User Tag List

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2NDround
    You seriously think the rule change will work? It may be cheap, but surely no advantage there. All I know is that if you pay peanuts you will going to get monkeys!
    i never said it would work - i said give it a chance...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by coops241180
    i'm sure the IBF appreciate suggestions from everybody..

some people would say by not making changes they are doing the sport harm already.

Your right, they screwed up changing the scoring last time.. and personally i think they have learnt their lesson and investigated this new change more thoroughly.

but having alternative scoring systems for different competitions is messy, and could lead to the sport becoming divided into different camps. This would also harm the sport.
    The IBF haven't just said - this is the scoring system like it or lump it. they are trialling it till after the TC and UC. so they're not trialling it for long, but they are trialling it over a number of different tournaments at different levels. Let us see how it pan's out i say.. if it doesn't work, then we'll just return to the original - experiment over, no harm done..

Coops
    But I am puzzled how they intend to "eavluate" the trial..
    What factors metrics will they use to measure success??? Will they poll TV-station managers? The players??? Us?? The attending public (I certainly will not attend TC/UC now when the messed up the scoring)...

Will they just see if players protest to much, and if not implement it???

To be honest I don't trust IBF have thought this trough...

/Twobeer
    Last edited by twobeer; 12-13-2005 at 10:02 AM.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Double_Player
    since we have all these discussions revolving around IBF, new scoring system, popularity, etc etc. Does BF/BC has any influence in IBF? Any of the members work for IBF/have "a say" in the decision making?

IF we sign a petition/online petition to IBF to keep badminton just as it is right now, will it work? will they even consider it? I'm pretty sure some one could organize an online petition or even a real one to keep badminton as it is.
    our own BC/BF member GGsally is an ambassador for the IBF. It's safe to guess that she's been reading some posts here and there in her spare time.

Hopefully she's read this one!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twobeer
    I certainly will not attend TC/UC now when the messed up the scoring
    have you seen this new scoring system in action at the highest level to know that it doesn't work?

to refuse to watch without giving it a try is equivalent to a child not eating food because it's different to what they normally eat...

while some of us don't trust the IBF, simply refusing to try out their suggestions which i'm sure are well thought out given past lessons that have been learnt is simply childish..

Coops

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have you seen this new scoring system in action at the highest level to know that it doesn't work?

Coops
    Look at it this way. We know for certain that the matches will now be shorter -- that is the stated purpose behind the change, after all -- and we know from experience that the rallies will be more timid, and we strongly suspect the games will become vanilla. Less bang for the buck. What's in it for your normal badminton fan?

Just to be clear, I am not advocating that people boycott these tournaments. (Even with all these problems, badminton is still badminton, and Taufik is still the most talented player on the planet.) Just pointing out that people may have perfectly valid reasons to reevaluate where to spend their money.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We've been testing out the new scoring system for a while now. The singles doesn't seem that bad, though we've found that high serves have gone by the wayside and that you take less risks.

The new format really favours counter punchers and defensive minded players.

The doubles was a total fisasco. I sitll haven't quite figured out how they plan to make any sense out of serving. The more I read, the more confused I get. I can telly ou form the few times we've tried it, we always lose track of the score.

I went on a rant on another board how Punch and his troops can go about makign this game better. It has little to do with scoring and everything to do with marketing and visual presentation.

First off, develop a three nagle camera system along the lines of tennis/squash that can show the action - this will likley mean venues that are built purposed for camera rigs.

Second - focus on the product - make it more attactive. Dicth the whole collared shirt thing - let the players play in whatever zany colors and get ups they want.

Get good commentators - goes without explanation.

Focus on maketing the players - hype up rivalries, if you have to, create a couple "bad boys/girls" of badminton. Think of all the characters in tennis, we need that in Badminton.

have on court radar guns to show just how fast the bird goes. Be spectator friendly. Sell it to the average person.

Sense a trend here?

Quite tinkering and develop a long term marketing plan to work from etsbalished markets and branch out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course it "works" just as 5 set to 7 did.. yes. .You can have games shorter by playing only 1 set to 15.. Its Not "rocket science" to make the game shorter.. But Its not like I have to watch a pro play it before figuring out if the scoring is sound or stupid.. I didn't like the idea behind 5x7 either beacuse of it making the game so much shorter. If you propose to change the scoring to first and only point gets the win (1 set to 1 point) I will not like it regardless if they "trial" it.. No I won't "give it a chance"

to refuse to watch without giving it a try is equivalent to a child not eating food because it's different to what they normally eat...
    Who said anything about refusing to watch.. I just don't wanna pay for sub-quality food... If the tomato looks rotten i don't "try" to eat it

while some of us don't trust the IBF, simply refusing to try out their suggestions which i'm sure are well thought out given past lessons that have been learnt is simply childish..

Coops
    I think it's an adult respons to a) vote with yor feet b) explain why you think something isn't a good idea and c) help analayze the problem and its root cause d) help suggest more effective solutions to the problem. I think IBF is being childish just wasting time and effort to "fight Windmills"...

The only arguments for the new scoring I have heard put forward is
    1) It is simpler to understand for people not familiar with the sport.
    2) It makes games shorter and more TV-friendly (more action, less time).
    3) It would force players to be more focused.

I think the first point is irrelevent as there isn't a problem to explain the current scoring very quickly (= not diffucult today so I cannot see this as a problem at all).

And I think that there could be more effective ways to accomodate TV's need for commercial breaks etc. without shortening the game and changing the scoring. It's not like a game of soccer, fotball, Tennis, Boxin etc etc is any shorter than a game of badminton...So I think the problem description is flawed, when they describe TV-coverage problem as being caused by too long games.

And I think argument 3) is ridicilous.. As if Lin Dan and Taufik Where not "focused" with current scoring in WC05 or Olympics etc :P, yeah right...

If IBF doesn't have any valid arguments for the trial.. Why support it??

/Twobeer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ViningWolff
    The doubles was a total fisasco. I sitll haven't quite figured out how they plan to make any sense out of serving. The more I read, the more confused I get. I can telly ou form the few times we've tried it, we always lose track of the score.
    The latest article on WorldBadminton.net explains how the 3x21 rally scoring system works in doubles play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quasimodo
    The latest article on WorldBadminton.net explains how the 3x21 rally scoring system works in doubles play.
    Yes they need about a full page to explain the simplified scoring OMG

/Twobeer

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Quasimodo
    Holy crap

That's one confusing simplified scoring system.

Hope I never have to teach it

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    Holy crap

That's one confusing simplified scoring system.

Hope I never have to teach it
    I heard through the grapevine CalTech is introducing a new class, Badminton 901 for Badminton 101 scoring.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMHO, the really confusing bit is figuring out where to stand. The where-to-serve-from is easy. But, adding the movement of the players into the mix can create confusion, especially to those of us with absolutely no short-term memory. (Just kidding there. No offence intended to those who really suffer from a short-term memory loss.)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

okay - this definitely swings it - the doubles system is ludicrous.. even without playing it.. every game would need an umpire just to ensure people stood in the right places... while i can understand it, it makes a mockery of what i thought the main reason for moving to rally serves was, and that was to simplify the scoring system for the general public...

GROAN , it seems my faith is misplaced and i shall have to sit and watch and laugh at the poor pro's trying to make sense of whats going on..

but in a nutshell it's basically singles serving rules for doubles.. you only get one serve instead of two, you only swap sides if your serving and you win a rally, (which in the end means that if you get sort of lost in the middle of the game it becomes harder to figure out what the score is), and the person in the 'service' court (being the same as singles currently) gets the serve when you win the serve.

pretty convoluted if you ask me...

Last edited by coops241180; 12-13-2005 at 04:24 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pretty convoluted if you ask me...

Agree about the convoluted scoring.

The only thing I do like about the new rules is the serving, singles style. This makes it a bit easier to serve as the server has more leverage with the flick and deep serve.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think they can make it quite a bit simpler if everybody stand where they are and always serve from the same place. For instance, A stands on the odd side, B on the even side. Whenever the score is even (and they have the serve, of course), B serves. If they win that rally (i.e., the score is now odd), A then serves.

Then again, this sort of kills the doubles game because everybody always face the same person when serving and receiving.

I'm sure the pros will have a lot of practice before this system goes into effect. So, they won't look silly on the court lining up on the wrong spot and things.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    The only thing I do like about the new rules is the serving, singles style. This makes it a bit easier to serve as the server has more leverage with the flick and deep serve.
    No, no, you only get one serve, but you still have to serve the same way. The description says "Back service line remains and the current rule applies."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kanive
    No, no, you only get one serve, but you still have to serve the same way. The description says "Back service line remains and the current rule applies."
    Doh! I'm all confused. But that's OK, that's nothing new.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast