostly SOTX racket, are they a good buy (I guess most brand are good enough, but I know Yonex, so that is why I feel comfortable with it). I don't know if for price it is the "same" or since you maybe pay a little less for the name than yonex, that they are cheaper for same quality. Maybe it doesn't matter much in the end. ;-)

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If you plan to order from racketsportsmontreal, I recommend 8080+ (oval) or Woven 6 for your gf. Woven 6 is overall light and head light, with med stiff shaft. This combo usually means "easier to use" for beginners. Even when she improves to int. or advanced level, this racket still can perform to a certain standard, if she love defensive type of games. 8080+ have very similar characters, but more toward even balanced racket. Personally, I used these 2 rackets back then, before sticking with cab30ms. For the $$$ I put in, I definitely consider these 2 rackets as a "good buy".

As for string, BG65 usually is the choice for beginners, as it has ok overall perfomrance, cheaper, and good durability. However, seems the price charge for higher end string such as BG80/85 is just $2-3 more, u might also consider them as well, as they do offer better playability. Unless ur gf is a powerful smasher, even the thinner string should last her quite a little bit.

With in the price range of CDN$100-150, I can hardly think about any brand new yonex racket to match the deal as I metioned above. :rolleyes:

14. TheGr8Two

TheGr8Two Regular Member

I'd suggest the oval rackets because she will be forced to learn the hit shuttle properly, instead of just using a larger sweetspot to hit. If you decide to go with Yonex, a Yonex 8400 will do fine. It's decent weight, and a tad head-light, and flexible, which is suitable for beginners.

Also consider getting her a pair of shoes, if she doesn't have a pair of court shoes.

15. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    It is a shame, but I never did get myself badminton shoes. I should have. Same in other sport where I did not get cleats and should.

It is weird, I am usually perfectionnist, but maybe because of this, I put thing aside (saying myself: I should but not acting).

I need to put this on my want list... but I don't play as much as before. :\

Maybe if she would like it, I will go grab a pair of shoes for myself too. However, for shoes, I am never gonna buy those thing in advance, because you have to try them usually (at less personally I have, the same for any clothes) to see if I like it and feel comfortable with. Of course we can always return, but it is easier to go pick 'em up directly.

16. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    Latests notes

String : BG-65 (mainly for durability and it is good enough, unless there is another yonex string with the same durability)

- if BG-65 Ti is available at same price does it has the same reputation for durability and is it "better"?. I guess I won't go into the BG-80, etc. [that is the one I used often thought for myself] Even thought since she won't be a power player, etc. it mights be nice. I think I had a BG-65 once and it took a while to broke -- I was not playing as much thought, so I want to get a string for someone who won't necessary play as regular as you guys ;-))

String tension: 20/22 (I have go for 21/23 for myself in my last string [I just checked on BC message board and that is what I said at less :D], I will put slighty lower so 20/22 should be right. 22 being the cross).

Rackets:

For racket, I still think with Yonex and maybe SOTX since those are available near me. I don't think I will look anything else (even if all other brand probably have nice stuff like Wilson, Black Nights, Cartlon was the first brand I got when I was in high school -- but I was not near as good as I get when I played in college with a coach, etc. It was just for fun)

To narrow my choice, I have now made a checklist of what seem available near me and at price. If you got a online store or a store at Montreal/Quebec/Canada that I can get those at better price or get better deal, let me know.

Yonex (http://yonex.com/badminton_racquets.cfm)

Yonex cab 8400 ($70 CAD @ badmintonzon)
    Yonex cab 8600 Light ($80 CAD @ badmintonzon)
    Yonex iso 65 Light ($75 CAD @ badmintonzon)
    Yonex iso 75 Light ($85 CAD @ badmintonzon)
    Yonex muscle power 23 ($90 CAD @ badmintonzon)
    Yonex muscle power 25 ($100 CAD @ badmintonzon)
    Yonex muscle power 28 ($115 CAD @ badmintonzon)
    Yonex muscle power 30 ($130 CAD @ badmintonzon)
    Yonex muscle power 44 ($125 CAD @ badmintonzon)
    Yonex armortec 300 ($140 CAD @ badmintonzon)
    Yonex armortec 500 ($155 CAD @ badmintonzon)

unless there is better model for buck here:
    http://www.badmintonzon.com/Produits/CatByCo.asp?LangID=1&devise=&CoID=9&S=1&PTid=9
    their price seem "ok", unless of course you find a "bargain".

SOTX (http://www.sotxsports.de/products/racquets.htm)

SOTX Winner Kinsman STB-8080+ ($100 CAD @ racketsportsmontreal.ca)
    SOTX Power Boss Woven-2 ($100 CAD @ racketsportsmontreal.ca)
    SOTX Power Boss Woven-4 ($87 CAD @ racketsportsmontreal.ca)
    SOTX Power Boss Woven-6 ($110 CAD @ racketsportsmontreal.ca, was: $65 USD @ ibuysports.com)
    SOTX Power Boss Woven-8/8a ($125 CAD @ racketsportsmontreal.ca)
    SOTX Power Boss Woven-9 ($135 CAD @ racketsportsmontreal.ca, $110 USD with ti65string @ ibuysports.com)

Note: I don't know if I can deal there, but Jinryu (who I think is behind racketsportmontreal.ca) told me I can at less save taxes if I buy at racketsportmontreal.ca (by being student or member of BC).

Store I consider near me and that I can see price fast:

- badmintonzon.com
    - racketsportsmontreal.ca
    - any other online store with fast delivery to Canada will do it if the price is really worth it (5-10$ save = I prefer to pick up locally, less hassle and faster.)

My location: Montreal / Quebec / Canada

Questions/Consideration:

- Will the grip size matter [I wonder if it is the add-on or the racket is different from the grip size you choose now?] (the girl is 5', not big, etc. so I guess I should pick the smallest grip!? or there is one standard size I should pick)

- I guess it will be nicer for her to have a light racket. She won't be a mega player smash, etc. at first glance. ;-) So an overall racket, light.

- Long or "normal"? Are they all long now (I guess not), do we usually have the choice (back in time I had the choice) or you pick a model and that model usually come long or normal.

- Was suggested Woven-8 / Woven-9 by Jinryu, was suggested also Woven-6 / 8080+ (with idea of more light, by LazyBuddy), was suggested Woven 2 also

- Does SOTX/Woven need to be strung at different tension or they just allow you to strung them at higher?

----------------------

I will continue my search from that.

If from my latests note you have comments, that will be appreciated

17. Midget_Boy

Midget_Boy Regular Member

Student
    I would not suggest the CABs and ISOs you suggested for purchase. Sure, they're cheap and light, but don't really have much power at all (in case the player decides to play more badminton). CAB 8400 is durable though, but overall, a heavy racquet. Haven't tried the others, but ISOs and CABs in that range are typically either all light, no power, or too stiff and heavy for beginners.

As for the MPs you suggested. If you're going to buy one of the MPs, pick either MP-28 or MP-44.
    I really like the MP-28 as a beginner/intermediate racquet that isn't too costly, and has slightly more durability than others. It has many features that make it a comfortable racquet to play with, and still generates a lot of power, enough for an intermediate-pro. It's best attribute is control however, shots are pretty accurate, and easy to swing. It's a good all-rounder for the baddy player that doesn't have techniques learned or mastered, but is looking to get into the sport a lot. Plus it is pretty cheap. The racquet is made fully of Carbon Graphite, so it is pretty light.

MP-44 is a small step up, and has around the same power as MP-28, but it is leaned strongly to the defensive side. It is mid-stiffness, slightly flexible, but not by much. The shaft is composed of HM graphite, so a little more power when swung hard. Its offensive power, smash power isn't too good though, a little weak. But no difference to people that aren't smashers. Its feel is more about quick wrist shots, defensive play, and feel. It is a pretty forgiving racquet, but not as much as MP-28. It is also head light, for speed, and to ease in weaker players.

I wouldn't bother with the other MPs you listed, they are very much similar to MP-28, only less powerful, or less comfortable. In short, similar to MP-28, but MP-28 is better in most cases. Pitch in a few more dollars and get MP-28 instead. MP-30 is pretty forgiving, but is stiff, and is an offensive racquet. A little leaned toward head heavy.

AT-300 is fairly good for a player beginning to play offensive in badminton, but is a little harder to generate power than other AT racquets, it is stiffer. Pay a little more for AT-500, one of the AT's line's best sellers. Though it is head heavy, AT-500 is leaned toward the more even balanced side, and is pretty forgiving, easier to use. It has good speed, and is very powerful. AT-700 is a powerhouse, but is super head heavy, is hard to use for weak/novice players, so AT-500 is a good balance in between power, speed, comfort. The only other AT racquet that is more balanced while strong at the same time is AT-800DE, which is one of Yonex's most expensive racquets.

Recap I recommend:

MP-28: Cheap, easiness to use, control, all rounder
    MP-44: Defensive, Very easy to use, light and fast(good for weak players), headlight.
    AT-500: Easy to use, feel, power + balance, speed (It's like an Offensive racquet that feels good, and is balanced at the same time).

I like long length racquets, most of them are long anyways. Just 1 cm more, it is easy to adjust, and in heated games, makes reaching and swingiing just a tad bit easier.

If you're looking for absolute comfort in grip, get the grip size that matches her hand best, good grip, without it being like a pencil, or basball bat. Otherwise, buy smallest grip possible, because of lightness, and her small hands. If she grows older, her hand length may also grow. And an easy and quick way to solve small grip sizes is to apply layers of overgrip until it reaches desired size.

#17 Midget_Boy, Nov 23, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  18. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    Thanks Midget_Boy.

I listed this checklist without give much attention but to price + availability very fast.

I think you are right and I will take the smallest GRIP if that is made directly into the model, in the worse case, I just buy another grip later. The girl won't grow, she finished to ;-) [25 y/o], we are "young" but not young enough to expect to change much physically ;-)

Anyway there isn't much price difference the MP28 and MP44 (at less at the store I gave).

As for long, it is 1 inch difference AFAIK. Personally my own racket is long. I guess it doesn't make much of a difference if you begin to play and get used to it right away. And most racket seem to be long, but I notice that 8400 seem to be standard (26 inchs) for example. So I guess if the model has a choice, I will take long.

For the spec, the SOTX seems pretty good. I guess I will have to make a choice fast tomorrow. Maybe all choice are not so bad in the end.

From the spec the AT500 seem as heavy as the MP44 for example. But maybe it is a feeling that I don't see by reading fast. Probably most racket now are quite light compared to 5 years ago for example (I guess they improve from time), so they are probably all pretty much decent (unless you intentionally want a heavier racket).

19. Double_Player

Double_Player Regular Member

buy her the lower level MP series from yonex. MP 23 only cost like CDN $70 from sportmart to CDN $ 120 at sport check. I think it'll be a good entry level racquets, and you won't burn a lot of money is she decided she's not into badminton. or just get her those iso series racquets...cheap and looks cool.:)

20. mickoz

mickoz Regular Member

Software Developper
    Hi, yeah, MP series might be an interesting fast choice. Sometime newbie also like the style of their racket (even if when you play it doesn't mean much), we are influenced a little by the look. So I might check a little which one look more cool (even if that is subjective)

I was tempted by SOTX but haven't had a reply from the racketsmontreal, etc. and I am looking to get this racket fast (preferably before tomorrow, or else Monday at max) [I can wait more if needed, it is just what would be ideal]. Maybe I should call.

I have attached my excel with data taking from badmintonzon (I might buy here, unless I see a bargain by looking fast fast around there, we never know, sometime SportExperts, etc. have some rebate in-store [even if often it is high price here from what I heard], I might go take a fast look to see tonight).

The yellow name entry in the Excel are the ones I probably now consider more.

My main questionning with SOTX (is the model I checked is suitable for beginner with not much power, Woven 8/9. Iso are maybe less good to learn to hit "well", but will be more fun for a beginner, but then it all depends the person.) -- And more I check it, GRIP size might be a good idea, but from what I saw SOTX are maybe G4 which is probably alright?

My carbonex 15 at home is like 2U, G3 I think... and it was alright back in time and still is. So I don't think any choice will be that wrong. Even for myself that like to play more competition, even a less better racket will do fine (of course some racket might make me feel better, hit better a little, etc. -- but still, the skill play a big role like we all know).

On Yonex website they don't list all MP (I don't know if that mean other are discontinued or what and if I should choose a listed one, probably just mean it is less in the market or it means nothing hehe):

http://yonex.com/badminton_muscle.cfm

Attached Files: