User Tag List

Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any updates yet Dink?
    I remember somewhere on another thread you said you might update your grip review thread sometime soon (2-3 weeks ago).
    Btw have you tried Prince DURATRED? (not duratrend not duratac) Its what i use and i want to see how you think it compares to the other ones on your review.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by t3tsubo
    Any updates yet Dink?
    I remember somewhere on another thread you said you might update your grip review thread sometime soon (2-3 weeks ago).
    Btw have you tried Prince DURATRED? (not duratrend not duratac) Its what i use and i want to see how you think it compares to the other ones on your review.
    No updates yet. I have tried DuraTred, it's got very good grip, it's thin but durability is a bit lacking.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update: I found a better solution then overgrips. Complete replacement grips! I've tried a few, Prince DuraTred, Tactic, Wilson and they are first-rate. They provide much more durability, better feel, better cushioning, better just about everything except price of course. I'm going to add a replacement grip review in about 3-4 weeks. I just ordered $200 worth of replacement grips from Tennis Warehouse so stay tuned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What caused this revelation? (don't know how to spel opifany )

But when you say 'durable' what time scale are you talking about? how long did a wilson X-tack last you..and how long a replacement grip?
    (in court-time hours?)

EDIT: have you/are you going to try some Sotx replacement grips? (it'll take me a while before I get some in)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jerry: you mean, "epiphany"?

Well, I picked up some Tactic replacement grips from Viper and they are awesome. I would say the replacement grips are 3 to 5 times more durable than the overgrips. They absorb more sweat and just feel way better.

I need to get some SOTX replacement grips...

Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    What caused this revelation? (don't know how to spel opifany )

But when you say 'durable' what time scale are you talking about? how long did a wilson X-tack last you..and how long a replacement grip?
    (in court-time hours?)

EDIT: have you/are you going to try some Sotx replacement grips? (it'll take me a while before I get some in)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ashaway CushyTec PU replacement grips are no less than first rate. I have been using these as over grips for 3-4 months, and the wear is minimal. The grip on my main racket did become a tiny bit softer. As the grip started off quite stiff, the slight softer feel isn't a problem. But for anyone using PU grip, I suggest you start off with something stiffer than you need, as it will soften over time. The shock dampening performance of the grips remained outstanding after months of use. The grippiness remained fine, and I can't remember the last time a racket slipped out of my hand.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    Jerry: you mean, "epiphany"?

Well, I picked up some Tactic replacement grips from Viper and they are awesome. I would say the replacement grips are 3 to 5 times more durable than the overgrips. They absorb more sweat and just feel way better.

I need to get some SOTX replacement grips...
    yes, that's the word..thanks! (english exams here I come! )

some unorganized ramblings:
    -a friend of mine uses some wilson replacement grip wich feels really good, but tears up after some use..the EVA stuff is showing..very odd...
    -can replacement grips be gripped up the cone? (or even shaft?)
    -doesn't your grip feel too thin without an overgrip? hwo do/could you solve that?
    -how many grips have you ordered? 40?
    -3-5 times sounds very long...but how many weeks is it really? a month? (if X-tack lasts you 2 days it doesn't look that impressive )

sorry if I apear a bit overzealus, or hyperactive...I'm just in a bit of grip-experimenting myself, X-tack is good so far, but I have to keep a towel next to me, because it can get slippery very sudden if soaked...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Answers:

1) Where do you plan to go to college now that you have uber vocabulary?

2) Yes, replacement grips work even better up the cone. Also the taper from the butt to handle transition is smooth, no bunching up like overgrips.

3) Who said I don't put on an overgrip? I just switched the order. I put the overgrip under the original handle, then add electric tape to protect it, then add the replacement grip.

4) About 35 different grips.

5) Don't know about the time frame. Will know soon though.

6) Soaked grip? That's why I have multiple rackets, wear a sweat band, and use a tacky liquid for added grip (if need be).

yes, that's the word..thanks! (english exams here I come! )

some unorganized ramblings:
    -a friend of mine uses some wilson replacement grip wich feels really good, but tears up after some use..the EVA stuff is showing..very odd...
    -can replacement grips be gripped up the cone? (or even shaft?)
    -doesn't your grip feel too thin without an overgrip? hwo do/could you solve that?
    -how many grips have you ordered? 40?
    -3-5 times sounds very long...but how many weeks is it really? a month? (if X-tack lasts you 2 days it doesn't look that impressive )

sorry if I apear a bit overzealus, or hyperactive...I'm just in a bit of grip-experimenting myself, X-tack is good so far, but I have to keep a towel next to me, because it can get slippery very sudden if soaked...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahhh yes, I see...thanks for the answers...and It'll probably be a Technical University (Delft, if you have heard of it)

also a nice tip on the overgrip under the replacement grip..it's sounds odd, do you still feel the edges?

I really envy you for living close enough to Tennis-warehouse...all shops (even www-shops) are much more expensive...
    actually..if I buy 20+packs of X-tack or Pro it's less expensive
    but then I have 5 packs lying around, so maybe Sotx-grips are good, and I'll switch...but buyign overgrips around here i no fun....except the yonex ones..wich i don't like...
    Last edited by jerby; 10-07-2006 at 08:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if this thread is bets suited, but I think this is the best place to put it..

I, like many others, hat ribbed grips. and unluckely Sotx always puts a grip with a sewing line on it..But I have found my own solution:

-the grip is basically just a standard replacement grip. but udnerneath there's yarn that pulls together the grip forcing a bulge upwards.(see pic).
    so to get a smooth nice grip: just remove the grip from the racket. get a small sharp pair of scissors and preferably an awl
    -just cut open every peice of string/yarn you see and start yanking it all out with an awl...now just put teh grip back on (be mindfull the grip should overlap a tiny bit (about 1/4th) and grip it up. the grip is also a bit longer (minimal...)

and that's how you get a nice, fluffy Sotx grip without the darn sewingline, but with nice airy holes...

Last edited by jerby; 10-07-2006 at 10:09 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I, like many others, hat ribbed grips. and unluckely Sotx always puts a grip with a sewing line on it..But I have found my own solution:
    Yep, you can remove the stitching via scissors or awl. The SOTX original grip is leather or faux-leather. It's OK but not as good as the tacky synthetic replacement grips.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

does the overgrip underneath matter? should you go for a more sweat absorbing one or a tacky one? sorry i know im a bit obsessive with the small details.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    Yep, you can remove the stitching via scissors or awl. The SOTX original grip is leather or faux-leather. It's OK but not as good as the tacky synthetic replacement grips.
    yeah, they're not very tacky....

though my own experience with replacement grips is not too good...just remebered I had a Yonex lying around (put on my squash racket) and also had a Pacific cushion something wich I tried...
    and personally it feel weird. it doesn't/didn't feel tacky, but a bit more 'rubbery' with good friction when you switched grips but not as 'sticky' as a good overgrip. very weird sensation...

on a different note, I just saw a white replacement grip, very weird. it's the Wilson true grip. (pic below)

bakc to your overgrip+replacement (in that order) what kidn of tape do you put between them? packaging tape (broad scotch-tape like) tape, or electrical tape (like finishing tape, the small black stuff)?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

though my own experience with replacement grips is not too good...just remebered I had a Yonex lying around (put on my squash racket) and also had a Pacific cushion something wich I tried...
    and personally it feel weird. it doesn't/didn't feel tacky, but a bit more 'rubbery' with good friction when you switched grips but not as 'sticky' as a good overgrip. very weird sensation...
    try the karakal pu super grip! http://www.karakal.com/products/grips.html it might solve your problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I been using the Wilson Pro Overgrip for the past couple years and usually buy them in the 30pack reel(from tenniswarehouse.com). I used them on my tennis rackets and also on my badminton rackets. One reason I bought them was for their wet performance. I sweat a lot and so do my hands. Using a wristbands + these overgrips made an strong combo to provide a good solid grip on the handle. What I used before was an Alpha Overgrip(green and felt like rubber) and that was a terrible overgrip. The rubberish feel gave the feeling of extreme tackiness but durability was non-existent. It didn't even lasted two days of use. The Wilson Pro Overgrip was a great replacement to the Alpha Overgrip. The only downside was that it only comes in white(30pack reel). So it gets dirty easily but that doesn't matter to me as long it performs well.

As I'm nearing the end of 30pack reel, I might try out the Gamma Supreme Overgrips. According to DinkAlot review, it had a higher rating in wet department over the Wilson Pro Overgrip. This might come in handy and will try a pack out. The price between the 30pack reel of Gamma Supreme and Wilson Pro isn't that much so a switch is possible.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zasboy
    As I'm nearing the end of 30pack reel, I might try out the Gamma Supreme Overgrips. According to DinkAlot review, it had a higher rating in wet department over the Wilson Pro Overgrip. This might come in handy and will try a pack out. The price between the 30pack reel of Gamma Supreme and Wilson Pro isn't that much so a switch is possible.
    You will not go wrong with Gamma Supreme or Wilson X-tra Tack. I currently, use X-tra Tack on all my rackets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does the Wilson X-tra Tack come in a 30pack reel? I tried searching for it but came out empty handed.

Page 10 of 33 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... LastLast