A very personal interview with LCW's parents,coach & himself

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by weeyet, Dec 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    Source:China Press
    Just a translation for all LCW fan around the world (sorry, english not good. :( )

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Dad: NO MATTER HOW, WON'T LET HIM CRYING

"No matter how tiring, I as a parent, bear the responsibility for my son's future."

Our country's no.1 shuttler Lee Chong Wei's father Lee Ah Choy and mother Khoo Kim Sui, had devoted a lot for their youngest son's success in sports.

Lee Ah Choy (52) when being interviewed by China Press at his home in Bukit Berapit, Penang, said that when Chong Wei was 4, he already had interest in badminton. But, they were very poor.

He said that, when seeing Chong Wei always played basketball under hot sun, he was worried and forbidden him to play basketball. So, badminton became Chong Wei's favourite.

Chong Wei completed his elementary education at Jit Sin Primary School (B), Bukit Mertajam, Penang. Chong Wei was skinny during primary school days, but his badminton skill was better than the average.

He was always teased by other people when playing in competition due to his skinny body. But these pressure did not affect his performance, on contrary, he improved a lot and always won prizes.

Chong Wei's mom Khoo Kim Sui, said that "it's not as a florist praising her flower is fragant", but Chong Wei is really filial, and he always cried.

When Chong Wei was first selected into the national squad, and has to travel all the way south to BAM, everytime he called back home, he cried, because he missed his home and family. Everytime when she received his son Chong Wei's call and hear his tears, she felt very sad.

Mrs. Lee said, after a lot of pursuation, finally, Chong Wei agreed to undergo the training at BAM, he would never disappoint them. Therefore, after several years, finally, Lee Chong Wei stormed into the international arena of badminton.

Never Pick, He eats all, Most Fav. is "Dong Gua" Soup

Chong Wei was raised up in village area, very polite, neighbour always praised him is a good boy.

Nowadays, he is so busy for competition and stay in KL, but the neighbours would still ask his parents, :"When Chong Wei will come back ah?"

If Chong Wei knows he wants to go back hometown, he will surely call back first to ask his mom to prepare his favourite Sambal Udang(chilli prawn) and Dong Gua soup.

His mom (51) said, Chong Wei eats everything, as long as can make him full :D

How Busy It Is, He will still Call Home

CHong Wei's mom said, despite so busy to fly around for competition, but Chong Wei will surely call back home to tell them his condition and results, whether he is in malaysia or not.

Attached Files:

2. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

LCW: I feel "shame" to badminton fans

China Press again interviewed Lee Chong Wei, but this time, from wider view...

FAME
    Chong Wei, height is not very tall, quite skinny, looks average, but so what?? ;) He is famous now.:cool:

Within recent 2 years, he became the focus in our country, even in China, his name attracts some people.

"I never think that I'd become who I am today. Therefore, I'm very happy, I
    like the feeling of being famous, because, this is the results of my tiring training everyday. :p "

But... Chong Wei gradually lost something...:crying:

"Everytime I go out, for example, shopping at pasar malam (night market),
    dinner, or supper with friends, always got people recognize. This had made me feel not comfortable."

"Famous brings some pressure to me. Everyone is focusing on me for our country's results. I have to learn to adapt to this."

At the end of this scope, Chong Wei emphasized, that being famous is not import, he is more concern of his results.

~*~*~*~* BADMINTON FANS *~*~*~*~
    Actually, Chong Wei hoped very much to communicate with his fans.

He grab the chance of this interview, to tell his fans, that he feel "shame" :eek: for them, because, he hadn't played up to his fans expectation!!!

"In Malaysia, the people support us very much. I am thankful for the encouragement. But, I feel "shame".... , especially my performance recently.."

"hopefully I can bring surprise to u all, like the Thomas Cup next year. We every player, all want to win the cup very very much, for our fans :) :cool: :p

Attached Files:

3. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Li Mao: Why the media always ask him when want to win world champion??

Every time, when Chong Wei was trailing in competiton, his view, will immediately drop on his coach. Before this is Misbun, now is still the same...

This proves that, Chong Wei cares about himself in his coach's view.... So, he surely wants to know, how Li Mao views him...

Li Mao said:" He is a very hardworking kid. Everytime I see him training, I feel "heart pain"....:crying: "

He continued: "I really don't understand, a human who has feeling (got flesh & blood), see him train so hard, won't he feel touched???? Some Malaysian media, always blame him, did not win champion; always ask him, when want to win the World Champion :( ...."

"But if you come to the training ground every day, and see how hard he trains, how determined he is, are you still "ren xin" to blame him?? :eek: "

When Li Mao is talking about this matter, his emotion is quite ... These critics in his ears, is very irritating, just because, he loves his player...

He even asked me (the reporter) to notice Chong Wei's training, how many shirts he had changed, and Li Mao even said:" You see they are so hard hard hardworking (ping), would you still want to keep asking them - when you want to win world champion??? Tell them You Must Win World Champion.. etc.. these kind of cruel (can ku)thing??"

Attached Files:

#3 weeyet, Dec 4, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2005
  4. kokcheng

kokcheng Regular Member

Thank you weeyet for the wonderful translation of the interview.Its touching to know the immense pressure that lcw and his fellow teamates have to bear from the malaysian public.Take for example the recently SEA games.Malaysians most probably will focus on why lwc or hafiz did not win the gold in the individual event.But i feel we should be extremely proud of our malaysians players for taking the gold in the men's event.

#4 kokcheng, Dec 5, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  5. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    yup i agree with kokcheng, nice interview, during the SEA games its my first time to see LCW play live, usually i watch him on tv, and i had my picture taken with him, my favorite game was when he defeated Nguyen Tien Minh of vietnam. even if he lost to simon santoso i could see he was really doing his best to win the match.

6. jermaine

jermaine Regular Member

student
    lee chong wei is already a national player, how can the people have that high expectations of him.. i just dont understand, as a badminton player, we already have the pressure of playing in front of about few thousand people and they still expect the players to win, not only chong wei. they shouldnt push him too far, like every dog has its day.

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Really an eye opener to know the other side of LI MAO.

8. Caloy

Caloy Regular Member

LCW is a down to earth guy. I considered him as my badminton idol. It's first time to watch him play live against taufik hidayat..he lost but did not change how i admire this on how he play the game..the match agaisnt Nguyen Tiem Minh is really awesome..you can see his determination to win it for Malaysia..the same determination i saw from him when he defeated Lin Dan to win the Malaysian open. In time, he will be the best badminton player in the world..just be patient with him.:)

Btw, he is the most approachable/entertaining player in the arena. He signs autograph, had his pictures taken with fans, he smiles to everybody...and that's after he lost to Taufik...he is soooo humble to his fans...good character for a soon to be great badminton icon.

#8 Caloy, Dec 5, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2005
  9. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Chong Wei: The lonely kid

Back to 7 years ago, Chong Wei was offered to train under BAM at KL. He brought 2 racquets, 1 luggage, board on the train, and went to KL alone, with his ambition, and loneliness.

Khoo Kim Sui, LCW's mom, told me that, Chong Wei called back home everyday, and he cried, because he was very lonely there, he had no friends there. :crying: He almost gave up to train. After a lot of pursuade and encouragement, finally, Chong Wei agreed to continue training.

Although now LCW has got a lot of friends and supporters in KL, but he still calls back often, whether he is in KL or overseas:D

10. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Chong Wei: Sometimes, I accept friends' date just because.....

Chong Wei told me that, nowadays, he seldom has chance to go back to hometown. When the WC2005 just ended, he got a one-week break. But when he back to hometown, he still had to attend some activities, and meet his old friends. So, actually the time left to accompany his parents is not much...

He also told me a "secret" : "sometimes, when my old friends asked me out for date or wat, I wanted to accompany my parents... But, worrying that they might think I become arrogant already after famous, so... I accompany my old friends-lor(我也陪陪老朋友咯:D )......."

11. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

:D :D :crying: :crying: :D
    jermaine....hahahaha

12. jermaine

jermaine Regular Member

student
    its true that people always think that skinny people cannot play well in badminton, but that is not true, definetly. because im also skinny haha but abit more meat than chong wei. skinny but damn speedy is the key too. badminton is a "pressure" game i must say, especially if you are playing against someone you know you cant win, plus the audiences are there, so much noises, cannot concentrate, the performance will be dropped to 50% then you normally play.
    in badminton, we harness the anger to agility, accuracy, speed and power.

13. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

a bit more meat... hahahaha :D :D
    yes... i agree.. for anyone who doesn't understand... just look at bruce lee

14. yannie

yannie Regular Member

wow thank you yetyet :D

great to hear these stories about lcw... poor kid he once was.

15. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    Thanks for the translation weeyet! :D
    Very interesting!!! :cool:

16. harimau

harimau Regular Member

ITs, CEs, P&C Insurance Agent
    It sounds he trained awfully hard .......... he is very determined ..........ach judging from this story, i think US Players are still far away from achieving any International glory in the near future ....or might never be at that level .....considering no solid sponsorships which would ensure or guarantee or provide comfortable lifestyle in the atheletes future. Hmmmmmmm

17. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

yeah... maybe the sports should reach some popularity in the US first.. btw, harimau, your daugther is so cuteeeee

18. fishnet wen*yi

fishnet wen*yi Regular Member

student
    sigh... that's quite true... like when he lost to simon santoso during the sea games... keep hearing ppl critisising him and saying all sorts of things abt him... i dunno lar... it's as though they think that it is so easy to win a tournament. must be very pressuring to hav so many ppl watching and expecting wonders from u...

19. haifeng4ever

haifeng4ever Regular Member

LCW is really a hardworking player. support him

20. blessing

blessing Regular Member

quite touched by his life as a kid.. yea.. he is skinny but he is FIT~!! good luck chong wei.. jux try ur best in da court..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.