User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wedgewenis
    why is it childish?

there isn't anything childish about standing up for what you know to be the truth...........
    Agree, there's nothing childish about it. It's the DBF's way of protesting the new scoring. That's all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. There's nothing childish about what DBF is doing. More power to DBF!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally in agreement! DBF and majority of the badminton community probably realise what IBF do not - change what is fundamental to the game and its no longer the same game. Call it tableton or tenniston, it is no longer badminton.

It is very painful to see taneepak keep on defending what is undefensible. He must be one courageous guy!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since we can't do much about IBF's decision. What we can do as individual is to promote badminton to more people. No point complaining even it is good to voice our opinions. We have to start at the micro level. Each of us do our part in the sports of badminton.
    Last edited by ants; 12-25-2005 at 10:43 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wedgewenis
    why is it childish?

there isn't anything childish about standing up for what you know to be the truth...........
    Frankly, I don't believe the DBF deliberately set out to use the 15-0 system as a protest from the DBF. If they publicly did so then it would be childish, which I don't believe they intend to. Saying it publicly for this tournament would be tantamount to playing any IBF sanctioned matches and using the old 15-0 system in Denmark before the critical vote in May 2006.
    What I am saying is the DBF's Copenhagen Masters is being "hijacked" to serve some points of view here. If not, can anyone quote any actual comments from the DBF officials that the DBF is protesting against the new IBF scoring system by using the old system for this tournament?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cooler
    LOL, that phrase remind me of corporate management decision making process.

Club Organizers to Federation VPs: the players say the propose plan is foul smelling and reek of skunk manure.

Federation VPs to Council President: the people say the plan has a strong pungent smell like fementing organic compose.

Council President to IBF Chairman: the people say the plan is like a strong fertilizer.

IBF Chairman: The IBF had listened to the people and this plan will provide nutrient for fantastic growth. I declare the propose plan as corporate policy.

LOL. This made me laugh out loud... reminded me of several big corporations..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wood_22_chuck
    Excellent, ants!

Try not to use the "skunk manure" quote, by the way.

-dave
    Ahaha.. somehow I'm getting the feeling, that post is going to bite me in the behind somewhere down the line...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brits fly flag for jazzed-up game

Duncan Mackay
    Sunday January 22, 2006
    The Observer

For most of the UK's 26 sports present in the programme, the 2012 Olympics in London offers a unique development opportunity. From archery to wrestling, all are already drawing up plans to take advantage of the chance that has landed in their collective laps. Things are already coming together very nicely in badminton, thanks to the continued success enjoyed by Olympic silver medallists Gail Emms and Nathan Robertson, as well as to other planned innovations, ensuring that the profile of the sport is higher than it has ever been.

The feel-good factor was clearly in evidence here at the National Indoor Arena in Birmingham at the All England Open as Emms and Robertson reached their second consecutive final with a comfortable 15-12, 15-4 victory over the Indonesian pair of Nova Widianto and Lilyana Natsir to set themselves up as favourites today to retain the title they won last year.
    The raucous atmosphere created by the capacity crowd of 4,500 was out of keeping with the genteel image most people have of the sport. Emms and Robertson have been critical that, since Athens, rather than capitalise on their newly created media profile, the sport's officials in Britain have largely focused on development at the expense of marketing. But with the emergence of players like Rajiv Ouseph, who in 2005 became the first English player for 20 years to win the European junior men's singles title, and who should be at his peak for 2012, it is a policy that may yield spectacular results.

'We recognise that badminton has an old 'church hall' image of being played by white middle-class people of a certain age,' said Jon Austin, the elite programme manager for Badminton England. 'One of our aims is to redress this situation. As a sport, we have had, until recently, a very low media profile, but with the success and image of Emms and Robertson we've been able to move quickly with limited resources.'

Officials hope the new scoring system to be introduced by the International Badminton Federation next month will help to make it more attractive to television. The traditional three games with the first to 15 is to be dropped and replaced by a new best-of-three, first-to-21-points scoring system. Also under the revised system, points will be scored on every rally and not, as at present, by the serving side only. 'The IBF have received a lot of complaints from TV companies stating that they are not able to allocate some form of timing to badminton matches because at the moment a match can last from 15 minutes to two hours,' said Punch Gunalan, Deputy President of the IBF. Badminton owes its place in the Olympics largely due to Sir Craig Reedie, one of the architects of London's sucessful bid, and a member of the International Olympic Committee. As a former leader of the IBF, Reedie orchestrated the campaign that saw it introduced for the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, where, mainly thanks to its huge popularity in Asia, it drew the largest television audiences for any sport.

Reedie approves of the recent jazzing up of badminton. 'I watched the world championships in Anaheim on television, and there were all sorts of innovations,' he said. 'I thought it was exciting. The sport has to keep up with the best methods of promoting itself - end of story.'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IBF should have some wise opinions and decision... I think that the IBF should ask more players like us, AK team ppl whom alot of players hate the new scoring system and really prefers the old one~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont like the new scoring system, the old one is much better!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea! exactly!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the new scoring system. Why? Because I can never make points if I serve. X_X

Somebody please tell me what I do wrong when I do that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the new scoring system isn't a REALLY bad thing...However, I really do miss the strokes of genius that players had back then. They seem too afraid to take risks and make the game more entertaining for us to watch now. Everyone has to play SO safe.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5