New Stringing machine

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Runner23, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Runner23

Runner23 Regular Member

Stock Analyst
    I need a new stringing machine, or at least so ive decided.
    My old one is a 6 point drop weight machine.
    My main quarry with it is that the string grippers tend to cut the string when i string at 25 lbs or above. Ive tried to loosen the clamp but then the string just slides when i tension, and it costs me a new string every time it cuts the string. Anyone knows what can be done to alleviate this problem??

For my new machine I want as much support as possible and a crank instead. if the clamps are double action, then they should be spring assisted to make it faster. Ive looked at some eagnas machines, but their website is, to put it mildly, confusing and doesnt seem updated. Any suggestions for a machine (any brand) that meets these demands?? Id rather buy an expensive machine to ensure that I get a quality one.

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Why not just get a HiQua flying clamp. I tried and it can handle 28lb without cutting the string or problem.

3. Runner23

Runner23 Regular Member

Stock Analyst
    I could get a flying clamp, but then Ill have to clamp 2 strings at the same time- i think thats a scary prospect. Besides im not really sure if that will fix the string cutting problem.

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Wrong Forum

Shouldn't this posting be in the Stringing Forum?

5. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

Flying clamps aren't that scary. I use a 6-point drop weight with Eagnas flying clamps. 28lb is OK.

If you don't think changing clamps will fix your problem, why would changing machine fix it?

6. Runner23

Runner23 Regular Member

Stock Analyst
    I also want the new machine to speed the stringing process by getting a crank instead of my current drop weight.

Thats why I was looking for machine recommendations :)

7. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

IMO, crank machine does not speed up stringing process that much. Also, with crank machine, you need to take your hand away to crank the machine. Also, you need to calibrate the crank machine often. Only advantage for crank machine is that SOME carnk machine can be converted into electric machine. If that is the case, why not just buy a electric machine?

8. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

A full electronic machine can be quite expensive. There are cheaper ones from Silent Partner and others, but they're still just spring-loaded tension heads and not constant-pull. Kind of defeating the purpose of getting an electronic, IMHO.

A crank with, say, a Wise 2086 head is most likely still cheaper compared to a full electronic equivalent counterpart. There are still some questions in my mind about the suitability of the Wise 2086 for badminton use, but I digress.

That said, the OP may want to check out machines from Gamma and Mutual Power. They provide an electronic upgrade path for some of their models, if that is a consideration. And both companies have excellent customer service from what I gather.