Hwang Yu-mi

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by xavier felipe, Nov 27, 2005.

1. xavier felipe

xavier felipe Regular Member

Hi everyone,

I wonder where is Hwang Yu-mi now, did she retire now? I think she is still young
    However maybe she felt neglected since her partner Lee Hyo-jung now partner with Lee Kyung-won.
    It's sad if she retire, i think she can play with Ha Jung-eun or Lee Yun-hwa

Does anyone know any news about Jang Hye-ock, previous top wd player in 1994-1998?
    Is she still playing badminton now? I heard previously she had illness, is it true?

regards

2. event

event Regular Member

Jang Hye-ock is coaching now. She coaches middle school boys now. She did coach elementary school girls and middle school girls in Incheon. She also was apparently a (the?) Junior National Team coach this year.

She was a recent addition as a player to a team that represents the Jeonbuk Bank but I don't know how competitive that is. No tournament results visible for her after 2001.

This is all from the info at the above link.

3. event

event Regular Member

Hwang is partnered with Noonnopi teammate Jun Woul-sik[sic]. They beat Jiang/Li of Singapore on the way to the Japan Open QF this year and they lost to Zhang/Zhang in the first round of the Thai Open.

Daegyo Noonnopi is Ra Kyung-min's team for domestic tournaments. Lee Yun-hwa is on the team but Ha Jung-eun is still in high school. Maybe next year.

Hwang isn't playing in this week's Korean national tournament, either. Jun Woul-sik will be playing with Ju Hyun-heui, instead. They played together last year, too, and made the semis. I don't know why Hwang isn't playing this year. I doubt I'll get a chance to ask her, either. Athletes and spectators sit in very close quarters but old male nobodies chatting up female stars in their early twenties is a little awkward especially across what, for me, is still a bit of a language barrier. I suppose I could pretend to be a member of the international badminton press.

The last domestic result I see for Hwang was a tournament last December when she played with Ra Kyung-min and they lost in the final to Lee Hyo-jung and Lee Kyung-won.

4. event

event Regular Member

Lee Yun-hwa seems to be concentrating on her singles game. She has been meeting top-10 players in the early rounds of every tournament this year and is ranked 47th in the world, which is still behind her teammate Jun Jae-youn, who has been out with an injury since the Swiss Open. Lee won the Canadian Open a couple of weeks ago, though. She will be playing only singles in the Nationals this week. No doubles. Ha Jung-eun will be playing with partners from other high schools.

5. Syaoran_Style

Syaoran_Style Regular Member

And what about park tae sang ?! he doesn't appear in the world ranking ! :confused:

6. event

event Regular Member

Park Tae-sang was on the national team until last year. This year he shows up as a trainer for the national team but he is still a member of Kim Dong-moon's Samsung Electromechanics team. he placed second in a domestic tournament earlier this year but that was right before the WC, so most of the big guns were absent. It says he was on the Korean Thomas Cup team last year and made the semis of the Asian Badminton Championships in 2004 also but no international results since then. He's 26 now.

He'll be playing in the nationals tomorrow but not for long, I fear. He is to face Shon Seung-mo in the first round.

7. xavier felipe

xavier felipe Regular Member

Event

Thanks for the post. It gives me a great information. So, I think by Hwang is rarely playing in international tournaments, is weakening the Korean team especially in women's double. Maybe it's also because badminton is not a popular game in korea

Tell me event why you may have opportunity to meet Korean player and got infos about them? are you a korean? or you just stay in korea?

Many thanks

8. event

event Regular Member

Not Korean, but I live here and can read most of the articles on the badminton news sites. Most of the information I gave you is just data from the profile links I included in the post. There are some reasons why I could know more. The city I live in is home to Kim Dong-moon's professional team. The Korean nationals were held here last week. Several of the pro teams practiced at my gym in May and August this year. Having said all that, I don't actually talk to the players. I'm too old to ask for autographs and not a good enough player to ever hope to spar with any of them. Most of them are just kids and I don't need to be an old guy striking up a conversation with them just to say I did so I sit beside them all the time watching tournaments and don't say anything to them. I am, however, interested in how they're doing internationally and what the potential for the team is and at times I am curious enough that I wish I did have an excuse to interview them.

I'm not sure how Hwang Yu-mi's absence from international tournaments could be linked to the popularity of badminton in Korea. The national team seems to get funding and go about their business independently of the Korean populace. That's the way it is with most sports here. They do their thing in obscurity until the Olympics come around. On Friday, I had to ask Ha Jung-eun if I had missed her mixed final (she was sitting a few feet away, I'd arrived late, and the schedule had changed at the last minute) and the guy beside me, who plays just as often as I do, had no idea who she was nor that she was even a competitor.
    My guess would be that Hwang might be injured but I don't have my ear so close to the ground that I'd be up on that type of news and it doesn't circulate so well even on the news sites.

9. economet

economet Regular Member

Hwang, Yoomi, was injured like Jun, Jaeyoun.
    But she is supposed to have recovered now.
    Park, Taesang, had a serious back injury. He had a complicated surgery early this year. Last week, he lost against Sohn, Seungmo, in the first round of a domestic tournament. But I hope he can come back next year.

I open a new thread with pictures of Daekyo Noonnoppi's players. (Ra, Kyungmin; Jun, Jaeyoun; Hwang, Yoomi; Jun, Wolsik etc.)

10. event

event Regular Member

I wondered when economet would join in with some real insider information.

I can't find the photo thread. Have you not yet opened it? Okay, correction. I just found it.

#10 event, Dec 5, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  11. event

event Regular Member

She's back!

I guess she's back. She and Lee Yong-dae have made it to the QF of the Swiss Open.

12. event

event Regular Member

Jang Hye-ock

Jang was on TV on Friday. She reached the finals of the Korean summer tournament where she lost to a new pairing that includes Jung Jae-heui, who was Ra Kyung-min's women's doubles partner in the semi-finals at the Sydney Olympics. Actually Jang, at 29, is only a year older than Jung but the latter looks like a 28-year-old whereas the former looks much older. Maybe she was sick, as you said. Still a good player, though.

13. loanduong85

loanduong85 Regular Member

Hii event,
    I know you are Korean. Would you mind telling me about Jang Soo Young.
    I know she is very young and born in 1988.
    Any korean badminton website for national team?

14. event

event Regular Member

Actually, I am not really Korean. I have never seen Jang Soo Young play. Not that I know of, anyway. There is no website for the national team. The Korean Badminton Association does have a site with lots of information about the national team but all of it is in Korean. This is a page on her but there isn't much there even in Korean. This is the only photo I found of her.

Here is an article about her but it looks very old. And another with a photo. And another. and another and another

#14 event, Jun 7, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  15. event

event Regular Member

16. event

event Regular Member

And just to send this thread back on topic, here is a new article on Hwang Yumi. I'm too lazy to translate it, though.

17. seawell

seawell Regular Member

Yu-mi 's pic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. event

event Regular Member

More photos of Hwang Yu-mi here.