shuttle position in short serve?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jerby, Dec 7, 2005.

1. jerby

jerby Regular Member

when i sevre short (backhand) i just hodl teh shuttle with the cork pointing down directly. but soem people (incl pro's) hodl teh hsuttle different: with the thumb and index finger and point teh cork up to 10 O'clock...
    why? how? what effect? what to change?

2. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    my guess is that the shuttle is already held into position ready to be hit.
    It will jus follow the shortest path where the cork is directed.
    This may also reduce the lift of the shuttle (better serve just clearing the net and difficult to attack). When the cork is positioned downwards, you hit it at an angle the all of a sudden the cork goes flying up and may follow a longer and higher path. May always be in but its generally a few centimetres above the net and in the air longer.

Hope you understand that this is only a guess.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

For a backhand serve, hold the shuttle by one feather's tip, between your index finger and thumb. Keep the other fingers out of the way by straightening them somewhat.

This allows you to let go of the shuttle just before you hit it, taking it from right out your hand (which will be more accurate).

Angle the shuttle so that the cork is pointing towards you (roughly, pointing towards your knees). This will make the service flatter.