Roslin out to exact revenge

Discussion in '2005 Tournaments' started by ants, Dec 13, 2005.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    TheStar Dec14
    KOTA KINABALU: Three-time national champion Lee Chong Wei reached the men's singles semi-finals in the National Grand Prix Finals at the Likas Sports Complex here yesterday without raising much sweat.

But veteran shuttler Mohd Roslin Hashim warned that it will not be another stroll in the park for Chong Wei when the two clash in the last four today.

Yesterday, Chong Wei took only 26 minutes to beat Lee Tsuen Seng 15-2, 15-4 to emerge as the Group A champion.

Roslin too gave a good show to beat Azrihanif Azahar 15-4, 15-9 to finish as the Group C winner.

The other semi-finals will be between Wong Choong Hann and Yeoh Kay Bin.

Both however, had to toil for their victories over Kuan Beng Hong and Lim Kenn respectively.

After losing to Chong Wei in the Pahang Open final earlier this year, Roslin is determined to exact revenge.

“This is another chance for me to prove myself. Chong Wei has an excellent record but I will try to break it,” said the Nusa Mahsuri shuttler.

Although it has been a hectic year, world No. 3 Chong Wei is determined to win his fourth consecutive national title.

“The real test will start for me tomorrow (today) against Roslin. He has prepared well.

“I may not be in the best conditions but I will try to win my fourth national title here,” said the 23-year-old Danish Open champion.

In the men's doubles, Gan Teik Chai and Mohd Zakry Latifs' great opening day run was ruined when they missed a semi-final berth on countback.

On Sunday, they pulled off a major upset when they downed last year's runners-up Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari and Lin Woon Fui in their Group F match.

Yesterday, Teik Chai-Zakry suffered a huge setback when they were beaten by Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock in the morning while Fairuzizuan-Woon Fui defeated Bin Shen-Soon Hock later in the evening to sneak into the semi-finals.

All the three pairs had won two matches each but Teik Chai-Zakry failed to missed out as they won one game fewer than the other pair.

In the women's singles, 16-year-old Lydia Cheah kept alive her hopes of becoming the youngest Malaysian woman national champion.

Yesterday, she finished as the runner-up to M. Sutheaswari in Group G but it was good enough to qualify for the semi-finals.

The lanky shuttler will take on Julia Wong while defending champion Anita Raj Kaur will square off with Sutheaswari in the other semi-finals.

Said Lydia: “I beat Julia to reach the final in the last year's GP Finals. In the final though, I lost to Anita. I hope to go all the way to win it this time.”