Welsh Internationals 2005

Discussion in '2005 Tournaments' started by seven, Dec 9, 2005.

1. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
  2. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    NEWS : Double delight for Chetan-Jwala

[​IMG] HindustanTimes.com » Sport » Other Sports » Story [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Double delight for Chetan-Jwala

[​IMG]
    Saji Chacko
    [​IMG]
    New Delhi, December 5, 2005

Burdagunta Chetan Anand annexed his first title of the year when he won the Welsh Open in Cardiff on Sunday. Chetan brushed aside European junior champion Rajeev Oudlam 15-11, 15-10 in the final.

More glad tidings were to follow when wife Jwala Gutta, partnering V Diju, annexed the mixed doubles title defeating the Scottish pair of Andrew Bowman and Kirsteen Miller in a hard fought three game affair 11-15, 15-10, 15-12.

Speaking from Cardiff, Chetan Anand said that he was confident of winning the title after the semi-final win over Andrew Gordon.

“I had expected the title after my semi-final win over Andrew Gordon. He has an attacking game and had beaten me a couple of times before. Once I got past him (in straight games) I knew the title was going to be mine,” he said.

What made Chetan doubly happy was Jwala's triumph. “I am very happy for her as it is the first time she has won an international title.

“I always felt she had it in her to do well in the mixed doubles,” said the handsome Vijayawada player, who has previously won the French Open title (2003) and the Scottish Open (2004).

With this win, Chetan Anand is bound to break into the top twenty in rankings. Currently ranked 26, Chetan, said, “I am expecting to be in the top twenty by the time the International Badminton Federation announces its latest rankings by Friday.”

[​IMG]