User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GunBlade008
    Well, Lin Dan has a great hard smash and he plays with the AT700, whereas Fu Hai Feng has the hardest/fastest smash in the world and plays with Ti-10. If we followed your logic, then no one would buy AT700 because the fastest smasher in the world plays Ti-10. Another point, they are professionals. Most of us in here are nowhere near their skill level, so a review from other people here, (not pros) are much better as we can relate to one another. And plus if Chire were not an adapt player, and asked which racquet to use as a beginner, would anyone here suggest an MP100 because its the most powerful racquet? I think not.
    Lin Dan is a singles player, Fu is a doubles player. the speed/power of their smashes are not comparable.

and buddy, you didn't really follow my logic.

my logic doesn't suggest that Ti-10 is the hardest smashing racquet, since it is the choice of the hardest smasher. in fact there's no such thing like the hardest smashing racquet in the world. and my logic does not even suggest that Fu Hai Feng smashes the hardest with Ti-10. you must have misread/misunderstood me.

no one knows if Fu smashes harder with another racquet. for example maybe AT700 gives Fu better smashing power but poorer control or something, so Fu doesn't choose it. or maybe he simply doesn't like the painting on AT700 or any weird reason. you never know.

so the fact that he doesn't choose AT700 doesn't tell you anything, except that he is happier with Ti-10 than with AT700 for the time being. it doesn't tell you Fu does not smash as hard with an AT700 as he does with a Ti-10. this is simple logic.

what we know is that he chooses Ti-10. this does tell us something. so buddy, my real logic here is:

a. his choice is definitely not purely based on the racquet's smashing performance in his hand. badminton is not all about smashing. so please never assume Fu Hai Feng or any other pros will choose the best smashing racquets for them, or assume their choice of racquet is their choice of racquet for smash (it is possible, but it is not for certain), and say this is my logic.

b. as a power smasher, his choice is definitely partially based on the racquet's smashing performance in his hand. so, this is for certain, that Fu is happy with Ti-10's smashing performance in his hand. therefore, we can safely say Ti-10 is not a racquet that can not perform smashing well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

reviews from you and I are simply not as helpful/reliable as a pro's choice of racket when choosing a racket. in fact, many of us in the forum are not good enough to review racquets, sorry for the offending. but we do so anyway, because it is a forum and we are here to speak.

if you read carefully, good reviews from cooler, ants & co. are actually saying the same/similiar thing pros' choices of racquet say.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by franxon
    well, as far as i know, chinese national players are NOT paid to use certain models. they gotta choose from Yonex, but which racquet is purely up to themselves. i can't say the same thing for other Yonex sponsored pros though.
    I should have said sponsored to use Yonex rackets.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

reviews from you and I are simply not as helpful/reliable as a pro's choice of racket when choosing a racket. in fact, many of us in the forum are not good enough to review racquets, sorry for the offending. but we do so anyway, because it is a forum and we are here to speak.

if you read carefully, good reviews from cooler, ants & co. are actually saying the same/similiar thing pros' choices of racquet say.
    Agree and disagree. General reviews are not optimum but neither are the pros. The majority do not play anywhere near the pro level. Like you said, the pros are given certain options and they choose.

I've talked to some pros and when you ask them about their racket of choice, they are very vague. They mostly say something like "this racket feels good to me" or "this is the racket I prefer". You have to really pry to get some very specific information and even then they will tell you the most important thing is not the racket but your technique, shot selection and footwork. Of course if they are sponsored by a certain company, they tell you to try the rackets with that company and see what you like best.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rodistyle
    i have an armortec 800de 4U G4 and i use it mainly for singles. it's probably the most amazing racquet ive ever used. the only negative is that the smashing is not very strong. compared to racquets like at700, mp99 or ns8000, the at800de can't compare.
    See? This is all relative to the user. For me, I can hit relatively hard with an AT800-DE as I could with the above referenced rackets. I actually think I can smash harder with the DE then the NS8000 and MP99. But it would be minor differences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    I've talked to some pros and when you ask them about their racket of choice, they are very vague. They mostly say something like "this racket feels good to me" or "this is the racket I prefer". You have to really pry to get some very specific information and even then they will tell you the most important thing is not the racket but your technique, shot selection and footwork. Of course if they are sponsored by a certain company, they tell you to try the rackets with that company and see what you like best.
    you are right. not that pros don't want to tell you more about racquets, but that more often than not, they don't know that much about racquets. don't be surprised. :-D , when talking about racquets, i think many of us here can give a lecture to many top-line pros. but unfortunately they might not come 'cuz they don't need that kind of knowledge, and that's why they don't know that much about it.

but their hands have the best feel. their hands can accurately tell them what works for them and what doesn't. factors like control, smashing power etc are considered, but not from the specs database but from the feel of their hands. so they simply try out everything available to decide their racquet, string, tension etc at zero cost. and when new products come, they just try and decide whether they want to make a shift or stick.

I once asked Zhao Jian Hua why he chose a high tension when he was playing the tournaments, his answer was surprisingly something like: "i liked the sound when hitting the cock". you can't believe that's how Zhao Jian Hua chose his racquet tension.

technology does help the players play better and change the game over the time. but since almost everyone benefits equally from the technology, it's even out. what's in pros' mind is definitely the player-ralated issues rather than racquet-ralated ones.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I once asked Zhao Jian Hua why he chose a high tension when he was playing the tournaments, his answer was surprisingly something like: "i liked the sound when hitting the cock". you can't believe that's how Zhao Jian Hua chose his racquet tension.
    I believe this as I asked 4-5 pros why they played with high tension and they said the same thing. They said it sounded good and that's all they cared about.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's probably the sound tone itself (for people who know music and play instruments, you know what I mean), the pro's are referring to. If that's the case, I set my tention to have a C# to clearing/smashing impact.
    Last edited by Matt; 12-23-2005 at 11:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of arguments on what and how should I decide on the racket yeah.

As for when I decided to get the AT500s of mine, I completely based my decision on the BC forum user reviews. I approached the matter the same way as GunBlade008; if a lot of users give out their recommendation/review, it must be a safe choice to get . Like, as with DinkAlot's idea, the users recommendations/reviews being closer to the optimum than those of the pros' (I hope I got your idea right).

Hm I don't think I clearly pointed it out though; AT500 being rated "stiff" with Yonex' scale, is WAY too flexible for me. I've no need for such forgiveness from a racket, nor do I consider myself a beginner, training 6+ times a week. I look for something more specialized to a style of play (offensive), without sacrificing control or too much manouverability. AT500 is a great all-arounder suiting somewhat everyone, but none of its abilities is anyhow special. What's more, stiffer rackets give me better feel, so currently my faith lies in MP-99 or (possibly) MP-100.

The problem with pros is that they're usually too dedicated to their playing style. Like, singles players are truly only singles players and oriented only to that. Besides, they usually completely rely on their strong abilities.

Anyhow, I think franxon's logic really has a point: A racket has to have good smashing capabilities, but it must be able to execute other kinds of shots as well, not being too dedicated to the smashing feature (please tell me I got this right). So this time, I've been researching the pros' playing styles and their rackets. Of course the ones who see pros playing, try to imitate their shots execution and overall technique (possibly even unconsciously). Besides, even if my technique isn't the level of theirs, my playing style may be quite much equal to theirs, and that's why choosing the same racket would be at least somehow logical.

As for pros, the best way I think, to compare the rackets' features is to see how well the same player executed certain shots with his old racket and with his new one. For example, Lin Dan used MP-99 2U before, now he uses AT700 3U. The problem is though, that he might have increased some of his capabilities.

But as I said, every kind of opinion is appreciated, so if I'm any satisfied with my choice eventually, my gratitude lies mostly in you!

Anywho, Merry Christmas folks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chire
    What's more, stiffer rackets give me better feel, so currently my faith lies in MP-99 or (possibly) MP-100.

As for pros, the best way I think, to compare the rackets' features is to see how well the same player executed certain shots with his old racket and with his new one. For example, Lin Dan used MP-99 2U before, now he uses AT700 3U. The problem is though, that he might have increased some of his capabilities.
    not only comparing the racquets a player used and uses can tell you something, comparing the different players/styles who use the same racquet also tells you a lot about what this racquet can do.

but personally i still think the best way to choose a racquet is to try out first, otherwise, even if the racquet you buy works well for you, you still don't know if other racquets you don't buy will work better and your heart is still not in peace . there certainly are some MPs and/or ATs around you, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hm that could be a better way. Just that different players' physical strengths don't match, they may be a whole lot different, even if they play with the same style.

Well in fact, the closest place from which I can buy Yonex stuff is located almost 300 kilometers (190 miles) from me. As almost everyone here plays with Victor rackets, so other than me, I don't know a single person within the radius of 100 kilometers (60 miles) who has a Yonex Armortec/Nanospeed racket. There are a few in my club who have Muscle Power 24 and 30 though.

From the few sports shops that sell Yonex rackets locally, I'd have to order the high-end models without having the possibility of trying them out beforehand. That's the problem since there aren't any badminton (or tennis or somesuch racket sports) specialized shops around. The shops that sell badminton products in addition to their range of overall sports products, usually have a very limited range of badminton rackets, usually just the Yonex older and cheaper models.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you cannot try out high-end Yonex rackets, then I recommend you buy another brand.

In my view, trying the racket is far more important than buying a Yonex. No matter how well you do your research, it's all just guesswork unless you try the racket first.

If everyone near you plays with Victor, then maybe you should try Victor. At least that way, you are guaranteed a racket that suits you.

I like Yonex, but other companies make good rackets too.

Ultimately, the racket does not matter very much. Get a high-end racket from any reputable manufacturer, with a balance and weight that suits you. It will be fine.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    Ultimately, the racket does not matter very much. Get a high-end racket from any reputable manufacturer, with a balance and weight that suits you. It will be fine.
    Vote for this week's best post...maybe be post evAR! (at least on BC)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DinkAlot
    Vote for this week's best post...maybe be post evAR! (at least on BC)
    Stop it.....you're making me blush

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gollum
    Stop it.....you're making me blush

LOL Mike!

Seriously though, the reason why I say this is, recently, I've been trying all sorts of different rackets. Just about all the top end ones are good. I see the racket performance gap closing so much that for example, for someone to say Racket X is defintively better than Racket Y, to me not an accurate statement. It maybe for that person but certainly not for everyone.

Anyway, I have to stop trying rackets, I like so many of them...maybe that's why Cooler and ForrestYung have like hundreds of rackets each.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Decided to get AT800 Offensive

I am by no means trying to revive this thread, just to let those know who helped me by sharing their views in this thread, which I'm very grateful for, that I've finally made up my mind.
    I chose to buy a couple of AT800 Offensive 3UG3 DK rackets, that should be arriving on Friday, BG-80 at factory tension.

So anyway, if anyone needs some input concerning the AT800 Offensive, I'd be glad to help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, in any case, good luck with your playing! At800 is a great racquet, but it takes awhile to get used to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just generally like to know what you feel about it now ? Im thinking of getting a new racket too and i think the rackets you had in mind are more or less what im targetting as well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast