User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by david14700
    If it's legal, that's great, I'm definitely going to try pausing against serve rushers now. Especially against ones I KNOW can't maintain their forward stance for long. You know, the ones who after a couple of seconds start to slowly keel over because they're leaning too far forwards.
    Be careful in a tournament situation, the umpire may call you on delaying the game and you may get a warning.
    All I can say is use the pause wisely and do not waste the "surprise".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

legal...

another fun way is moving your racket back very explosive, and then pause, and then serve(forward) the really anxious almost rol oevr when i move myr acket back that fast..

only use it for shits 'n giggles though. not sportsman-like to do it in competition, especially without real umps..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerby
    legal...

not sportsman-like to do it in competition, especially without real umps..
    agree.. it is really only used in competition when you suspect the receiver is setting off before you deliver the serve..

Coops

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

legal...

another fun way is moving your racket back very explosive, and then pause, and then serve(forward)
    As I explained in another thread, Lee Hyo-jung's coach cried foul when I used that serve against him in a game. Now either this guy, who coaches world-class players, doesn't know the rules, or my serve was illegal or it was legal and he was frustrated at being caught off guard by an amateur and was just pulling rank, assuming I'd defer to him on questions of legality. It's true that people who are getting beaten by unusual serves tend to complain about them but in my case, whenever I complain, it's because the serve is clearly illegal. I haven't seen a film of my serve but I suspect that the explosive backswing causes problems in that when you stop the backward movement, it is very difficult to do that smoothly so more than likely, your wrist is going to do some kind of compensatory forward pressure on the racquet which could look like a fake. Something to think about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, if you stop a rapid backswing then there will inevitably be a rebound effect, with the racket moving forwards. That will make a fault.

A slow backswing followed by a pause is okay, because you will be able to control the racket to avoid accidental jerks forwards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    Yes, if you stop a rapid backswing then there will inevitably be a rebound effect, with the racket moving forwards. That will make a fault.

A slow backswing followed by a pause is okay, because you will be able to control the racket to avoid accidental jerks forwards.
    Disagree - backswing is start of action, there should be no pause as motion should be continous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jump_smash
    Disagree - backswing is start of action, there should be no pause as motion should be continous.
    The rules state that the first forward motion towards the shuttle is the start of the action. The backswing therfore isn't the start of the action.

Gollum meant that there will inevitably be a rebound of forward motion if you make the backswing explosive, thus the action will have begun, and if you stop from then, then it will be an illegal serve.

I would imagine that the quality of a low serve woul dbe redued when using an explosive backswing anyhow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesd20
    The rules state that the first forward motion towards the shuttle is the start of the action. The backswing therfore isn't the start of the action.

Gollum meant that there will inevitably be a rebound of forward motion if you make the backswing explosive, thus the action will have begun, and if you stop from then, then it will be an illegal serve.

I would imagine that the quality of a low serve woul dbe redued when using an explosive backswing anyhow.
    I agree with all this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you swing it back explosivly, jut swing it against your "belly" instead of doign a jerk to stop it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you swing it back explosivly, jut swing it against your "belly" instead of doign a jerk to stop it...
    Not only will that be painful, there will also be a subconcious action that moves away from your stomach region immediately after hitting yourself.

Not a good Idea IMHO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lets add something here:

My understanding is that it is ok to pause after a backswing.

However,

if that is your style, you have to do it the same way all the time. If you elect to do a serve without pausing (hoping to catch an opponent off guard), then you will be faulted the next time you re-introduce a pause.

Thoughts / comments?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

a guy in my badmintonclub say
    that you CANNOT have backswing movement on backhand serve in doubles game

he say that serve is just get your shuttle and racket in position
    then just hit the shuttle forward and that it's the start of the serve

i've been following this thread and another thread on this matter and i think most ppl agree that there is no law against backswing. problem is, i can't argue with him because in the law itself (item 9.4), they never mention backswing at all. so what in the world can i do about this? anybody? i have no proof to give him that the backswing is legal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You cannot base a conclusion based on a fallacy.

Not-A equals not-B is a fallacy.
    Not-B equals not-A is okay.

No rules on backswing, so therefore no backswing allowed (Fallacy).
    There are no backswings in badminton, so there are no backswing rules in badminton (TRUE).

-dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by merlin
    Lets add something here:

My understanding is that it is ok to pause after a backswing.

However,

if that is your style, you have to do it the same way all the time. If you elect to do a serve without pausing (hoping to catch an opponent off guard), then you will be faulted the next time you re-introduce a pause.

Thoughts / comments?
    There is no basis whatever for this in the laws. You really should read them.

However, maybe the origin of his view is that you cannot hold the shuttle in place, bring the racquet to the shuttle and THEN have a backswing because the first forward movement of the shuttle is the start of the serve. Most players get their racquet in position and then place the shuttle in front of it as part of their preparatory action. Maybe he forgets this and holds his shuttle in place first.

Though, at club level, I know a lot of players do exactly that. I also know one that starts his backswing and waggles his racquet twice at the end of it EVERY serve. He just cannot help it and his opponents tolerate it because he cannot help it. He'd be faulted by a service judge though.
    Last edited by CWB001; 12-12-2005 at 01:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wood_22_chuck
    You cannot base a conclusion based on a fallacy.

Not-A equals not-B is a fallacy.
    Not-B equals not-A is okay.

No rules on backswing, so therefore no backswing allowed (Fallacy).
    There are no backswings in badminton, so there are no backswing rules in badminton (TRUE).

-dave
    Interesting logic, but I'm not sure I follow you. I agree with your fallacy, but where do you get the idea that there are no backswings in badminton?

A backswing is allowed in the serve and it may be stopped dead with a pause before the forward movement of the racquet provided there is no bounce, or resumed backswing once the serve has started with a forward movement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so theres no regulations against how many variations of a forehand or backhand serve you can use?
    i beleive a friend of mine had told me that you were allowed only one kind, and any major deviations from those would be considered faults.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chickenpoodle
    so theres no regulations against how many variations of a forehand or backhand serve you can use?
    i beleive a friend of mine had told me that you were allowed only one kind, and any major deviations from those would be considered faults.
    Of course not! I wonder where he gets that one from.

Why don't you just read the laws?

I'm always surprised by how many people believe any old fairytale without checking for themselves.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast