Gender War

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Bbn, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I was watching the all England tapes courtesy of Cheung and

was wondering :

If China held a doubles tournament do you think all the top four

present women's pairs could beat the best of their men.

2. ^shaz^

^shaz^ Regular Member

that would be very interesting to see

3. Lau Hu

Lau Hu Guest

This forum is a place to read interesting stuff about badminton...Let us keep it this way. Can we please do away with this gender war b/s? Can't we just play badmintion as it is being played today? It is enough that we are bombarded with this he versus she crap everyday in every aspect of what we are doing...should we still disccuss this in this forum. I think we have enough topics to discuss in this forum than this gender war.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    LH,

chill. i think Bbn perhaps didn't phrased it correctly. his motive wasn't to try promote a "war" between the guys and gals in the Chinese team, but more pointing out the fact that the ladies are so strong, perhaps they can have a good game against the guys.

and i think Bbn does have an interesting point, if the top 2 ladies pairs are up against the guys pairings, they perhaps can't beat the top chinese (Zhang/Zhang), but the others one, they will definitely have a good game.

5. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Thanks Kwun.

Interesting to note that several local men's ex-internationals

have actually lost matches to the Chinese girls in friendlies.

6. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

True! some ex international men have indeed lost but then i think there is no way a ladies pair will think of even touching a present day worst men's doubles chinese pair! They will get whacked badly!

It is Just like tennis! serena and venus look so much stronger than others but they can never give men the run for their money! I am talking abt Practising men and who play in their circuit!

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

The Williams sisters, now the picture becomes clear.
    I must confess that i have no idea what is happening in the uS nowadays as like many Asians I am becoming very China-centric,all my main interests revolve around going-ons in China
    and around.When I used the phrase "Gender War" I was actually refering to the HK TV series/comedy about a legal firm and starring Zheng Yu Ling not anything remotely concerned with N America as I have absolutely no knowledge of developments there, but I have to qualify myself,to whom I have absolutely nothing against. In fact the posting was targetted to people in Asia.

8. Lau Hu

Lau Hu Guest

Sorry guys, I am just sick and tired of all these he versus she stuff floating around our world today. It just ticks me off when people always wants have to know who's gender is better. Can't we just all get along? These feminists don't have anything productive more to do...don't they? And feminist ideolgy have to be discussed here in this wonderful forum. I hope we can do away from this topic and just discuss purely badminton as it is.

I say...let's play harminious badminton with the females...and not against them.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Lau Hu wrote:

> I say...let's play harminious badminton with the
    > females...and not against them.

surely, you do mean mixed doubles, right?

10. Yogi

Yogi Regular Member

I suppose u got me wrong! there were times when Billey jean King and martina wanted to play in the men's circuit! They thought that they were as good as the men! To prove a point chris evert invited martina to play with her Bro who was not even seeded! He thrashed her 6-0 6-0

There is also the story of Javier sanchez, Arantxa's bro, who thrashed some ladies's player who spoke in similar terms.

Let me get this straight! Women can easily match the men in terms if Tech but never in terms of skill, fitness,power and agility! Men were designed to perform!
    I am no MC and if any lady there took offense to it i am sorry! I am just stating the basic fact! I hope reality does not strike u hard!

11. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Sorry Yogi. Actually all I wanted to say in the first place is that

the Chinese men's doubles are so bad that their women doubles can beat them based on consistency, speed and less tendency to make errors.Period.

12. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Lau Hu wrote:

> I say...let's play harminious badminton with the
    > females...and not against them.

Now, THAT'S a good example of gender-based discrimination if anything!

13. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Now Yogi since there's not really so many objections to this posting I would like to reveal to you that in a recent Thomas/uber cup simulation match some of the Msian Uber Cup players actually beat some of the Boy's juniors (<20's).The girls are no big deal themselves.

What it implies is that badminton need not necessarily be a power game, at times technique,speed,fitness, can blunt all out attack and power,that's what a lot of China doubles may have to face, that's why Xia always loses to Ong Ewe Hock, Hendrawan and Roslin.Quite true also for Table-tennis and bowling, not trrue I beliieve as proved many times in a power game like tennis.Also it is very obvious that China's Zhangs are trying to play 2nd fiddle in T cup.

I hope this is the last posting ion this subject.

14. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Yogi, I am hoping you mispoke because otherwise your post contains a rather dumb, chauvinistic comment: you claimed that women cannot compete with men in terms of "skill, fitness,power and agility." That is at least partially untrue. The most competitive male athlete will be stronger than the most competitive female athlete, will be faster in running but I doubt there would be any significant difference in agililty (i.e., the ability to make short quick movements) and there is absolutely no correlation between gender and skill. Hopefully your comment was merely inadvertently broad.

15. Lau Hu

Lau Hu Guest

This is what I am talking about. Gender war is a very sensitive topic...people should have know better than to start this topic. I always believe that males & females were created to compliment each other...not compete with each other to know who is superior.

In our primordial state, we are truly physical beings. We are given individual physical qualities that we can use everyday. If we truly want to know who is "superior", gender war should be done using only our physical gifts...without any equipment. Why not pair 1 competitor from one side with another from the other side. Put them together in boxing ring and let them try to hurt each other as much as they can. No rules, no gloves, no badminton rackets...just plain old fist to fist. Gender war in a badminton court won't prove anything.

16. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Who started the topic?it was misread in the first place.

Anyway stick to things badminton instead on harping on old

issues. Otherwise just as you do on Tv if you don't like it switch

off.

17. Lau Hu

Lau Hu Guest

Well, things won't be misread if things meant were clear from the start. Who is harping? I think no one was harping. I call this a healthy arguement from one side...which should be returned properly & politely...isn't it? Why ask people to turn off the TV? People may not like a particular show but they can still watch it. We are surely talking about badminton here...right? The best of China's women's team kicking the arses of the best of China's men's team (cause men's team suck)...right? We'll, I think China should consider having an annual competition that will feature this "war". So at least, the men's team will have an interesting motivation to practice more (and live up to their potential)... =)

18. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member