Surprise, surprise, only women shuttlers left in the fray

Discussion in '2005 South East Asian Games - Badminton' started by ants, Dec 2, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar Dec3

FOR the first time in history, Malaysia will only be represented by women players in the finals of the SEA Games badminton competition today.

All four Malaysian representatives in the men's singles and doubles semi-finals crashed out to Indonesian opposition at the Philsports Multisports Complex in Pasig City last night.

The national shuttlers' loss paved the way for the Indonesians to exact revenge for the 2-3 defeat to Malaysia in the men's team final on Wednesday.

Malaysia will only be represented in the women's singles and doubles finals by Wong Mew Choo and the Chin Ee Hui-Wong Pei Tty combination respectively.

Mew Choo downed second seed Li Li of Singapore 11-2, 11-6 to march into her second consecutive final and will now face Indonesian Adrianti Firdasari in the final.

Adrianti also created an upset in the women's semi-final when she ousted top seed Salakjit Ponsana of Thailand 11-6, 7-11, 13-12 in a titanic battle.

“Despite the lopsided scoreline, it was not that easy to overcome Li Li. I am feeling very exhausted now, but I suppose Adrianti will also be tired after her gruelling semi-final win over Salakjit.

“It will be a tough encounter but I promise to play till I drop,” said Mew Choo.

Top national pair Chin Ee Hui-Wong Pei Tty also marched into the women's doubles final, defeating Singapore's Jiang Yanmei-Li Yujia 15-8, 15-12 in the last four. They will now take on Indonesia's Jo Novita-Greysia Polii in the final today.

The men, however, proved to be huge disappointments.

National number one Lee Chong Wei, who escaped by the skin of his teeth against Vietnam's Nguyen Tien Minh in the quarter-finals on Thursday, failed to produce a second escape act against Indonesia's third ranked Simon Santoso.

He looked lethargic and was bundled out 11-5, 9-15 by the player whom Wong Choong Hann had easily defeated 15-9, 15-7 in the team event.

“Nothing seemed to go right for me against Simon. It's a wake-up call for me to work harder in training and not to take any opponent for granted,” said Chong Wei.

There was no joy as well for Choong Hann and his partner Tan Fook in the doubles semi-final. They were beaten 10-15, 2-15 by top seeds Luluk Hadiyanto-Alvent Yulianto.

Mohd Hafiz Hashim then crashed to Sony Dwi Kuncoro, who got his revenge by winning 15-11, 15-1.

On Wednesday, Hafiz had downed Sony 15-4, 15-11.

The most disappointing result for Malaysia was Chan Chong Ming-Koo Kien Keat's defeat at the hands of Markus Kido- Hendra Setiawan 13-15, 13-15.

The Malaysians held the upper hand in both games before blowing huge leads to allow their opponents to win.

In the first game, Chong Ming-Kien Keat raced to a 13-7 lead but allowed their opponents to overtake them at the end.

In the second game, the pair blew a 9-4 lead to end up being eliminated.

It was a double heartbreak for Kien Keat as he and partner Pei Tty had earlier lost their mixed doubles semi-final 9-15, 5-15 to Indonesia's Anggun Nugroho-Yunita Tetty.

“It is not that the Malaysian men had lost the fire to fight after bagging the team gold. It is just that they were a spent force on the court today,” said national chief coach Yap Kim Hock.

2. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    the champions, hope you like the pics:)

Attached Files:

• wd1.JPG
      wd1.JPG
      File size:
      72.5 KB
      Views:
    • wd2.JPG
      wd2.JPG
      File size:
      80.5 KB
      Views:
    • wd3.JPG
      wd3.JPG
      File size:
      87.2 KB
      Views:
    • wd4.JPG
      wd4.JPG
      File size:
      85.2 KB
      Views:
  3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Oh yes... Coach Cheah must be very proud of them. At least he is smiling.

4. snowflake

snowflake Regular Member

wow, thanx for your sharing, glencomienda111. I am so happy when i heard the final result yesterday.
    However, I would like to develop the photo, could you share the original size photo with me? many many many thanx..........:D