Is jump smash more powerful

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Ricky, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Ricky

Ricky Regular Member

IT
    I know that jump smash can produce a deeper and sharper smash. However, is it more powerful than normal smash as well ?

2. Daniel

Daniel Guest

Hi Ricky. In my humble opinion, a jump smash is used if you can execute it with precise accuracy and speed. Otherwise, you don't have time to defend yourself if your opponent can return it where you are not.
    My partner likes to jump smash quite often and he's got pretty good speed. However, we were not able to win any A level tournament. That is because most A players are capable of reading the angle of attack as well as the speed of defence. When your opponents can return your jump smashes, I would stop and play a different strategy.

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    It would depend. If done right, the jump smash is more "powerful" than a normal smash as the angle would be steeper and the power should be there as the power of a stroke is dependent on racquet head speed and wrist. Plus, by jumping, I can get to the shuttle sooner which allows a faster return and less time for the opponent to prepare to return a smash.

Downside would be that recovery is longer and also you expend more energy. I have to disagree with your comment about "However, we were not able to win any A level tournament. That is because most A players are capable of reading the angle of attack as well as the speed of defence". Smashes whether it is jump smash or not are considered to be attempted winning shots. It is built upon a series of building shots. Just because your opponent return a high lob do not mean that you have smash (esp. if it is in the rear court). A good deceptive drop works as well. You and your partner probably need to look at where your smashes are targetted at and varies those. If you smashes directly at your opponent, it is possible that they could return the smashes whereas if you smashes away from their bodies, they have to reach to return and chances of a poor return is higher.

Remember that badminton is a game of strategy, mental toughness AND skills. Just having the skills do not make a winning player. I know that I've said this in previous other posts but one book that I highly recommend is "Excelling at Badminton" by Jake Downey. There are a lot of good pointers in that book on how to improve your play (skills, strategies and mental development).

4. Christian

Christian Guest

Just one comment on where to target a smash.

Peter wrote that smashing away from the opponent's body would increase the chance of a poor return.

Sometimes this is correct.

I find very often though that the most efficient smash is the one which is targetted directly at the opponents "racketarm-shoulder". This is an extremely difficult place to reach and even if the opponent should return the smash, chances are that he/she will not be able to control the return, because it is such a difficult place to reach.

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Peter, I would agree that in singles smashes should be viewed as attempted winner shots. However, in doubles, at least at a competitive level, this is not so. Hardly ever is the first smash intended as a winner. Instead, it is the second, third of fourth smash that wins the point, or causes that poor lift which can be put down by your partner. They are what I call "patience smashes"...

Also, regarding the jump smash, I would argue that in a smash where you have floor contact with your non-racquet leg you have more body rotation and thus can generate higher shuttle speed. Jump smashes have other benefits, as already mentioned. But nobody in their right mind would try and break the world speed record using a jump smash.

6. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Mag,
    I don't disagree with you but when you look at all the shots that you can play in a game of badminton, wouldn't you categorize a smash as an attempted winning shot? The idea behind the smash is to win the point outright or to force a weak return for a second smash? A shot like the clear is definitely not an attempted winning shot although it could win a point if your opponent misjudge the shot or mishit his/her return.

If you get a return high in the mid court, a smash would be considered a winning shot wouldn't it? Anyhow, it is just semantics but that was what I was taught/learned. :D

Would I use the jump smash all the time? Nah, too tiring. Would I use the jump smash over the smash? Yeah, if the situation is right.

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Yes, you are absolutely right, Peter. I didn't really contradict you. The smash is typically the most offensive stroke in badminton.

I was just emphasizing that in a high-level doubles game, most smashes are almost of a defensive nature -- the idea is to uphold the attack, and to provoke a poor return. This is also why, in mixed doubles, it's usually the lady that finishes the point.