User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    In my opinion, the shuttle is above the waist. It does not matter how I arrive at my conclusion. It's my opinion. End of story.
    Looking at the angles of his arms (especially his left arm), I can't see how the shuttle could be below his waist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think camera angle and perspective make it impossible to judge this, especially since most pro's push the law to the limit.

it's definitely borderline. the shuttle appears to be and inch or so below his elbow which is already raised so i guess it must be right on the line, maybe above, maybe below..

anybody know what the service judge called?

Coops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OTFK
    I would not do it too often as I was warned for intentionally delaying the game.
    How long did you pause?

One of my baddy players always said that i pause too long on my service and i should not hold more than 3 seconds. I am sure my pause is always within 5 seconds but i hope to have a rule to show it to him so that he could keep his mouth shut!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamen
    How long did you pause?

One of my baddy players always said that i pause too long on my service and i should not hold more than 3 seconds. I am sure my pause is always within 5 seconds but i hope to have a rule to show it to him so that he could keep his mouth shut!
    There is no such rule.

There is a rule, however, that states the server must not unduly delay the service. The time is not specified: it is left to the umpire to judge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long did you pause?

I agree with Gollum. There is no specific time indicating how long it too long (it is up to the umpire's discretion).
    My pause was around the 5 second marks because I saw the receiver upper body was leaning over too much and not very stable. Therefore, I was hoping he would "fall over" , hence the long pause to wait for the "movement on his feet". Then I could get a receiver fault.
    Just do not pause too long. I think 3 seconds is as long as I would go and sneek in a 5 seconds pause once in a while. Just watch out for the umpire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OTFK
    I agree with Gollum. There is no specific time indicating how long it too long (it is up to the umpire's discretion).
    My pause was around the 5 second marks because I saw the receiver upper body was leaning over too much and not very stable. Therefore, I was hoping he would "fall over" , hence the long pause to wait for the "movement on his feet". Then I could get a receiver fault.
    Just do not pause too long. I think 3 seconds is as long as I would go and sneek in a 5 seconds pause once in a while. Just watch out for the umpire.
    Me too! I am always at the 3 seconds mark but i would go beyond but not over 5 seconds when the fren who complained is receiving. He would always "fall over" after about three seconds. I would not call a receiver fault though cause it is just a casual game. But when i noticed that he is falling....., i would serve at that instance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Me too! I am always at the 3 seconds mark but i would go beyond but not over 5 seconds when the fren who complained is receiving. He would always "fall over" after about three seconds. I would not call a receiver fault though cause it is just a casual game. But when i noticed that he is falling....., i would serve at that instance.
    here's an interesting one then.. somebody i played against, who (allegedly) played for bucks juniors used to serve forehand, but his service motion was horribly slow, he would go back slowly, then forward slowly too.. really hard to stay put, and if he got the slightest hint you were going forward he would flick..

got used to it eventually, but a very nice serve, difficult as hell to attack without getting flicked..

Coops

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coops241180
    here's an interesting one then.. somebody i played against, who (allegedly) played for bucks juniors used to serve forehand, but his service motion was horribly slow, he would go back slowly, then forward slowly too.. really hard to stay put, and if he got the slightest hint you were going forward he would flick..

got used to it eventually, but a very nice serve, difficult as hell to attack without getting flicked..

Coops
    If he delays too long in hitting the shuttle, then it is a fault. You can't make the receiver crouch there indefinitely.

(Requires an umpire to interpret "too long".)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    If he delays too long in hitting the shuttle, then it is a fault. You can't make the receiver crouch there indefinitely.

oh i wouldn't say it was 'too' long.. it was just slower than anybody i've ever seen or seen since.. very unique, i tried to replicate, but never managed to get it that slow.. probably looking at 3.5 - 5 seconds for the forward motion..

quite an interesting variation on how to serve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once he commences his serve (i.e. starts the forward motion) he has as much time as he likes. If he can deliver a consistent serve at this speed then good luck to him.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CWB001
    Once he commences his serve (i.e. starts the forward motion) he has as much time as he likes. If he can deliver a consistent serve at this speed then good luck to him.
    No he doesn't. Read the rules more carefully -- they have thought of this situation, you know!

Quote Originally Posted by The Laws of Badminton

9.1.1 Neither side shall cause undue delay to the delivery of the service once server and receiver have taken their respective positions.

9.4 Once the players have taken their positions, the first forward movement of the server's racket head shall be the start of the service.

9.5 Once started (Law 9.4), the service is delivered when the shuttle is hit by the server's racket or, attempting to serve, the server misses the shuttle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have to agree with gollum, it will go to the umpire.. but i don't think many umpires would fault a player who took a long time to perform the action. since there is a finite limit on how long it takes to perform the forward motion, and that limit isn't that great..

Coops

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coops241180
    have to agree with gollum, it will go to the umpire.. but i don't think many umpires would fault a player who took a long time to perform the action. since there is a finite limit on how long it takes to perform the forward motion, and that limit isn't that great..

Coops
    On the forehand, I can drag out the forward motion to more than 30 seconds Definitely unfair on the receiver.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the forehand, I can drag out the forward motion to more than 30 seconds Definitely unfair on the receiver.
    30 seconds??!!!!! sheesh.. that must be difficult to maintain as a smooth continuous action

Coops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No he doesn't. Read the rules more carefully -- they have thought of this situation, you know!
    You are quite right.

In practise, it must be very difficult to take this long to move the racquest head a couple of feet in a continuous smooth motion.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CWB001
    In practise, it must be very difficult to take this long to move the racquest head a couple of feet in a continuous smooth motion.
    Yes indeed. Although possible, it's far more trouble than it's worth.

And on the backhand, it's much harder.

Pretty pointless, in my opinion!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If a loophole can be used on the serve, I have full intention to use it to the max.
    Gollum brought up a good point on the forehand short serve. Since now almost everyone serve backhand in doubles (even some singles). Once in a while, sneek in a forehand serve to confuse the receiver.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast