Wow. Computers are technical [formatting question]

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Eurasian =--(O), Dec 3, 2005.

1. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

So I have an XP CD. I put it in the CD drive and i choose to boot up from the CD. So everything seems to be going ok. Windows Setup starts to load drivers, adapters, ect. Then I get the message windows is starting up at the bottom and my screen flickers once or twice. And I get this stupid blue screen everytime that goes on about not having enough drive space (17 gigs free), and possibly something wrong with my video drivers (what am I looking into right now). The next paragraph talks about my BIOS and cache and shadowing. It also says if this is the first time you've seen this message restart your computer.

Then I get this Technical Explanation at the bottom.
    Stop: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0x00000001, 0xF7CC218C, 0xF7CC1E88)

Can anyone tell me how to format my hardrive now that all this is going on?

2. noluckjim

noluckjim Regular Member

Student
    Why do you need to format?

The bios shadowing/caching can be disabled in the bios setup. That probably won't clear things up, but it's a start.

3. Eurasian =--(O)

My computer is just so messed up right now I want to reformat it and start from scratch. I get random resets, my video drivers never seem to work right even when i reinstall them, my hard drive is infested with malware, spyware and trojans. Its ridiculous. I'm never cheaping out on virus / spyware / malware protection again/.

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Yeah, start from scratch is the best way now. There is no point into saving what is un-savable.

5. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

The good news is there is excellent freeware available. eg: Avast anti-virus.

6. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student

There's an even better one.... don't click on stuff you don't know the source of. :rolleyes:

7. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I vouch for AVAST. I get the Professional Version.

8. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Speaking of formatting, I don't want to start a new thread, so I hope you don't mind me posting in here. Lol.

I want to reformat my PC but I lost my boot disk. How do I make another one? :)

9. Eurasian =--(O)

I think the easiest way is to download a premade one. Google boot disks for your OS.

Lol enough about virus checks i want my computer to actually be able to start up!!! :crying:

10. Break-My-String

Break-My-String Regular Member

Hi Eurasian =--(O),

Your error message could be caused by various problems such as BIOS conflicts, video drivers, or even bad RAM.

It will be advisable to do a clean install with the BIOS set to its default settings.

But before you reset the BIOS, write down all the settings so that when your PC is running smoothly, you can optimize the BIOS settings (changing one setting at a time) and see if it affects/crashes your PC.

If you have an integrated motherboard (ie/ on-board video, sound, network, etc), if is strongly advisable to find out the make, model & version number of the motherboard, along with the BIOS make & version.

With the BIOS settings changed to boot from CD first, boot the PC with the XP cd.

During the setup, choose to delete & create a new partition & format your HDD. Do not select to install over the existing partition.

Anytime you have a problematic / infected PC, don't just bootup into your infected system and then run XP setup from the CD. There is no guarantee your problems will be resolved.

Tell me how it goes from here, Cheers!

11. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    I still say my shot gun idea is the best....

12. noluckjim

noluckjim Regular Member

Student
    If you do plan to reformat, be sure to record all the hardware details of your PC and to make sure drivers are available.

At the very least, make sure you have drivers enough to get internet going (ethernet or modem? Depends on how you connect). The rest can be downloaded if necessary.

As said before, resetting the bios is a good idea, just note down your current settings as well.

And my best piece of advice - partition your harddrive. Windows will typically become the root of all evil in time, so keeping windows separate will make it easier to do a format next time :)

13. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

If you want to reset the bios... just remove the battery from the motherboard and count to 10 then put the battery back in and reboot. Bios should be resetted.

Oh yea. PLEASE DISCHARGE YOURSELF FIRST BEFORE DOING IT. I AM NOT LIABLE FROM STATIC SHOCKS.

14. noluckjim

noluckjim Regular Member

Student
    Alternatively, there should be a jumper near the cmos battery. Pull it out, short the other pin, and put it back. Check your motherboard manual or Google, should be heaps of stuff on the net about cmos resets.

OR!

I think the Award bios has a function to reset to defaults inside the bios setup itself :)

15. Eurasian =--(O)

I have a gigabyte motherboard. Where is the battery and the switch? Whereabouts should I look for it? I dont want to start randomly pulling out wires that i think aren't permanently attached (souldered).

I also read on a forum elsewhere about downloading my hardrive maker's diagnostic kit. So I've done that and am about to try it.

16. noluckjim

noluckjim Regular Member

Student
    The battery. Small silver disc, about 2cm diameter, should be in the lower right corner of the motherboard (assuming that you're orienting the motherboard such that the CPU is in the top half).

Switch is merely a jumper. Should be near the battery somewhere.

Guide:
    x = pin
    [ . . ] = jumper

The pins, without the jumper, should look like this:
    x x x

With the jumper, they should look like this
    x[ . . ] or [ . . ]x. The jumper can only cover two pins.

The jumper always sits on two pins. To reset via the jumpers, pull off the jumper, place on the other combination of two pins, and then back again.

Give the diagnostic a run first, may be that your harddrive is dying from all the badminton vids :p

#16 noluckjim, Dec 4, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  17. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Battery looks like the one you put in your watch or something. That kind. It's easy to spot out. Just remember which side of the battery is supposed to face up.

18. Eurasian =--(O)

I'm trying all these maxtor bootable files to try to format my computer without the xp disk. Then maybe after its formatted I can use the xp disk w/o any trouble.

19. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

Can your computer still boot up? You can boot up your computer, go to windows explorer, right click-format and format the hard disk? (at least i think you can)

20. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    That won't solve his problem, he needs to wipe the partition with Windows on it. Doing it from within windows won't solve his conumdrum.