User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    One thing is for sure, keeping score in doubles will definitely be much more difficult.
    not a difficult as you think, i have umpired this format and after a few points, its quite simple. I think it does make the game faster....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by serviceover
    not a difficult as you think, i have umpired this format and after a few points, its quite simple. I think it does make the game faster....
    It's more difficult than the current 15 point system but as you said, it's not that, that difficult once you play it a few times. Still, the new point system is something I will not use and oppose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to be honest, the new format ruins the spirit of badminton. I have seen to conservative gentlemen doing clears about 80% of the time, each serve high. What a boring game!

so it doesnt necessarily prolong the duration of the game....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we should give the new system a chance, its still only being tested and not yet law. If it proves itself, it will be adopted, whether we want it or not. If it doesnt, it wont.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think we should give the new system a chance, its still only being tested and not yet law. If it proves itself, it will be adopted, whether we want it or not. If it doesnt, it wont.
    This is if we were in a perfect world!
    Though in a perfect world we wouldn't spend our time spoiling the pro circuit by testing silly scoring systems all the time...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is anything in this world perfect?

If anything, i thought the 5 x 7/9 serve point system better, pity it wasnt adopted.
    Last edited by serviceover; 01-24-2006 at 02:44 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I mean is that the decision will be political, and NOT linked to the result of the test.

The only hope is that fans and national organizations will put so much pressure on IBF that they will politically need to change their mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And knowing that european nations will go against this scoring system, our hope is that one or several of the major asian nations will go against it.

We need to count on all asian fans from BF to put pressure on their national badminton organization!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

if someone can write a good article on why the 21pt system is bad, i will be happy to publish it on BC.

it may be a long article though...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We would need to put together all the arguments that have been given for and against it.

against it : so that we can detail them

for it : so that we can show why they are wrong!

I would be interested in doing it, but I won't have the time for the moment... (yes this might be a very long article )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why not wait until after TUC next month. Then get some reaction from the players.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why not wait until after TUC next month. Then get some reaction from the players.....
    The article will be long to write, we can start gathering arguments now... and finish it after TUC!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seven
    The article will be long to write, we can start gathering arguments now... and finish it after TUC!
    if we can identify the main points now, we can divide up the article into multiple sections and write/publish them individually. that way, it will be more tractable and easier to manage/write.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excerpts from reports dated Jan 24, 2006:

by Cubby Leong of Singapore's "Today":

Speaking to Today last September, IBF deputy president Punch Gunalan claimed he was in favour of a 21-point system as he wanted the sport to be more television friendly. When contacted yesterday, Gunalan said the 21-point system is not a shoo-in. It will be tested out in various tournaments over the next four months, including at the Commonwealth Games (March 15-26). It is in the experimental phase and everyone is keen to see how it pans out. IBF will meet in Tokyo in May to deliberate over what they've seen over the 4 months. The final decision will be made solely with the idea of bringing the game forward.

SBA technical director Zheng Qingjin is currently working with his (Singapore) players to get everyone adjusted to the new scoring format. He said the IBF came up with the decision purely for commercial reasons and he is very supportive of the move. He thinks it's a possible way to reinvent the game.

Zheng further commented that fitness will no longer he held in as high regard as before because match time has shrunk. Speed and mental strength will also take on a new meaning because everything happens so quickly. And the serve is more important than ever before because if you foul, you immediately lose a point.

Kendrick Lee, 21, Singapore's current No.1 player says he personally thinks his game is more suited to the 15-point system. There are good and bad points to the 21-point system. Everything will happen so quickly, advantages will be lost in a flash and points will be won in a flash.

by Rajes Paul of Malaysia's "The Star":

Chief coach Yap Kim Hock told his players to look ahead to the new challenges under the new scoring format. Now, the focus should be on adapting to the new system. There will be changes to our training programmes to adapt to the change. The pace of the game will be faster. The players must be psychologically stronger to excel under this new format which would put everyone (every country including China) on en equal footing. For a start, it will be a more open game.
    Last edited by Loh; 01-24-2006 at 04:13 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Loh, with this article plus Punch Gunalan's response to jump_smash we can recuperate some of the arguments given in favour of the new scoring. (though they are easy to demolish )

And I'm sure taneepak has already given loads too...

I'll try reorganizing them later.

On the other side, the arguments against the rally scoring are easy to find, but we'll need to organize them too...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will be at the TUC, and will try and get some reactions from players, coaches and umpires. .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seven
    Thanks Loh, with this article plus Punch Gunalan's response to jump_smash we can recuperate some of the arguments given in favour of the new scoring. (though they are easy to demolish )

And I'm sure taneepak has already given loads too...

I'll try reorganizing them later.

On the other side, the arguments against the rally scoring are easy to find, but we'll need to organize them too...
    Hope you'll give the experiment reasonable time so that coaches and officials concerned will be able to comment on it after a fair trial.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast