New scoring format for Thomas Cup

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2006' started by ants, Dec 9, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar Dec10

KUALA LUMPUR: Next year's Thomas-Uber Cup Finals in Japan will use a 21-point rally scoring format. Hong Kong celebrity Sally Yeh is now the world badminton's ambassador. And India will host the World Championships for the first time.

These were among some interesting decisions made during the International Badminton Federation (IBF) council meeting at the Istana Hotel here yesterday.

In an effort to popularise the sport and be television-friendly, the council decided that the new 21-point best-of-three games will be experimented with from Feb 1 in all IBF tournaments that offers world ranking points.

After the Thomas-Uber Cup Finals in Japan from April 28-May 7, the council will decide if the scoring format is successful and should be adopted for all their tournaments, including the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.

IBF event committee chairman Paisan Rangsikitpho said: “We have decided to try the rally point scoring system from Feb 1 for both the men and the women. This is in line with our efforts to improve the presentation of the game.

“A final decision will be made on whether to use scoring format on a permanent basis at the next council meeting in Japan.”

“Under these formats, a point is awarded for a rally won and whoever scores the point holds service. For the doubles, the winner of a rally holds service but there will be no second server.

“There will be only breaks at the 11th point for all the events. Apart from that break, players will have to stay inside the court whenever play is stopped. Time will not be wasted and duration of a match can be shortened,” he said.

In an effort to bring in the crowd, the IBF have also decided to inject entertainment into the sport.

Sally has been named the new IBF ambassador.

“We also want our sport to entertain the crowd. Sally will be the right person to promote this game. She is loved by the public and has a great following,” said council member Eraj Wijesinghe.

Meanwhile, India have been named as the host for the 2009 World Championships, the first time the country will host the meet.

Spain is hosting the world meet next year while Malaysia will host it in 2007.

Jakarta will host the 2008 Thomas-Uber Cup Final while the Sudirman Cup will be held in Guangzhou.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Finally some progressive news

3x21 isnt perfect but worth a try. It's alot better than 5x7 or 5x9 varieties.

Wow, BC member sally Y. is the IBF ambassador. Go Sally!!! :)

Things r finally looking up from here.

#2 cooler, Dec 9, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  3. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    its going to be a fast scoring match:)

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

yes and no.
    some team would take less risk and rallies on average can be longer than current average. U do not want to have bad serves :D (or modify it like tennis and get 2 chances to serve per player)

#4 cooler, Dec 9, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2005
  5. glencomienda111

glencomienda111 Regular Member

manager
    we would miss those games wherein the scores are tied for quite some time, you know like 14-13 and service had been going back and forth and nobody's budging:)

6. Matrix

Matrix Regular Member

Regional Sales Manager
    New scoring system

Hi,
    Anyonw know the location or sites where there is a write-up on the new scoring system? Like rules,regulations, and so forth. :confused: Look like everything is new to me...........:p No clear cut hints:eek: If the game going to be fast, then smashers and attackers or defenders or rallying players have more advantages:confused: Acutally the beauty of this game is to test yr endurance and skills............not just speed or attack only:rolleyes:
    Matrix:D

7. fishnet wen*yi

fishnet wen*yi Regular Member

student
    i agree :crying: personally, i still prefer the 15 x 3 format... though it is worth a try... though it is easy to 'throw away' points this way.... services must be more steady... mistakes must be cut down... things like that la... easy to lose but not so taxing to win also depending on which side u r on :p

8. mirrura

mirrura Regular Member

part time dreamer
    I got this from our newspaper "berita harian". I think it summarizes what the article posted by ants.

1. Using the rally system similar to volley ball and pingpong (table tennis)
    2. A 60-second rest will be given when the 11th point is reached
    3. There will not be any rest before that to towel down or even drink water
    4. If the point is tied up at 20-20, the 2 more points is needed
    5. If the point reaches 29-29, the player who gets the 30th point will be the winner.
    6. There will only be one service for the men and women's doubles each time.

9. Viper2005

Viper2005 Regular Member

Play Badminton Everyday!
    Does the women singles have to play to 21 too?

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

11. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

BCers, please test the 21 pt system objectively

Hello BCers,
    Methinks this is a great opportunity to provide a good feedback to IBF Council et al who might be interested. Here is a chance to try the scoring system - most of the posters are players themselves, correct?

Collectively, we can objectively conduct this exercise. It is good to have opinions, this shows passion and thought. Let us see if this passion can now be channelled. Now, go in the Zen mode. Forget everything that went before, this includes your opinions and related bias.

Consciously, keep track of the process of scoring while playing, inlcuding all the "difficulties" you and your court-mates encountered. This will form the "data-set." Write the facts, leaving your opinions out just for this time, to the forum. If people are willing to play along so to speak, I could provide a "how-to." However, I think, just like open-source, we can evolve the how-to.

You reckon, if you have difficulty following the guidelines of the 21-point scoring format at this time, can you imagine how other players (Indons excepted, it was their recommendations in the first place), and the poor sop in the high chair might encounter?

12. Mr. Fault

Mr. Fault Regular Member

Winning after 20 all

With regard to 4 above my reading of the 'new' scoring system tells me that a player wins if he scores 2 consecutive points. Therefore a player trailing 23-24 would win if he wins the next 2 points i.e. 25-24.

I am not so sure about 3 though. How practical can this really be?

Mr.F

13. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

14. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

I always thought---or, assumed, rather---that winning by 2 points is necessary about a deuce (e.g., 22-20, 25-23, etc.). The only exception being if the score is tied at 29-all. But, after re-reading the article at WorldBadminton.net, I think you may be right. Which is a bit strange to me. In almost any score-determined sports, the thing to do after a deuce is always "win by 2." Volleyball, ping-pong, squash, etc.

I've the same thought. On one hand, it appears that IBF wants to preserve the career longevity of top athletes by making matches shorter. OTOH, by making them play so continuously, especially with the very aggressive and physically demanding style that they all do, IMHO they'll have to train even harder perhaps putting them at an even higher risk of injuries. :confused:

15. Mr. Fault

Mr. Fault Regular Member

Lost in translation?

Before reading and re-reading the IBF output I presumed, silly of me obviously(!), that you had to win by 2 clear points - just as in other sports. Could it be that there has been a typo?!

Mr. F

16. Mr. Fault

Mr. Fault Regular Member

Ultimate power!

Just a further observation regarding the above. Point 5 this time:

The Service Judge will have the ultimate power if and when a game / match reaches the score of 29 all. Given that you can now score without even hitting a shot it will be possible for the Service Judge to be the final decider in a match. All he has to do is call "Fault" at 29 all and the Receiver is the Winner! Just imagine the scene ............!

This in itself is a major shift and I would imagine a scary prospect for all concerned.

Mr. Fault

17. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

SJ role in winning at match point-all

Very vivid picture you conjure up. Methinks you are getting carried away a wee bit more than necessary. It looks like the Service Judge's (or the Umpire's) role has not changed from when the scoreline was 14 matchpoint-all in the 3rd set. If there is a "Fault" to be called on the server by the SJ, then so be it. The same would be the case when the Umpire calls on the receiver I should think.

All [good] umpires in any sport are there to ensure the game is played within the rules set and the spirit of the game. They apply them, not make them. It is a pity that you are "Mr. Fault"ing them for the things they do. If any official is in the game arena to exercise ultimate power or any power at all, then may their shoes stick to the pitch and their pencils to the scoresheets, and you may quote me on this.

18. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    The difference is now that a match can be won on the opponent's service, including when a fault is called.

Until now, being faulted on your service only meant the score was stuck, not losing the match immediately!! :rolleyes:

I think this is Mr Fault's point and I agree with him on this one.

19. sabathiel

sabathiel Regular Member

Lawyer
    I am still confused, when do you get to serve under the new rules? Is it like ping pong where each player gets to serve 5 times each? Or do you alternate serving one time each?

20. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    There have been many rules changes in table tennis over the last few years. The scoring system is now to 11 points from the old 21 points and each player serves only two times now instead of five. It has made table tennis more popular now.