Attack / defense

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Al, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Al

Al Guest

How do you know if you are good at attack or defense?
    I believe a player needs to play both attack and defense in every game, correct me if i am wrong. But why some people looking for a racquet for defense and some looking for a racquet for attack?

What if a person who is good at defense get to attack all the time, and a person who is good at attack have to defense all the time in a double game? since you couldn't control who get to hit the shuttle if your opponents hit it to your way.

Please advise. Thanks.

2. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    Yeap, you're right. Players must be good in both in attack and defence to qualify as a good player. They choose racket for attack or defence according to their playing style, because eventhough they are good in attack and defence, they must be somehow stronger in one part than the other.

It should be OK for a player good at defence to attack all the time, but not vice versa. If an offensive player is forced to defence, he might be in big trouble. Although you can't ultimately control what the game will be, but the best way to turn the defence into attack is by controlling the net. You must be very aggresive at the net, and instead of lifting the shuttle high back into the air when you are attacked, the best way is to drive your opponents. If you have a chance, watch Tony Gunawan's matches. He is the best player I have ever seen, especially in controlling the net. The most unforgottable match of him I have seen is during the 2001 World Championships.

3. Nanashi

Nanashi Regular Member

Student
    It depends if you are playing doubles or singles. In doubles, you generally want to maintain the offense, so choosing a racquet that gives you better offense kind of makes sense..

4. Dan

Dan Guest

I play doubles mostly. I have always used lighter racquets and to me, I was able to defend very well and quick at the net too. On the other hand, I find that my smashes are not as powerful. Now that I'm using the Yonex MP100, which is a heavier racquet, I find that my defense is not as fast. My concentration is mostly on the offence because in doubles, you seldom want to be on the defence position. I was able to achieve that and that is why my MP100 is very useful for my style of playing. Hope this helps you decide ;-)