Doubles, playing at the front/net

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by bchaiyow, Dec 1, 2005.

1. bchaiyow

bchaiyow Regular Member

Wow, I have been playing doubles for so many years, and I know I still have a lot to learn. But this should have been something basic that I should have learned long ago. So first of all, credit goes to BC!!! After becoming BC'er, I downloaded many badminton games. The most reason one I watched all the time is China Open MD Final (Ina/denmark).

So I have noticed the way they serve, I notice they grip the racket pretty much above the cone area. So i thought, ok, maybe that helps with serving better. Then I read kwun's (I think) article regarding grips, and said that this kind of grip is best for use at the net in a doubles game.

So last 2 evenings, I tried exactly that. The first nite, I was playing against intermediate/advanced ppl, and wow, I could win so many points by simply being fast and using this grip. I find I can do drives and quick smashes from the front so much easier.

So last nite, I played using this style again, and wow we were up 13-1 pretty quickly, and I'd say 80% of those points were from me being at the front/serving.:D The ppl I played with, they know how I play, and all of the sudden they just dont know what's going on :)

So really, I have to thank BC for this. The site is awesome...thanks again to you all.

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Sometimes the inspiration from watching a good match is all you need to break old habits. :)

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

*cough*

My (I think) article regarding grips :D

It's very satisfying to hear testimonials like yours :)

A new version of the guide WILL appear, I promise! I'm getting a bit hung up on the web design at the moment, but it's worth doing properly.

As Lee Jae Bok says, the grip is the most important technical element of badminton. So many problems can be traced to using a poor grip, and surprising improvements can be made by just a subtle adjustment of your grip.

But only if you know what kind of subtle adjustment to make. Spreading that knowledge is my mission :)

4. bchaiyow

bchaiyow Regular Member

oops, my apologies...read too many posts, forgot which ones belong to whom :) Credit goes to Gollum too....

thanks....

bchaiyow

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

No apology necessary! For a start, the guide has my real name on it, so no way for you to guess ;)