Zhao jian hua-part 2

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Terence, Mar 17, 2002.

1. Terence

Terence Guest

perhaps money sucker was a harsh phase that made many ppl fail to c the point.

1) i am chinese born in singapore.i am loyal to my country singapore

2)i will hate and despise COACHES and PLAYER from any country who claim they can make a big impact to enhance the standard of singapore fail to do so.

3)i m once train by a few chinese coaches.i came from their chinese coaching enviroment.No one understand as much as i do.

4)Zhao jian hua actually make many comments that singapore badminton to him is not even a standard of any province of china,the time he made this comment,he was not in charge of the national team.in fact that time he was part of the yang yang sport company.he have no problem surviving in singapore.

5)if u say he have to pay for the electrical and power bills.Then let me ask all of u,how abt the local coaches and players born in the singapore soil.Dun u know that there r some who made alot of constribution but not recognised by the SBA or should i say blindfolded by the SBA

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    1. So. Does that makes u more holy?
    2. Did Zhao JH put this claim in writing or swear in oath and cross his heart and hope to die promise?
    3. You're not the only one who is trained by chinese coaches/players. Is it that u had a bad experience yourself and now u paint all chinese instructors as money sucker?
    4. That is the truth. Seems that u can't handle the truth?
    5. Shouldn't u take up your anger with the SBA? I doubt Zhao JH points a gun to SBA official's heads and force them to sign a contract with him.

Terence wrote:
    >
    > perhaps money sucker was a harsh phase that made many
    > ppl fail to c the point.
    >
    > 1) i am chinese born in singapore.i am loyal to my country
    > singapore
    >
    > 2)i will hate and despise COACHES and PLAYER from any country
    > who claim they can make a big impact to enhance the standard
    > of singapore fail to do so.
    >
    > 3)i m once train by a few chinese coaches.i came from their
    > chinese coaching enviroment.No one understand as much as i do.
    >
    > 4)Zhao jian hua actually make many comments that singapore
    > badminton to him is not even a standard of any province of
    > china,the time he made this comment,he was not in charge of
    > the national team.in fact that time he was part of the yang
    > yang sport company.he have no problem surviving in singapore.
    >
    > 5)if u say he have to pay for the electrical and power
    > bills.Then let me ask all of u,how abt the local coaches and
    > players born in the singapore soil.Dun u know that there r
    > some who made alot of constribution but not recognised by the
    > SBA or should i say blindfolded by the SBA

3. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    (This is the tenth time I'm replying to this message. I keep hitting the back button accidentally.)

1. Terence did not claim to be any holier. He is merely stating that as a Chinese born in Singapore, his loyalties lie with this country in the same way that your loyalties, Cooler, will lie with Canada instead of HK or China.

2. I do not know if Zhao ever claimed that he could raise the standard of local badminton. What I do feel however is that the coaches can only do this much. If we have a relatively small talent pool to begin with, can we expect anybody to perform miracles?

3. Coincidentally, my air rifle coach in JC was also from China. I personally did not have any bad experiences with her. While I did hear some nasty tales from friends who were in the National Team, those had nothing to do with money.

4. I don't think anybody has a problem with that. If I did not read Terence wrongly, what he implied was that Zhao made the statement about Singapore having a weak team as a fully-employed person with no trouble making ends meet. Which means, his reason for not coaching us was purely erm... ideological? That he wasn't going to head a squad with no potential. But then, he eventually did so. To make some extra cash? Only God knows.

5. Again, barring any misinterpretation on my part, Terence IS venting his frustration with the SBA for not recognizing the contribution of locals, particularly in the light of their current usage of imports - players and coaches alike. The way I see it though, nobody owes us a living. There is no reason why we should expect outsiders to work without pay for a cause that does not belong to them.

I don't know if I've responded appropriately to this thread. Terence, I get what you're saying but maybe you were a bit harsh with your words. Given the large number of China/Zhao supporters on this forum, may we both be struck by lightning and die a terrible death.

(Still struggling)
    Adel

4. Terence

Terence Guest

THank u Adel,
    At least i can find 1 true person who at least can understand what i have been talking.im not very in good in my expression.

i admit i have been harsh in my words.My apology to many here who may be china /jian hua supporter.

5. Terence

Terence Guest

I think
    If u r his supporter,sorry i spoil his reputation.
    If u r SBA supporter,dun feel sad that i am angry cause im not.

Like i say,i am a great fan of zhao jian hua,his deceptive skills r really superior.i mange to watch a video where he played morten frost in 1985.It was his first all-england title.i tell u it cant be compare in todays standard.In 1994,he came to singapore,his first school was anglican high,my friend from anglican high describe
    him as GOD of badminton

He didn point the gun to the SBA official to sign.But i think SBA officials point the gun on him to force him to end the contract before the contract expire.NOw Its the indonesia ruling on the national team.

We can easily blindfolded by anything great and nice without realising.
    So there is nothing wrong if the SbA were really blindfolded by his great name.

But the fact that best player dun guarantee to produce good competitve players.
    And he didn produce any.

sorry cooler ,dun get so work up...ok

6. modious

modious Regular Member

As Adel has mentioned, Singapore has a very small pool of talent.
    What's more is that Singaporeans have this perception, Education is ALWAYS more important than sports because you will have a stable income and career.
    How can you blame them, good jobs in Singapore are hard to find if you dun have your degrees, etc...
    To many Singaporeans, sports is just another passing phase in their lives.

The Singapore Government don't have facilities that cater to someones studies while harnessing their sport talents. I believe there're such "sports schools" in other countries rite?

Well yesterday the Singapore Sports Council (SSC) launched a bold new scheme which caters to an athelete's development in Sports, Education and Career. Under the Athlete Career and Training Program (ACT), the SSC will help the athlete realise his sporting potential as well as prepare him/her for life AFTER competitive sports.

Hopefully this will rise Singapore standards.... I think it will. :)

But it will take quite awhile.....

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Fortunately, i'm not terence nor holds his value. My allegiance is borderless. Badminton in canada sucks, canadian badminton players suck. See, i said that. In sports, and like most other things too, i have no fondness to particular countries, teams, or brands. Let just say Zhao JH did more to badminton than all of canada badminton history put together. No, i don't idolize Zhao like other sports fan with their favorite entities, Zhao's place in badminton are just facts, just like grezky in hockey or pele in soccer. Unless Zhao starts flaunting his skills and extorting money because of his status, i see him as another regular joe outside of badminton.

Adel wrote:
    >
    > (This is the tenth time I'm replying to this message. I
    > keep hitting the back button accidentally.)
    >
    > 1. Terence did not claim to be any holier. He is merely
    > stating that as a Chinese born in Singapore, his loyalties
    > lie with this country in the same way that your loyalties,
    > Cooler, will lie with Canada instead of HK or China.
    >
    > 2. I do not know if Zhao ever claimed that he could raise the
    > standard of local badminton. What I do feel however is that
    > the coaches can only do this much. If we have a relatively
    > small talent pool to begin with, can we expect anybody to
    > perform miracles?
    >
    > 3. Coincidentally, my air rifle coach in JC was also from
    > China. I personally did not have any bad experiences with
    > her. While I did hear some nasty tales from friends who were
    > in the National Team, those had nothing to do with money.
    >
    > 4. I don't think anybody has a problem with that. If I did
    > not read Terence wrongly, what he implied was that Zhao made
    > the statement about Singapore having a weak team as a
    > fully-employed person with no trouble making ends meet. Which
    > means, his reason for not coaching us was purely erm...
    > ideological? That he wasn't going to head a squad with no
    > potential. But then, he eventually did so. To make some extra
    > cash? Only God knows.
    >
    > 5. Again, barring any misinterpretation on my part, Terence
    > IS venting his frustration with the SBA for not recognizing
    > the contribution of locals, particularly in the light of
    > their current usage of imports - players and coaches alike.
    > The way I see it though, nobody owes us a living. There is no
    > reason why we should expect outsiders to work without pay for
    > a cause that does not belong to them.
    >
    > I don't know if I've responded appropriately to this thread.
    > Terence, I get what you're saying but maybe you were a bit
    > harsh with your words. Given the large number of China/Zhao
    > supporters on this forum, may we both be struck by lightning
    > and die a terrible death.
    >
    > (Still struggling)
    > Adel

8. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Just what we need - another program! =)

Anyway, I'm glad to announce that two of my finals are over. Just like that! Even though I'll probably end up with a GPA of 1.0 but let's save that for later...

9. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Some things are easier to admit than others. Neither Terence nor I am trying to deny that Singapore is NOT world-classed in terms of badminton standards.

Singapore badminton sucks. Our players suck too. See, I said that as well. Not too difficult is it?

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    ??sorry Terence

So what are you trying to say?
    Before, you gave the impression that Zhao was a money sucking parasite. Now you say the SBA forced him to end the contract.
    Maybe he did train the squad to its fullest potential. That it doesn't do well on the World badminton scene - well, is that his fault? He would have still fufilled his duty.
    You say that nobody knows more than you because you got trained by a few Chinese coaches. Anybody with common sense can see this is not a valid statement.
    Great coaches don't have to be great players.
    Great teachers are not necessarily great players. Even in University, academic teaching staff maybe be terrible at teaching.(Personal experience)
    If the SBA is the problem, why are you venting your frustration on an innocent party? (Unless you follow the principle 'guilty unless proven otherwise').

Although you slurred Zhao's name, I think you may have unwittingly insulted another 1 billion people. I'm not saying everybody is an angel but in every society, there are good people and bad people.

BTW, S'pore also has an initiative to attract highly educated people to S'pore. Do they come under the same banner?

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

see, we're all feeling better now except that you will feel even better after your last exam.

12. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Re: ??sorry Terence

I think you all miss the point.

People in Nanyang expect this "labour of love" thing

and generally frown on people who make money in certain

sectors, something like those Scandinavians.

There are many local people who offer their services free

especially in religion.

Maybe Nanyang people tend to forget that most other people

are not so wealthy.

13. terence

terence Guest

bbn,i wan to stress this point,

Sba approach Zhao many times to ask him to coach the national team many times.He turn down.He didn wan cause he have a job in the day.That means hee cant coach full-time.Plus he have express to the media that he have no intention to coach singapore national team.He said he will ONLY coach if china national team wants him.He also say that to the media that the standard in singapore is not even the standard of any province in china.

i read all this sometime less then 2 year ago chinese in lian he wang bao(chinese newspaper)

The last year,Zhang qing wu(ex-singapore national coach also end the contract before expires) resigned.Sba as usual have to find replacement was more eager to sign zhao.So Sba sign zhao to coach part-time at an un-disclosed fee.Many ppl guess is 1.5k.But i have reliable info tha it was more than 2k.

Time pass,contract was terminted before expires.
    WHY?
    cooler,i just was to ask u for ur views(no emotion involve please!!)
    others may participate

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

terence, thanks for asking for my opinion. However, i do admit that my knowledge around singapore badminton scene is very limited if non-existence. My previous point of views were made in the context of zhao's conduct which i didn't find it to be shameful as you had first painted. I can only make observation based on what information provided by you and other posters here.

From what i have read so far, i doubt that Zhao terminated his contract because of money. He knew what he got when he sign the contract so terminating now lead me to believe it's something else. Given that zhang qing wu also terminated his contract prior to expiration, i believe the reason for early termination of contract between them likely to be similar. What's that reason i don't know. I can only guess: lack of artistic freedom? micromanagement from the SBA? SBA politic? Students not allow to train full time? What ever the reason, it doesn't sound like related to money.

15. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I think students training and suff like that actually comes to tradition and culture apart from the Facilities or amenities available to train!

I thik In India every kid who is 10 to 12 is given a ultimatum! either u take up sports and spoil ur career or U just study hard and lead a normal life if not a rich life!

Parents tell their kids to stop playing and It happened to me! i was supposed to be decent in cricket and i had to leave cricket as i was given a ultimatum! actaully how rich can u become by playing a sport like Badminton? That does not stop me froim playing badmitnon with sometop level players of My state!

I think what parents tell u is that u woudl rather choose to be a bill bowermann or a Phil Knight rather than be a ronaldo or a rivaldo!

I am sure that most kids would continue with the sport they want to play if thier Lifes are guaranteed to a certain extent! i guess this is soemthing the government shoudl address and this shoudl seep into the heads of teh parents! I am not blaming them but then that is the situation of sports in India! It is so sad to knwo that a country which has teh second largest Populatioin the world has very few sports person of decent calibre i sbecause of this simple fact!

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker

Thanks for digressing this information.
    I think anybody has the right to change their mind in light of new information/offers.
    One has to be flexible with a changing environment. Here's a couple of analogies.....

Although I detest Durian and have vowed never to eat it, I may be forced to if starving and the only food source was durian. (A bit off the point but do you see the analogy).

Or, if I was a highly educated white collar worker in S'pore and then lost my job, I might be forced to take up a manual labouring job to make ends meet. Hell, I might even take the labouring job if it meant pay was better than the previous job and I really needed the cash.

17. terence

terence Guest

You r rite cooler.
    The contract was already sign.Termination of the contract before expiration brings no good to Zhao.There could only be Sba wants to terminate first.

In order to produce result.A national coach must always be fully dedicated to the national team.This means he must coach Full TIME and not PART time.It a joke to me actually when i found out this.Its make me think that he is coaching a school more than coaching the national team.It just not professional enough.

if u say its no big deal.It should be flexible.Then why do sba need to pay such a sum for someone to coach part time?
    Big Name? Ex-world Champion? If the sba is not blindfolded then what can i describe?
    Sba realise this is a mistake.Sba terminte the contract.Ofcourse sba have plan to sign Mulyo than after zhao's termination

Zhang qing wu's termintion is another person which give me bad impression abt chinese coaches.
    when qing wu took up the job,he told the sba that the team will going to win the commonwealth gold medal.(Many coaches in singapore have been talking abt this)He was confident especially when many indonesia like susilo and ah man and the four china gals playing for singapore.But HA HA,These player got to pack their bags in the starting round of many tournaments way before the commonwealth games.
    So he knew this is not going to be possible,and so he kiss the national team goodbye.
    For such a "Great coach",why is he employ to coach the national team.Big name?

18. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced

I don't understand what people are arguing here in this topic. Zhao is one of the best badminton players ever. Period. He said the Singapore national team is not as good as one of a province in China. That's true. He doesn't lie. A great player is not necessary a great coach. That's always true. The coach contract was terminated whether it's because SBA thought Zhao didn't qualify or Zhao thought the pay doesn't worth it, that's fine and normal. Zhao is a human, not a saint. Maybe I just don't understand the culture in Singapore.

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

in order to terminate a contract, it is usually by mutual consent. . Therefore, both SBA and Zhao were happy when signing and when ripping up the contract. End of story.

20. terence

terence Guest

Ofcourse both party must come with an agreement to sign or terminate a contract.But that dose not necessarily means that both parties r happy with the agreement.In this case,one party r force to terminate the contract due to factors which they dun reveal to the media.