User Tag List

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems that most of BFer's don't agree with the changing of score system.
    I think we may not judge that this new system is bad before we try it.

When IBF changed the system to 5 x 7 points. There were was also many comments and many countries agains it. But IBF had done it. After that IBF set the score system back 3 x 15 point, because 5 x 7 points didn't work.

Also this time IBF (especially Punch) tries to change the score system in the name of 'TV friendly', 'More attractive', 'For the populairity of Badminton', and so on and so on....

We should therefore wait and see whether this system will work to fulfil the IBF's needed.

My opinion is :
    If IBF want to make 'TV friendly', 'Badminton attractive'. First thing has to be done is : let the lady wear a sexy outfit like tennis. So.... we -badminton fun- get Xie Xing Fangova, Zhang Ningova, Mia Audinanova, Tracey Hallamova, Kaori Morinova, and the others .....nova's.

Most of you guys will start a petition. How ? It is difficult.
    My suggestion is : publish an e-mail address from Mr. P. Gunalan. Every one of you can send an email to him as a protest. If 10% of BF members send an email, it means total +/- 1000 mails will flow to his mailbox. And... you know what it means
    Last edited by jkusmanto; 09-21-2005 at 03:53 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think what they have to do first before changing allll the rules is to put some advertisments in stores, magazines, tv, radio etc. Then when people find out that its not some sissy backyard game, and they start getting into it then they should start thinking of this. This idea is 50/50 chance. If it works then great! But if not, it coould ruin badminton because if people watching it on TV arent completely satisfied, then they most likely wont give it a second chance. It has to work the first time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jkusmanto
    We should therefore wait and see whether this system will work to fulfil the IBF's needed.
    This is what i really dislike.. As when moving to 5x7 I think IBF is chasing windmills, and the worst thing is that this side-tracks waste time, effort, energy that could be put to better use to do REAL things that would actually help to grow badminton popularity and media coverage...

As i see it IBF is looking for "easy" fixes (something that could be decided in a meeting room and put into a document, that magically makes wonders for the sport...), as opposed to something that would require them to do actual "work" :-)

Of course, there is no rule changes that could act like "silver-bullets" in making a sport popular.. If IBF can't see that, I think they should resign immideately!!!

If they want to mess with the scoring system.. Why not start just in one area? For example US, and if they can grow the sports popularity there and media coverage by changing the scoring (fat chance, I am afraid :-( ), then they could go from there and start using it in other countries, once proven success..

Changing the scoring systems in countries where badminton is already popular, even runs the risk of confusing more, and making the sport less popular and attractive for media!! So I think IBF should be really carefull not to do to many not-so-well-thought-of changes to an already great sport!!!

my 2 cents,
    Twobeer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

twobeer, very good post. I agree with everything.

My post here general has north america in mind where badminton is not popular and I believe thats IBF's main goal at this time is to make it more popular in north america and perhaps Europe. I cant imagine any of the changes were desingned for the asian market since badminton is extremely well known and popular.

The main question for this topic I have is did IBF only listened to a few TV stations that probably have no idea about badminton? So when they provided coverage they only could think about that the game is too long and there is too little commercial spots for sponsors? Did IBF simply say well ok we will make it shorter ? Did IBF think about all the TV stations that have never covered badminton which is probably 99% of the TV stations? My next question Is: IS IBF looking to expand the market or trying to please the few T executives who probably know nothing about badminton? Obviously, I think we can all agree expanding the market is infinitely more important and changing the scoring and making the game shorter is probably NOT going to increase interest in badminton. Let me put it simply, there are TV programs and sports or games that could literally double in the length in time and people will still watch it on TV ( example : Olympics ). There are games and programs that can be cut in half the time and people still wouldnt watch it on TV ( use your imagination) . The key word is INTEREST. If there is interest then the program can be as long as possible while if there is no interest then the program could be 1 min and still much too long. Anyways, IBF needs to generate interest in badminton. For example, buy commercials for badminton for TV !! NOT just trying to expect free coverage and trying to change the game of badminton. That is my guess but it's probably whats happening. Anyways, changing the scoring and cutting the game short may have its benefits but its NOT designed to raise INTEREST. It will not change the image of badminton and it will not bring people to watch it on TV and I can guarantee you that TV Stations knows that.

Finally, Lets keep in mind that everything we see on TV is pretty much based on ratings unless its NEWS or Commercials. For a sport with no history of ratings like badminton, marketing survey must be done before TV stations will even consider it. In another word, the program has to have enough % audience that will watch it and must have enough sponsors that will buy the open slots for airing commercials. So for any TV execs to say that badminton needs to be shorter and whatever is pretty much BS there is no audience for it so there is no need to make it shorter. Now, The only reason badminton in USA got "some" coverage is that Americans won and made history. That is "interesting" ! NOT that badminton might have a rule change. The last time badminton had a rule change only the badminton world knew about it. Ask anyone who doesnt know anything about badminton if they heard about the rule change. Once again, after this rule change, ask people if they know about it and ask them if they care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New scoring format

KUALA LUMPUR: Next year's Thomas-Uber Cup Finals in Japan will use a 21-point rally scoring format. Hong Kong celebrity Sally Yeh is now the world badminton's ambassador. And India will host the World Championships for the first time.

These were among some interesting decisions made during the International Badminton Federation (IBF) council meeting at the Istana Hotel here yesterday.

In an effort to popularise the sport and be television-friendly, the council decided that the new 21-point best-of-three games will be experimented with from Feb 1 in all IBF tournaments that offers world ranking points.

After the Thomas-Uber Cup Finals in Japan from April 28-May 7, the council will decide if the scoring format is successful and should be adopted for all their tournaments, including the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing.

IBF event committee chairman Paisan Rangsikitpho said: “We have decided to try the rally point scoring system from Feb 1 for both the men and the women. This is in line with our efforts to improve the presentation of the game.

“A final decision will be made on whether to use scoring format on a permanent basis at the next council meeting in Japan.”

“Under these formats, a point is awarded for a rally won and whoever scores the point holds service. For the doubles, the winner of a rally holds service but there will be no second server.

“There will be only breaks at the 11th point for all the events. Apart from that break, players will have to stay inside the court whenever play is stopped. Time will not be wasted and duration of a match can be shortened,” he said.

In an effort to bring in the crowd, the IBF have also decided to inject entertainment into the sport.

Sally has been named the new IBF ambassador.

“We also want our sport to entertain the crowd. Sally will be the right person to promote this game. She is loved by the public and has a great following,” said council member Eraj Wijesinghe.

Meanwhile, India have been named as the host for the 2009 World Championships, the first time the country will host the meet.

Spain is hosting the world meet next year while Malaysia will host it in 2007. Jakarta will host the 2008 Thomas-Uber Cup Final while the Sudirman Cup will be held in Guangzhou.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Abit late right? i've posted this already

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ants
    Abit late right? i've posted this already
    sorry.........
    i just make sure anyone know the news. What do you think about the news?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol..anyways...never tried this new scoring format b4..i shud try some times...i'm sure some on this forum have tried b4...can anyone comment on this new format?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isnt this making it more like tennis? Where it doesnt matter who serves either side can get points?

Next thing you know they'll be allowing the "ball" to bounce once like tennis too >.>

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by terry
    sorry.........
    i just make sure anyone know the news. What do you think about the news?
    It stinks. I tried it a few times already playing doubles and within 5 minutes, everyone forgets the score.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMHO I don't really like the new scoring system . How can a different scoring system popularize the sport. It might ease the comprehension of the game but does this change the person's interest in the game?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down

We've tried it several times, even before it was officially proposed. It stinks. Turns it into a percentage game, with no incentive to take risks or go the extra step. One of the biggest advantages of the 3x15 system is that it allows for stirring comebacks -- you can be down 0-14 and facing matchpoint, but you can still fight back and win. No longer. I mean, theoretically it is still possible, but in practice that facet has been completely eliminated. For all practical purposes, a lead of 5 by mid-game is crushing. Another thing -- it's been a mantra for decades, "you can't score points if you can't serve" -- that is a BIG part of what badminton is about, and the rally scoring kills it.

Also, the games go by far too fast. You barely break a sweat and game is over. Admittedly, it is better than 5x7, but should never be considered a replacement for 3x15. This is really bad for slow starters. And keeping score in doubles is a nightmare.

Why does IBF keep doing this kind of silly stuff? They kill careers by changing things so drastically. (Gopichand, for example.)

Did I mention this stinks? THIS IS NOT HOW TO POPULARIZE THE GAME! (sorry for shouting, but it really stinks.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed this "experiment" has to be one of the stupidest ideas in IBF:s history!!!

And I was planning to attend Thomas Cup in Japan this year.. With these badminton-rules I'll definitvely cancel the flight/tickets for the event!! I want to watch "real" badminton not this uninteresting scoring!!!

/Twobeer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kanive
    We've tried it several times, even before it was officially proposed. It stinks. Turns it into a percentage game, with no incentive to take risks or go the extra step.
    Agree wholeheartedly. When we tried the new scoring system, everyone was so cautious not to hit the shuttle out. The game was a bunch of boring clears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kanive
    We've tried it several times, even before it was officially proposed. It stinks. Turns it into a percentage game, with no incentive to take risks or go the extra step. One of the biggest advantages of the 3x15 system is that it allows for stirring comebacks -- you can be down 0-14 and facing matchpoint, but you can still fight back and win. No longer. I mean, theoretically it is still possible, but in practice that facet has been completely eliminated. For all practical purposes, a lead of 5 by mid-game is crushing. Another thing -- it's been a mantra for decades, "you can't score points if you can't serve" -- that is a BIG part of what badminton is about, and the rally scoring kills it.

Also, the games go by far too fast. You barely break a sweat and game is over. Admittedly, it is better than 5x7, but should never be considered a replacement for 3x15. This is really bad for slow starters. And keeping score in doubles is a nightmare.

Why does IBF keep doing this kind of silly stuff? They kill careers by changing things so drastically. (Gopichand, for example.)

Did I mention this stinks? THIS IS NOT HOW TO POPULARIZE THE GAME! (sorry for shouting, but it really stinks.)

Wholeheartedly agreed with you. IBF is not thinking of us badminton fans. They are only thinking of TELEVISION. I am going to refuse to watch any telecast with rally point system. No loss there, damned boring!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think we should let them try it out, i hope that no sport would be dumb enough to change the rules without taking into account the affect it might have on the popularity of the sport in general.

if it works and badminton is televised more universally and becomes even half as lucrative as tennis then i will be pleased for the sport, because if it's interesting to watch, then it's got to be interesting to play.

give it a chance i say! don't be afraid of change - if it really sucks, then they'll put it back..

Coops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coops241180
    i think we should let them try it out, i hope that no sport would be dumb enough to change the rules without taking into account the affect it might have on the popularity of the sport in general.

if it works and badminton is televised more universally and becomes even half as lucrative as tennis then i will be pleased for the sport, because if it's interesting to watch, then it's got to be interesting to play.

give it a chance i say! don't be afraid of change - if it really sucks, then they'll put it back..

Coops
    don't see the logic there.. Why not change to bigger racket, bouncing balls and bigger court.. and also change the name to Tennis, just to get more money and TV-air time

The whole reason for IBF to mess with these rules is to make games shorter. (which they THINK would be better for Television).. If they had half the brain they would understand that this is NOT the root problem, and that indeed tennis matches for example many times are much longer!!

To popularize badminton, one has to analyze WHAT makes a game popular.. What makes Tennis popular? Is it the simple to understand scoring? Is it the size of the court? is it the line-markings?

If you think deep enough you'll probably reach the conslusion that the poplarity and Telvision covery of the sport will not change dramatically by moving from service scoring to rally scoring.. redrawing court lines, rule changes etc etc..

These are just "diversions" from the real issue, and by wasting energy on this energy that could be put into greater use for the sport is lost

/twobeer
    Last edited by twobeer; 12-12-2005 at 08:01 AM.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast