Using your fingers

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Eric, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Eric

Eric Guest

Hi,
    I just read the tips at prizmsports that darryl yung posted.
    He mentioned about using your fingers, and not having your palm completely on your grip. something like that.

How is that possible?
    any replys would be great

2. Pete

Pete Guest

Is this Eric Yan?

3. marti juan

marti juan Guest

Eric, mabye this will help.

Well, what he ment is that you would need to hold it first with your fingers then...

Think of the place between your index finger and your thumb as a wheel axel.
    The racquet should be faced forward with your fingers attached. And so, your racquet handle is a bit far from your palm, but the handle is held tight by your index finger and thumb. Now, Gently(or quickly if you want.) tighten th grip all of your fingers(this would bring the handle into the grasp if the palm.). Its kinda like Opening and Closing your Hand, but the gripping power mostly comes form the middle finger, ring finger, and the pinky.
    This method is usually used for drives, clears, drops, and even sometimes for smashes.

Get the Picture? :D
    I hope you do...
    This is just what I think it is, but i think you should try it atleast.^^
    anywayz, thats all.
    (sorry for the bit abstract desciption.)

marti j.

4. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Re: Eric, mabye this will help.

the majority of your strokes could be performed holding the racquet grip with you thumg, index finger and middle finger. the racquet grip is actually floating or pivoting within the three digit grip.

5. marti juan

marti juan Guest

Hey thanks.

ei badrad,

thanks for maki'n it clear.

6. Eric

Eric Guest

No it isn't

7. Eric

Eric Guest

Re: Eric, mabye this will help.

Thanks

8. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Re: an exercise to strengthen your fingers

when i was practicing the strokes, in order to strengthen my fingers i used a 5 pound weight suspended by a short length of rope tied to middle of a wooden rod. this is a similar exercise for wrist, except you use only your thumb and index and middle finger to roll the weight up. you can isolate the exercise using only your racquet hand, using the non-racquet hand for balancing the rod. do this pulling the weight up and letting it down (do not let the weight drop on it's own).