User Tag List

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

someone brought up that we should get more sponsors. well singapore did that remember its the AVIVA singapore open. yeps. thats a lil headway there. unfortunately this doesnt seem to be happening anywhere else.

personally i dont wish to condemn the system right away. i might try to accept it and possibly play to such a system to try it out in the near future. there might just be the problem of getting my playmates to also agree to play to such a system though

but i dont like the explanation given by this punch guy. changes so that it would be more tv friendly? so that players dont get injured so often? what a dumb comment to make

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Agree with Wirre, It's not what is shown, it's how it's shown.

Punch wants to take the one step back and two steps forward approach (we been there with score changing before), but we are thinking is it necessary?

Here's an idea; IBF should utilise badminton's fanbase, they should organise a competition to create a short promotional film about badminton, because they lack (a) creativity and (b) money. One for each country/region. Fans can show the sports true characteristics, plus it's cheap too.

Winners get a day training with the pros, and get their film made and broadcasted. Local sponsors can sponsor each country...

Someone give me a job at IBF

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am ready and willing to sign any petition against this madness, as I said many times before it is not about making changes to the game to make it interesting. It is about the IBF getting of its backside and marketing the game better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by terror
    someone brought up that we should get more sponsors. well singapore did that remember its the AVIVA singapore open. yeps. thats a lil headway there. unfortunately this doesnt seem to be happening anywhere else.

personally i dont wish to condemn the system right away. i might try to accept it and possibly play to such a system to try it out in the near future. there might just be the problem of getting my playmates to also agree to play to such a system though

but i dont like the explanation given by this punch guy. changes so that it would be more tv friendly? so that players dont get injured so often? what a dumb comment to make
    Thank you for not dismissing IBF's attempts right away. Maybe Punch likes to deliver his blows with a sharp and powerful 'punch' to generate greater interest and publicity but I'm sure his intentions are good and he wants to do his utmost for the game.

Now that you mentioned AVIVA, which is a new multi-dollar sponsor to Singapore badminton, even surpassing Yonex to become the lead sponsor, I can't help but think of how the UK could miss the opportunity of getting this giant British insurance company to sponsor the prestigious AE, which is only a 4* event, despite its colourful and illustrious history.

As Punch Gunalan has said, the move of the IBF Headquarters from UK to KL this December has a lot to do with Asia being able to attract more and bigger sponsors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wizbit
    Agree with Wirre, It's not what is shown, it's how it's shown.

Here's an idea; IBF should utilise badminton's fanbase, they should organise a competition to create a short promotional film about badminton, because they lack (a) creativity and (b) money. One for each country/region. Fans can show the sports true characteristics, plus it's cheap too.

If my memory serves me right, years ago, I have seen a promotional tape on badminton made by the IBF. Of course, IBF has other promotional and training items as well.

On the subject of change, IBF might have failed in the 5x7 point system, but it does not necessarily mean that IBF will fail again with the new 21-point scoring system. not unless it has been put to the test and the results are negative. Furthermore, circumstances may have changed and even a failure in the past may prove to be reverse under the present situation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate the rally system I don't mind if they raise the endscore from 15 till 21, but keep the service system, not the lfasldjkfasldf rally system :/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post IBF affiliates told to try out new formats to shorten playing time

TheStar Sept 20' 05

KUALA LUMPUR: The International Badminton Federation (IBF) have asked all their affiliates to try out a “rally point scoring system” in their home tournaments.

Rules on two scoring formats – 21-point best-of-three games and 11-point best-of-five games – were sent out to the 156 members yesterday.

And a decision on whether to use one of them as the official scoring format from January next year will be made during the IBF council meeting scheduled for Dec 7-9.

The IBF deputy president, Datuk Punch Gunalan, said that they wanted to get feedback from their members on the new scoring formats.

“We have set the rules for the two ‘rally point scoring systems’ and want our members to try them out in their local tournaments,” said Gunalan. “Under these formats, a point is awarded for a rally won and whoever scores the point holds service. There have been more positive responses to the 21-point format.”

He said that one of the objectives of the format was to shorten the duration of matches.

“In the traditional system, a match can last from between 15 minutes and two-and-a-half hours. Our experiments have shown that matches played with the new scoring format take about 35 minutes.

“It is our aim to be television friendly. We do not want to be called an old-fashioned sport. We are also very concerned over the injuries to players now that the game has become very demanding.”

Under the 21-point format, a match will go to deuce at 20-20. The side getting two consecutive points wins the game. If the game is tied at 29-all, the side scoring the 30th point wins the game.

A similar concept is used in the 11-point format and deuce will be at 10-10 and the maximum point is 15.

For the doubles, the winner of a rally holds service but there will be no second server.

The five-minute break between games has been reduced to two. And in the rubber game, a one-minute break is given at the change of courts at 11 and six points for the 21-point and 11-point game respectively.

“We anticipate that these scoring formats will make badminton more exciting,” said Gunalan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile So...

So does anyone have the actual rules yet? I seem to have a hard time finding them on the net.

I've read view points of how it's meant to work, will work and the total opposite points. So I thought I've read enough and it's time to try it darn thing out.

So if anyone does have the rules can you please post it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Try Badminton LIGHT!

So I can see the new marketing for badminton now:

Try the new BADMINTON LIGHT !! Now 30% less action, 30% less calories and scoring !!! New PING PONG scoring!!! everyone can finally understand Badminton Light now !! Watch it on TV today !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by socko
    So does anyone have the actual rules yet? I seem to have a hard time finding them on the net.
    I haven't seen anything official and when I mentioned this at the local club, people were like "Whatever" saying unless it's official-official and they make universal changes in all tournaments, they were going to stay with the current rules.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rally system is confusing in doubles' play. When the first server failes to score, the second server serves in the same court where the first server served. When we tried it, we spend more time arguing where to serve. Whew!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by socko

I've read view points of how it's meant to work, will work and the total opposite points. So I thought I've read enough and it's time to try it darn thing out.

So if anyone does have the rules can you please post it up.
    You might have missed Ants posting just before yours. This relates to the proposed new scoring systems to be tested by IBF members and reported back to IBF by early December whereby a final decision will be made during its Council meeting from Dec 7-9. Implementation, if any, will be in Jan 2006.

As I understand from that post, two scoring systems are encouraged to be tried out for both singles and doubles. No mention of any difference for men and women, therefore I take it that they apply to both genders.

(A) 21 points (best of 3 games) (System 21) and
    (B) 11 points (best of 5 games) (System 11).

Deuce:

(A) At 20-20 points, max 29-29 with final winning point at 30.
    (B) At 10-10 points, max 14-14 with final winning point at 15.

Doubles - No second server (This makes it very clear now as there will not be any confusion on who will serve second at what point.)

Time Breaks

1. Between Games - 2 minutes
    2. Changing Courts after each game and for the deciding game, at (A) 11 points for System 21 and (B) 6 points for System 11 - 1 minute

I guess this will make it easier for TV commercials to be broadcast. Coaches are more definite on the time allowed for discussion with players and for players to replenish liquids, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i do not like the new system. I prefer old system!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh
    You might have missed Ants posting just before yours. This relates to the proposed new scoring systems to be tested by IBF members and reported back to IBF by early December whereby a final decision will be made during its Council meeting from Dec 7-9. Implementation, if any, will be in Jan 2006.

As I understand from that post, two scoring systems are encouraged to be tried out for both singles and doubles. No mention of any difference for men and women, therefore I take it that they apply to both genders.

(A) 21 points (best of 3 games) (System 21) and
    (B) 11 points (best of 5 games) (System 11).

Deuce:

(A) At 20-20 points, max 29-29 with final winning point at 30.
    (B) At 10-10 points, max 14-14 with final winning point at 15.

Doubles - No second server (This makes it very clear now as there will not be any confusion on who will serve second at what point.)

Time Breaks

1. Between Games - 2 minutes
    2. Changing Courts after each game and for the deciding game, at (A) 11 points for System 21 and (B) 6 points for System 11 - 1 minute

I guess this will make it easier for TV commercials to be broadcast. Coaches are more definite on the time allowed for discussion with players and for players to replenish liquids, etc.
    Ooo thanks dude, I'm going to try this out when I get to the club this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so,

i thought they want more breaks for tv commercial

so why shorten the breaks times?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by It'sMeMeMe
    so,

i thought they want more breaks for tv commercial

so why shorten the breaks times?
    I suppose apart from the official breaks, time is also available between matches (not games) to slot in any commercials. As being tested, it was found out that the proposed System 21 should generally be of a shorter duration (average 35 min) than the existing one of 15 points (System 15), therefore it is expected that there will be a savings in time for the commercials. Better planning can ensue to bring in the advertising dollars for IBF.

BTW, when there is a deuce, two consecutive points will win the match instead of stretching to either 30 or 15 points.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems to me that the players themselves are getting kinda a bum deal out of this.
    Its all very well being all nice and short and full of ads for the television, but what about people who are playing the game. They have to now play a game thats too back and forward. Wheres the skill involved now?
    The people who come up with these rules are pathetic, we are not amused

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast