User Tag List

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for the few and far between supporting this stupid change consider this:

We Don't Want Shorter Games!

GOT IT?

and why the F * * * would we? I Like that badminton is difficult .... after having to put up with years of people telling me badminton is a sissy sport ... dealing with that stereotype - This is the direction they want to move the sport in?....
    Last edited by wedgewenis; 12-19-2005 at 04:58 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coops241180
    thats not how it works tho according to the rules - you only swap sides if your serving and you score a point, thats what makes it soooo confusing..
    Agree, so confusing, especially halfway through the game. First, you have to remember where was your last stand then who was the last server and who scored the point, then from there you can tell where you should stand for the next, can't solely depend on score anymore. To me, especially after long rally, I don't even remember where was my last stand, so if in the old system, I just ask what is the score, then I know where I should stand, but unfortunately it's not the case for the new scoring.

So, still a question, how the umpire keep track who should stand where. There must be some formula or something?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tried out this new scoring system last weekend. The player I normally play against in singles is a very even match for me so most sets we play take 20-25mins to complete and would in about 30% of the cases go to 17pts.

With the new scoring the one major difference I noticed was how the opening part of the set has changed. In my matches normally the serve would change hands alot with neither of us gaining any advantage over each other and very little scoring. But with the new system we quickly hit 6-6 in about 2-3mins where as it would only had been about 1-1 in the old system. The first set only took about 10 mins to finish which I lost 16-21. I find with this new system I have to play within finer limits in my game. I have to think twice about taking the risky shot on my own serve as it will now cost me my serve and a point . I feel this will make for more defensive play in many competitions as players won't risk dropping points by being too aggressive when they have the serve.

The IBF may feel this will make the game more exciting to tv viewers but to me I feel it is a step in the wrong direction. many people in my country still see it as a game played in a garden in the summer months or as a "soft" game, they don't see as I do a game which demands the reactions of and F1 driver, the grace of a gymnast and the power of a boxer. The IBF would be better off promoting the game as a true test of a persons all round physical abilitlies that can be played and enjoyed no matter what the age or standard.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kanive
    Yes, it is pretty easy to tell *where* you serve from. How does one figure out *who* serves? That is to say, how does one tell, simply looking at the score halfway through the game, whether the person who started the game by serving at 0-0 should be in the right--half-court or the left--half-court?
    If your side was serving the last rally which you won, then it is the same player who will serve again but on different side of the court. If the opponents were having the last serve which ended in your side winning the rally point, then either you or your partner will serve. Your score will determine who, you or your partner, will serve. Odd number will mean whoever is on the odd side of the court will serve. Even number means serving from the right side. Unlike the old system, each player can be odd one moment and even another moment, simply based on which side of the court you are on. It is not as confusing as you think.
    Why not try it out first? You may even fine-tune it by playing 31 points if 21 points is too short. You will notice that being able to win a point from your opponent's serve stirs up your predatory instinct, like fighting on two fronts now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coops241180
    hmmm.. apparently Kenneth Jonassen has been on danish telly and openly criticised the new scoring system. He believes it allows no opportunity for big comebacks.
    I agree with KJ, my biggest beef with the new scoring is that there really isn't any opportunity for a comeback. If it's 15-20, you're dead.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would suggest you try out the new scoring system for at least 3 months. After that whatever opinions you form will probably carry more power than Katrina. Opinions in the heat of the moment are best kept in check.
    If you have driven a left-hand drive car all your life driving on the right side of the road, like in Americas, Europe (except UK), try driving a right-hand drive car drving on the left side of the road in Malaysia. The change will even be more difficult to handle. An American friend of mine died near Port Dickson from a road accident, due to problems in handling the change slowly. This happened a long time ago. The example of the two cars, which basically are mirror image of each other, shades some light on why we find it difficult to handle change. But change will ensure our survival.
    There is no such thing as a perfect scoring system in any sport, including badminton. This is troubling in view of some opinions here that seem to claim the old system as perfect. This argument is used to shoot down new ideas and new scoring systems that will promote the game, even before a trial period. What is more troubling is that there are almost no suggestions to fine-tune the proposed changes or at least other more thought-provoking ideas.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak
    I would suggest you try out the new scoring system for at least 3 months.
    Fair enough, Sir. Then I would suggest you try the new scoring system for at least 3 months as well before you become a proponent of it, making statements defending it and the IBF.

Agree?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    I agree with KJ, my biggest beef with the new scoring is that there really isn't any opportunity for a comeback. If it's 15-20, you're dead.
    I won't be surprised that players who lost would be more negative than players who won. It would be interesting to find out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't be surprised that players who lost would be more negative than players who won. It would be interesting to find out.
    For me, I look at it both ways, I like the idea I can comeback. I also like the idea if I'm ahead an opponent can fight back. It's more fun that way, for me.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    Fair enough, Sir. Then I would suggest you try the new scoring system for at least 3 months as well before you become a proponent of it, making statements defending it and the IBF.

Agree?
    Agree, but would like to clarify things here. I am not a bull-headed prpoponent of the new scoring system. I am a great defender of the right to innovate, to defend the right to have a trial/test period, and then through due process to decide. The decision should be taken and accepted in good faith by all. To say unprintable abuses and heap curese at people who cannot defend themselves is not what a gentleman would do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your side was serving the last rally which you won, then it is the same player who will serve again but on different side of the court. If the opponents were having the last serve which ended in your side winning the rally point, then either you or your partner will serve. Your score will determine who, you or your partner, will serve. Odd number will mean whoever is on the odd side of the court will serve. Even number means serving from the right side. Unlike the old system, each player can be odd one moment and even another moment, simply based on which side of the court you are on. It is not as confusing as you think.
    Sorry, that explanation doesn't cut the mustard. I understand that even is right-hand court and odd is left-hand court. But my question was, if you have forgotten where you are supposed to be, how can you figure it out based on the score? Remembering the entire history of the match till that point is not an option.

Why not try it out first? You may even fine-tune it by playing 31 points if 21 points is too short. You will notice that being able to win a point from your opponent's serve stirs up your predatory instinct, like fighting on two fronts now.
    Please, STOP asking people to try it out. I HAVE tried it out. I have tried ALL SORTS of formats. I have tried 3x9, 5x7, 3x7, 1x21, 2x15, 1x30, rally21, and even tennis (complete with deuces), and ping-pong (serves changing after 5) styles. I have even tried time limited games, with fixed duration, whoever is leading at the end wins (like in basketball). I have tried substitutions. I have tried volleyball-like serves from the baseline. I have tried more experiments than IBF can shake a stick at. I know whereof I speak when I say 3x15 is the best there is, and provides a platform for maximum variety in playing styles, physically lets you push the envelope of your abilities as far as you can take it, and promotes creativity.

While we are at it, bring back the setting-to-5 at 13-all!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is more troubling is that there are almost no suggestions to fine-tune the proposed changes or at least other more thought-provoking ideas.
    Seriously?

Not.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TV probably represents the best hope to promote the game of badminton. With wide TV coverage, others like more sponsorships and bigger and bigger prize monies will follow. Identifying the major players is the easy part. Now how the hell are you you going to increase TV coverage on badminton, bring in more sponsors and increase prize monies to those of tennis? Lets say all of you BC Forum members collectively become Chairman of the IBF for a term, how would you go about it? Maybe this "bottom-up" management style will throw up some rare gems? Don't worry about hate emails.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Then how do explain away the fact that the Chinese head coach has come out against the new system?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't worry about the new system being forced through. If it is acceptable to the majority of the more than 150 country delegate votes then it goes through. If not, it then shares the same fate as the 5x7 scoring system that was tried out before. BTW it was the powerful ABC, comprising of the badminton associations of China, South Korea, Malaysia, and Indonesia that killed the old 5x7 system. But by the same token that the ABC recommendated that the 3x15 system be reinstated in rejecting the 5x7 system, it said that the reinstatement would be for the time being until a more acceptable system is introduced.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CWB001
    Then how do explain away the fact that the Chinese head coach has come out against the new system?
    The Chinese XD champions seem to like the new system very much. They even commented that the system was ideally suited for them. Wonder what they would say if they had lost? Lin Dan doesn't seem to mind. All these feedback plus more to come in the next few months will be decisive. It is too early to tell. Also there were only 5 eventual winners and many more losers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Chinese XD champions seem to like the new system very much. They even commented that the system was ideally suited for them. Wonder what they would say if they had lost? Lin Dan doesn't seem to mind. All these feedback plus more to come in the next few months will be decisive. It is too early to tell. Also there were only 5 eventual winners and many more losers.
    Lin said he didn't like the new scoring system. Taufik didn't like the new system. LYB didn't like the new system. Most of my baddy friend don't like the new system.

What are you tryign to say about more loser than winners? Loser or winner we don't care, they are all professional players and everyone has to be listened.

If you think this way, who else is more of a winner than LYB in this tournament? However, he still says he prefers old scoring system.

I will give this system a try for another 3 months (like you suggested), if I still don't like it, I hope this it die like 5x7.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast