Am I Going To Be Stuck Being Average?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by coryprice, Nov 30, 2005.

1. coryprice

coryprice Regular Member

Home Depot
    Hello Everyone,

I have a question more or less related to potential, and would like to get feedback from different people. In particular the question would probably best be answered by those who have played at a very high level of badminton, or do currently play at top level competitiv, as you will see.

Those who don't know me, I used to play competitive at the national level when I lived in Canada, about 15 years ago, and was on my way (read: hoping for) :) the Olympics representing my country.

I fell out of the sport due to an injury, because I didn't play enough tournaments to keep my spot on the team. I hadn't picked up the racquet again for the whole 15 years. Just this past year I started up again at a local club, which has average level players (in my opinion--no offense if anyone from the club is reading!) :)

My question is, would it be possible to advance back up to that level again, without getting to play with top national level players? My feeling is that I have gotten better since starting to play again. Many shots are still coming along better each day, such as my jump smash, and my deception is coming back a bit.

But I want to get back to playing competitive, and would like a chance at winning some top tournaments, even if not internationally, at least nationally at the various state open championships which are held.

Do I have the ability to reach that level playing at the club I do, with training and practice, or do I need to regularly compete with and play with people who are that much better than me?

One case in point would be that I started losing singles matches to people who were much older than me, and definitely not as fast as I can go, and without the stamina I have. I started by losing 15-4, 15-6, somewhere around there.

I have been working at the game, and just this past Saturday we played a quick singles game, and we had to quit when time was up, but the score was 10-9 in his favor. So it seems I am improving, but again, is there a limit?

FYI, I am male 35 years old, and I hope that is enough information for someone to offer their opinions. Thanks all!

Cory

2. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    It depends... Are you willing to put in the time, effort, and sacrifices that comes with this goal.... if yes.......... then it's all about your commitment and ability / stock.

But don't get too ahead of yourself... Do make sure you set your longterm targets and short term targets as well.

Good Luck.

8man

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    IMHO,

The strokes would come back - after all, it's repetition that would improve the shots.

Physiologically, that's something different. You probably need a lot of time to get the muscles developed to the same level. You would probably need to retrain the muscle respone time. That could be done with practice as well.

Mentally, tactics and game play. No substitute for actual match play. You've also taken a long break so that's potentially 15 years of tactical play you've not gained.

The way I see it, I'd expect you have a very rapid improvement in the first year because your strokes and body movement will come back fast. You may then hit a plateau becuase your present club members may not be able to push you more i.e. they make errors during prolonged rallies, many of the rallies don't even get past three shots, they may not quite understand how slight changes of height, speed and angle of shot are variations within a rally that can create openings...

For training, you'd have to set the routines and practice just like you used to do. Your training partner also has to understand those requirements BUT I think it's pretty difficult to find ordinary players who can understand those needs. You may have to teach the training partner how to do the feeding.

Another thing, do you have the time and motivation to do these things when other priorities in life have gained more importance?

It's not impossible - Pi Hong Yan is way ahead of all other french players. I bet she's taught them how she needs to train to maintain her level on the international circuit.