User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default crosscourt smashes weaker?

Generally speaking, should crosscourt smashes be weaker? I seem to be slicing my smashes in order to land steeper and near midcourt. Smashing from my forhand back corner to the opponents forhand midcout seems difficult to generate power. When I power smash straight it feels like a solid hit but it feels very different when going crosscourt. Is this normal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generally, crosscourt smashes will be alittle weaker compared to straight, since the shuttle have to travel alittle farther. But you are saying it feels different, so it sounds like you are slicing it. Try to get someone watch the next time you are playing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, generally it should be a little bit weaker due to the extra distance as taber mentioned. However if done right you should be able to land the shuttle a lot closer to the net (not talking about slicing) compared to smashing straight due to the trajectory of the cross court smash. This will force your opponent to stretch even further. Higher risk of hiting wide tho if you are too ambitious and not consistent.

8man

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think this all decides on which side ur doin the crosscourt. for me, if i hit a smash from forehand side to my opponents forhand side (assuming we're both right handed) it is weaker, but if its from my backhand side to my opponents backhand side, it becomes more powerful. not sure y, i guess its because i dun turn my body when its on my forehand side

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smashes will be weaker if you are not hitting them straight. This is a positional problem. If you are set up to smash straight down a line then you are going to get maximum power. If you set up to smash straight down a line, then attempt to hit cross-court you are not deriving the maximum benefit from your set up as your racket head is not on the same rotational plane as your body. If you want to hit a fast smash cross-court you have to turn and face that part of the court. However, there are not too many situations in badminton when a forehad cross-court smash from the rear court is a good plan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"cross court smashes" in doubles is not the best of ideas....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by malayali
    "cross court smashes" in doubles is not the best of ideas....
    Sir, why do you say that?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is more difficult for your partner to cover when your opponent returns your "cross court smash"...
    Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    Smashing crosscourt in doubles may seem impressive, but it usually poses no problem for your opponents, and their response should cause trouble for you.

• The smash speed will be slower, and the opponents will have more time to react, because the shuttle travels a longer distance.
    • Conversely, the opponents straight reply to the rearcourt (flat or lifted) will come faster, and you will have more difficulty reaching it.

Indeed, attacking crosscourt is rarely a good tactic. It looks fancy, but normally exposes you to a straight counter-attack. In doubles, the straight shot is normally better than the crosscourt shot.

There are, of course, exceptions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for posting that; couldn't have explained that any better....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was talking about singles but i guess you guys answered doubles also.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry, if it was too much information for you; next time we'll keep that in mind...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    There are, of course, exceptions.
    Thanks, just wanted to see if there were any additional variations aside from what I have learned. You can never learn too much.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by checkthemc
    I was talking about singles but i guess you guys answered doubles also.
    I was looking for Doubles info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drop_n_net
    i think this all decides on which side ur doin the crosscourt. for me, if i hit a smash from forehand side to my opponents forhand side (assuming we're both right handed) it is weaker, but if its from my backhand side to my opponents backhand side, it becomes more powerful. not sure y, i guess its because i dun turn my body when its on my forehand side
    just posted a reply recently in "badminton photography". which is in the chit chat subforum! it's about capturing the best looking action posture. for me, that's crosscourt
    anyway, let's go back to the discussion. yes, i agree. it's all about which side u are doing a crosscourt. but my point is just oppsite to yours. i think if u are doing a crosscourt from your forehand side. u can actually hit the bird with more power. coz u have more space to swing your racket. but if u are doing a crosscourt from your backhand side. u have less space to get your racket accerated. in order to compensate the power lost. u gotta use more wrist. but saddly, most of the players' wrist aren't that strong. as a result, the crosscourt would be less powerful.
    i might be wrong. that's only my point of view within my limited knowledge.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by red00ecstrat
    i think if u are doing a crosscourt from your forehand side. u can actually hit the bird with more power. coz u have more space to swing your racket.
    Your comment suggests that your point of contact when you play a smash is too wide. Ideally, the smash should be played above the head/shoulder, not out to the side.

You have probably developed a preference for this because the mechanics of your swing are not quite right. Lead with the elbow and prevent your arm from swinging out too much to the side.

Fundamentally, a crosscourt should be slower. It's simple physics!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    Your comment suggests that your point of contact when you play a smash is too wide. Ideally, the smash should be played above the head/shoulder, not out to the side.

You have probably developed a preference for this because the mechanics of your swing are not quite right. Lead with the elbow and prevent your arm from swinging out too much to the side.

Fundamentally, a crosscourt should be slower. It's simple physics!
    Ok, crosscourt smashes are weaker than straight down the line smashes. But, of the two cross court smashes (from your forehand and backhand corners), is one weaker than the other (relatively speaking) or both about the same? I am asking this question in regard to the pronation of the arm to generate power, whether one can generate more power going cross court from the backhand corner, which is the natural direction of the pronation. Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast