problems with returning attacking clear..

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Darma Sucipto, Dec 1, 2005.

1. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

hey there...
    my weakness now is currently returning attacking clear...i normally lose to a lot of people because of this.. whenever my opponent push the birdie from the front to the back or hitting an attacking clear to me...i always get exhauted :crying: ... its because my footwork from the middle to the back is very slow if compared to my footwork to the front... eventhough i can return it, the shot that i return is not a very good shot and sometimes gives oppurtunity to opponent to kill the birdie by accident...any advice guys??

thanks...;)

2. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

You said it yourself, footwork! Besides shawdow footwork, try doing half-court drops & clears.

Drill-A (w/ one other player)
    Player1 clears
    Player2 drops
    Player1 netshot
    Player2 clears
    (repeat)

Drill-B (against two other players)
    Player2a at the net
    Player2b at the back
    Player1 starts with a clear
    Player2b can choose either to drop or attacking clear
    Player1 can choose either to drop, net, or clear
    Player2a can choose either net or lift to the back

This way, you won't know which shot will be next and you must get back to the base position.

Cheers! :)

3. dpc1l

dpc1l Regular Member

I had a similar problem, and it obviously stems from footwork. With me, it wasn't the footwork for getting to the back corner that was the problem, but my recovery after other shots, causing a slow return to base. Maybe it's the same with you?

You (I) need to practice the footwork a lot to get it into "muscle memory" according to my coach.

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    If it is not already a motor skill (Muscle memory), then the correct technique must become so, as this is the most efficient way of moving to the rear.

You say your movement to the net is comparitively quick, this may be because moving to the front is easier so you practice more. It is very common for this to happen. When you practice your shadow work (of which you should always do) make sure at least 80% of the movement are to the rear court. (since mainly movements to the rear are nmore common, and it is your weaker area)

Also Movement to the front requires more calf power (lower leg) whilst moveing to the rear requires more quad power (upper leg, so do more exercises involving quads, eg squats jumping from the knees, not ankles.

Finally try simply running forward to the net, then to the base line, but forward to the net and nackwards to the baseline, this way you will increase your speed to the front and to the rear.

5. tze yang

tze yang Regular Member

World No. 3 In Outdoor Badminton
    Defending an attacking clear?

How to do it?Now that I started using attacking clears and pushes to gain the killer shot...I'm wondering how should i myself return an attacking clear or a deep push...

By nature and also lack of training, i'm very slow moving backwards, so apart from training on that what else is essential on returning those shots?

Btw, is music good for relaxtation before tournaments?becoz i see a lot of sportmen like swimmers having their mp3 players on b4 taking it to the pool...
    Does it work for badminton?If yes, would harder music work better in pumping us up?Or the slow relaxing music to relax our thoughts be better?

6. jerby

jerby Regular Member

the music, is personal....

the attackign clear: there are two solutions:

get behind it fast enough
    practise to take it as early on as possible: if possible in front of your body! so If someone passes an attacking clear down the line, focus on block jumping "into" it to take it early. note: takes practise.

And when you finally can intercept such a shot you can turn the advantage around: the "attacking clear" has ended up as a "weak clear/short lift"

7. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

just practise your back to back footwork as fast as possible. do it everyday and do alot.
    about music, it depends on the person. some people can relax their mind with musics and some people do other things. it depends on yourself..

8. xkenji

xkenji Regular Member

Yes I also have trouble with this move esp when it is aimed at my backhand. I can get there in time eventho I could be a bit faster but its very hard to clear with my backhand from all the way back there right after having to backup in a hurry. Which open leaves for a short flat shot or a drop which then gives my oppenent the chance to hit it anywhere on the court almost and he gains the advantage which most of the time leads to a point.

9. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

download the commonwealth games Bronze medal MS video (Ghaffar vs Chetan Anand). Ghaffar has a more defensive and 'positional' style of play and tries to push his opponent all over the court ... watch Chetan Anand's footwork and how quickly he reacts to Ghaffar's attacking clears.

10. Alfredhpv

Alfredhpv Regular Member

Accountant
    How is the footwork to left and right corner if opponent making attacking clear, it cause too much stress to my backhand.
    Any expert willing to share.