User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 52 to 68 of 81
  1. #52
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Kingston, ON
    Posts
    415
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    IBF method is similar like those of "arab democracy" or "security services" by the mafia. simply, there is no such things. it means dictatorship.

  2. #53
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,239
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    i seem to stumble and trip over alot when i'm about to smash on your half court lifts
    LMAO! Sir, you obviously do not know me if you think I do half court lifts.

    Back to topic: After watching many videos of the new scoring, I hope they can revert back to the old. The matches are done way too fast and there's really no chance for a team behind to come back.
    Last edited by DinkAlot; 12-19-2005 at 01:59 PM.

  3. #54
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    NJ, USA
    Posts
    41
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    Back to topic: After watching many videos of the new scoring, I hope they can revert back to the old. The matches are done way too fast and there's really no chance for a team behind to come back.
    I hope so too. I was watching a doubles match between Cai/Fu and Lun/Eri yesterday and boy was I disappointed. The games just zipped by and I feel the players hardly got any chance to fight back. And moreover, whats up with the new serving rule ? Its as if they are trying to make the doubles more like the singles.

    I hope the old point system is enforced soon to make badminton more enjoyable for everyone.

  4. #55
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by franxon
    let's back to the point.
    Good post Franxon! Couldn't agree more!

    /Twobeer

  5. #56
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default commercialisation is the only way out.

    lemme make a more constructive post after all the negative.

    i'll put my conclusion before i start it: commercialisation is the only way out.

    i kept asking myself why IBF wants to keep badminton matches short and predictable duration?

    I got two answers which make sense to me.

    reason 1: players have more energy per minute to use in the game, making the game more aggressive.

    reason 2: the commercial satelite rentals become more affordable for more sports channels when telecasting badminton live. and more affordable => more sports channels telecasting => more area coverage => more people watching => more people will like it.

    it doesn't matter if these are the true reasons behind, they are the true consequence of the change anyway.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    reason 1 reminds me of one of the major difference between world basketball and NBA: there're two halves in world basketball and 4 quarters in NBA.

    the NBA bosses made it 4 quarters just because of a simplest reason: more fragments, more breaks; more breaks more commercial time; more commercial time, more money. but do your best to remain your audience in their sofa not touching their remote controls. because of the same reason came in the 6 full time-outs and 2 short time-outs for each coach.

    besides, more breaks, more rest time for the players and more energy recovered and therefore more exciting games.

    extend the commercial breaks, not shorten the match duration. that's where money comes in.

    perhaps a 21x5 format would be a better idea? i'm not too sure about that.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    again i'll use tennis as the example. unpredictably long telecasting time is more severe for tennis if it is indeed a problem. but i bet those telecasters would be saying, during a match, "that's a damn good return Rafael, be tough on Roger, make the match tight. and as long as possible. who cares about the telecasting cost?"

    Is ATP worried about the damn unpredictable long match time? you bet. if they're not proud of it!

    as we all know, badminton is certainly an interesting enough sports that deserves more. what IBF needs to do instead would be: go out and get more people sit down and watch and develop an affection towards badminton. and go out and get more sponsors and put another zero to the prize money (at the dollar's position not the cent's). easy to say than do, huh?

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  6. #57
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    After thinking about the comments made in this thread for a little while...

    I give credit to Franxon for backing his views up with very reasonable examples. Fair enough if people prefer the old 15 point system. I must say even I prefer the old system but some of the other posters - we'll call them 'IBF bashers' - are in my opinion being selfish.

    Why? Arguments like 'I wasn't consulted on this issue' and 'Don't change the system' (read I don't want to change) sound to me like they are made by egoist who with narrow-minded thinking.

    Who would think to consult you if the IBF don't know who you are? Stop your whinging and do something about it if you seriously think your lively hood will be affected.

    I agree with Tenepak in giving it a chance before bashing anything new into the grave. Tenepak has just put the same idea in a more deplomatic way.

    Seriously, I think IBF is doing its best to promote the sport, maybe it isn't the right way (time will tell) but what if it is?

    FYI: Volleyball and table tennis seem to have settled on their new scoring systems without too much fuss.

    I'm not saying this is definately the way to do but if someone has a better suggestion and is willing to do something about it be my guest, I'll even support you by signing your piece of paper of a proposal but if not non-constructive criticism isn't the answer.

  7. #58
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    3,989
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by libra
    After thinking about the comments made in this thread for a little while...

    I give credit to Franxon for backing his views up with very reasonable examples. Fair enough if people prefer the old 15 point system. I must say even I prefer the old system but some of the other posters - we'll call them 'IBF bashers' - are in my opinion being selfish.

    Why? Arguments like 'I wasn't consulted on this issue' and 'Don't change the system' (read I don't want to change) sound to me like they are made by egoist who with narrow-minded thinking.

    Who would think to consult you if the IBF don't know who you are? Stop your whinging and do something about it if you seriously think your lively hood will be affected.

    I agree with Tenepak in giving it a chance before bashing anything new into the grave. Tenepak has just put the same idea in a more deplomatic way.

    Seriously, I think IBF is doing its best to promote the sport, maybe it isn't the right way (time will tell) but what if it is?

    FYI: Volleyball and table tennis seem to have settled on their new scoring systems without too much fuss.

    I'm not saying this is definately the way to do but if someone has a better suggestion and is willing to do something about it be my guest, I'll even support you by signing your piece of paper of a proposal but if not non-constructive criticism isn't the answer.
    I can understand that people feel upset with IBF with short notice changing the rules of the game fundamentaly without more local-testing or research.. Using major tournaments as "experiments"...

    I would suspect the reactions would be pretty much the same if IBF decided to try out syntetic shuttles in all major tournaments for a few months...
    You can then easily dissmiss these peoples personal negative experience and opinions about this as "non-constructive" critizism...

    I think it is unfair to dismiss anyone who feels the game is good as it is today.. and doesn't need to be changed in order to market it and popularize it..as non-constructive :-)

    I feel there are lots of things that could be done and a lot of constructive ideas that have been put forward, to for example allow more ad-breaks etc..

    But most activities to drive money to the sport, get it more known, get more air-time etc...Are HARD... not EASY... So my personal suspicsion is that IBF is looking for EASY solutions.. That holy-rule-grail that will suddenly boost the popularity of badminton by a magnitude without any real costs or work associtaed with it (apart from a document signed between the IBF members)..
    I got this feeling first when the 7x5 scoring was tried...

    You could of course be of the opinion that.. lets try it... Even if you don't beleive there is a golden pot at the end of the rainbow.. we should give it a chance...You can't know for sure untile you've tried..

    But I see a danger if we every year.. is trying a slight change of rules or changing the scoring system thinking.. This is the one.. This is the one that will turn everything around :P . It is so easy that we get caught in a destructive thinking of trying to find out "what is wrong with the game". Instead of being proud of a great game with great rules.. and focus on how to sell Badminton.. Not how to change badminton...

    /Twobeer
    Last edited by twobeer; 12-22-2005 at 04:59 PM.

  8. #59
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Montreal (514)
    Posts
    1,229
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twobeer

    and focus on how to sell Badminton.. Not how to change badminton...

    /Twobeer
    I like this!

  9. #60
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    624
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Just read that in a protest to the new scoring system DBF, Danish Badminton Federation, has announced that they will play best of 3*15. As I see it IBF could learn a lot from tennis and soccer and see how they promote the sport.

  10. #61
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    624
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    forgot to mention it was in Copenhagen Masters

  11. #62
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,239
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morten
    Just read that in a protest to the new scoring system DBF, Danish Badminton Federation, has announced that they will play best of 3*15. As I see it IBF could learn a lot from tennis and soccer and see how they promote the sport.
    Good! Maybe that will catch the IBF's attention.

  12. #63
    Regular Member DinkAlot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    dcbadminton.net
    Posts
    12,239
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Originally Posted by twobeer

    and focus on how to sell Badminton.. Not how to change badminton...

    /Twobeer


    Quote Originally Posted by Brave_Turtle
    I like this!
    Me three!

  13. #64
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Manila
    Posts
    174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morten
    Just read that in a protest to the new scoring system DBF, Danish Badminton Federation, has announced that they will play best of 3*15. As I see it IBF could learn a lot from tennis and soccer and see how they promote the sport.
    Great!!!! wonderful news!!!

  14. #65
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Like I said earlier in this thread, what can not survive will die.

    so if the new scoring system stands, it is good. if it is not good enough, no worries, it will die out automatically and the old system will still rock.

    fret not, just give it enough time to die.

    if you don't let IBF try, they always feel ichy about a new scoring system, and they have the power so sooner or later they'll try.

    so just let them try and let them learn from failures. and next time they will be more careful embarrassing themselves.

  15. #66
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    63
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by franxon
    Like I said earlier in this thread, what can not survive will die.

    so if the new scoring system stands, it is good. if it is not good enough, no worries, it will die out automatically and the old system will still rock.

    fret not, just give it enough time to die.

    if you don't let IBF try, they always feel ichy about a new scoring system, and they have the power so sooner or later they'll try.

    so just let them try and let them learn from failures. and next time they will be more careful embarrassing themselves.
    It won't die by itself. It must be helped along to its demise.

    IBF did try this kind of thing before, they failed, they embarrassed themselves, and as far as anybody can tell, haven't learnt from it.

    I think rally21 has a place -- and that place is in club play, in C and D singles tournaments, and in training practice, say if you are playing 2 on 1. It should not be mandatory, it should not be seen in a top-class tournament, and it definitely should not have been imposed on us in such a high-handed way, even as a trial.

  16. #67
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,527
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morten
    Just read that in a protest to the new scoring system DBF, Danish Badminton Federation, has announced that they will play best of 3*15. As I see it IBF could learn a lot from tennis and soccer and see how they promote the sport.
    If what you say is true don't you think it is rather childish for DBF to specifically say they are doing this as a protest to the new scoring system? Or are you doing your own interpretation?
    As a matter of fact, all IBF sanctioned matches that carry world ranking points must use the new system.

  17. #68
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    650
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    why is it childish?

    there isn't anything childish about standing up for what you know to be the truth...........

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. new scoring system?
    By james23336 in forum General Forum
    Replies: 4
    : 05-03-2007, 03:13 PM
  2. New Scoring System (21-Rally point system)
    By MikeJ in forum Jonas Rasmussen Forum
    Replies: 21
    : 06-05-2006, 06:03 AM
  3. Replies: 1
    : 05-12-2006, 08:43 PM
  4. new scoring system- 9x5 !!!!
    By N. Usmani in forum General Forum
    Replies: 11
    : 03-18-2002, 03:31 AM
  5. more on 5x7 scoring system
    By cooler in forum General Forum
    Replies: 3
    : 05-01-2001, 08:04 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •