Speed Reading?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Eurasian =--(O), Dec 10, 2005.

1. Eurasian =--(O)

Eurasian =--(O) Regular Member

Has anyone taken a speed reading course that increase your rate of reading and the amount you comprehend and remember while reading? I'm thinking of taking one of these courses to help cope with all the reading associated with school... all the boring reading... it gets hard to read all the material sometimes when its so dry. It doesn't paint any mental pictures at all, just lists facts or, even worse, mentions facts in a sentence where emphasis is placed elsewhere.

I was pretty good at reading comprehension in highschool but the readings were more like adventure / descriptive. Nothing like reading about the demographic transition theory, or spatial diffusion... so now i'm finding it hard to read the stuff and make it stick in my mind b/c it always wonders when its (my mind) bored.

2. fastattack

fastattack Regular Member

student player
    I have taken a speed reading course in the past. At first, the method will seem pointless, but in the future you will realize that it really does help, which I have found since Reading is now one of my best subjects. I'm in highschool right now, and we are reading about transcendentalism, which is relatively boring, but I comprehend nonetheless. :)

3. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    The problem you're facing is because you're trying to learn passively. Dry subject matters forces you to interact with the subject by doodling in the margins, charting diagrams, making notes, re-reading and threading all the pertinents info together.

Reading faster isn't the solution. Learning to learn is.

-dave

4. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    That's a very good point, Dave! Active learning isn't easy as I am re-discovering it right now. It takes an enormous amount of concentration and thinking at the same time.

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Euroasian, I am not sure if you are majoring in Economics. Economics requires lots of brain activity :) . You have to think from many variables.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i thot playing MD will take care of that :D

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    glad to see u saw thru the fog. :)