...computer help

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Eurasian =--(O), Nov 27, 2005.

1. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

Hey I recently reinstalled my windows b/c something with my device drivers was so corrupt windows would auto reset everytime it turned on. I couldn't fix it even with selective start ups or safe mode so I decided to reinstall windows.

Just before my computer started going crazy certain letters in some sentences would drop from a line of text partially. For instance my 'a's would drop so that they would be 1/3 visible, only the top of the 'a' would be visible.
    It just started happening again. Is it something with my font? If my computer blows up again im going to be angry and maybe have to dish out real cash to get it proffesionally fixed... can anyone help? I think it has to do with either my

chipset
    video card
    sound card

2. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Ive heard of viruses doing similar things but was in a DOS environment. If u didnt wipe and reinstall I suggest u back up ur files and do that.

3. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Easy option out??

Get a shottie and pump your PC full of lead. Then borrow about USD$10,000 and buy yourself a kick ass gaming machine.

Option 2: Wipe your entire hard disk and start from there. Might be a virus. You never know. If you think it's your sound card, remove your sound card and try to boot it up without a sound card or a different one. If you think it's your video card, borrow some generic video card and try booting it.

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Shottie? Shotgun? :D How about a 0.50 caliber round from one kilometer away ;) .

5. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    lol. Might be good idea. But the thing with the shottie is you feel more satisfaction of smashing your PC to bits with 12 gauge shells :D

6. pengu1ns

pengu1ns Regular Member

er...
    Lol the thread is about computer help yet there are more posts about how to do away with a computer :p
    (I recommend grenades btw ;) )

7. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Well, technically, that [size=+1]IS[/size] one way to get rid of the virus (virii?) onboard.

-dave

8. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    How did you conclude it was a problem with your device drivers in the first place? I'm curious because I think we need more info about that before we can help diagnose your problem. A device driver problem shouldn't take down the entire machine in isolation.

When you say windows auto resets, do you mean it soft boots and it starts from scratch at the bios?

9. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Sounds like another problem. Not sure if it is a hardware problem. A trojan and worm infection . . . maybe.

10. other

other Regular Member

Student
    viruses

haha...i see someone has drawn inspiration from that video of the US soldier dropping a grenade in a washing machine......

i think a hard drive wipe should do the trick:D

11. Eurasian =--(O)

when my machine got critical it would boot up windows and restart as soon as the login screen was loaded. I had to use safe mode then reinstalled windows. I am still having some problems, now not with random resets but anytime I use a 3D app or game or the 3D mode in catalyst I get an error about a VPU recovery and the game / app exits but is still running. The VPU recovery happens within 10 seconds of the app starting up.

Now when I try to run the 3D app in catalyst i get 'the currently used openGL driver does not support the required extensions to run the 3D preview'

#11 Eurasian =--(O), Nov 27, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  12. samtruong200

samtruong200 Regular Member

if the bc ppl's advice doesnt help, you could always go to smartcomputing.com they have this really cool thing where u put in the error message n they decode it for you n tell u how to fix it. i would go there anywayz n check it out and see if u can find da answer to ur comp prob

13. 604badder

604badder Member

Here's something to try. . Open your case and see how hot the GPU on the graphics card is. Is the headsink extremely hot? See if it correlates with your shutdowns. Keep the case open for a while, and see if when you crash, it's also when it's hot. If so, it could be going into thermal shutdown. Likewise, if it doesn't feel even warm, then your heatsink may have loosened off the card and it's unable to dissipate the heat. A very common reason for ATI Catalyst to go into VPU recovery is heat.

When the graphics card is unable to recover from the thermal shutdown, it causes a reboot or just freezes with a black screen. I know because I've been fussing around with making my machine quiet with less fans running. :D

P.S.If there's a fan, make sure that's running fine too.

#13 604badder, Nov 27, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2005
  14. Eurasian =--(O)

Ya I've tried everything. How do you do a complete system wipe?

15. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    F Disk your hard drive?

16. 604badder

604badder Member

When installing, when it asks you which drive to install on, delete the one with the operating system, then let it format and install on that partition. Usually a good idea to have the OS on a separate partition just for these wacky emergencies.

17. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

the problem with windows is that after say, 6-12 months of usage, file corruption slowly creeps in and you are forced to reformat because there's no way to fix it.

I had to 'reformat' my hard disk last week because of this - it was something like formatting but much faster - don't want to get too technical, but i basically replaced the boot partition with a partition image i had duplicated earlier on which was clean and error free using Acronis: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/

What happened is that my game, Battlefield 2, kept on crashing. I reinstalled it, reinstalled graphics drivers, directx etc... no joy. There was no virus or spyware involved.

After putting in the 'clean' partition and then installing Battlefield 2 into it, BF2 works fine.

Oh yeah, because i put all my data in other drives, wiping the boot partition (which contains only bootup programs like the OS and MSOffice etc) doesn't cause any problems regarding lost data.

18. Eurasian =--(O)

I reinstalled windows earlier but it wouldn't let me wipe the hard drive. Do I have to reinstall windows via CD? I can't just already have it on my computer then do it that way? What happened last time was windows pretty much reinstalled over itself leaving all my other files relatively intact. SoOoOo I need to go out and buy windows I'm guessing.

19. samtruong200

samtruong200 Regular Member

u should have it if u bought that computer brand new from a store becuase wen u buy a new computer they give u the OS cd so u dont have to go out and buy it. if u go out and buy it, it can get up to 130 i think last time i checked.